Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint isn't a farmer, firewood guy, or weekend warrior. He is a full time, professional faller who cuts 6 days a week and has survived several cutbacks and personnel changes on his job. He puts loads of trees right where he wants them every day.
Logging is a weird field if it's cool to bag on a successful fellow pro's technique in a public forum

Hey...easy on that word "PRO"....pftt...I'm just hungry...lmao!

Oh crap...how did I get into this! LMAO! Jon...me and 056 kid are tight! LOL! He ain't baggin on me...LOL!

Hey 056 Kid, how did your fishing trip go? Did ya fill yer freezer?
unfortunately its the driest its ever been here so all the fish are still out at sea. The river is dead right now. I did gather a bunch of delicious muscles though. I'm glad I came.

Christ- I'm gone for a little while and this thread gets soft...

Anyway- Icepick and I finished up cutting a job today. Mostly nice red and white oak. It was above zero today too, wind chill and all! They're talkin about 50 below with the wind for tomorrow night. Should be fun. This job was an MFL piece and there were several acres of pine and spruce that had to be thinned. One hell of a pace change from 500 bf red and white oaks. Had to tough it out. I don't get how anyone could stay in business hand thinning conifers like this. I hear there are guys who still do it though.

Pine thinning.jpg

One of the taller red oaks from this morning. It was 50 ft to the top. A few trees later I had one that was 56 ft to the top. Might be my tallest red ever. Made 4 10s and a 12. Most of the red oaks I cut today were pushing 7-800 bf a piece I'll bet.
Decentoak.jpg

Clint- when you first put into your back cut when swinging that pine, I thought he is cutting too close to the hinge on the near side. You gotta save that wood for later. Keep the near side wood fat and work that far side off. Keep an eye on the top and nip away or rip away accordingly. It seemed that you didn't quite swing it as far as the face or maybe as far as you wanted? Maybe just the camera angles. The majority of your holding wood needs to be on the outside of the near side. I tried finding a good stump pic, but I can't go back through my old pictures on here and I can't find where I saved it. Otherwise man, its looking good. Like Ted said though, you start opening up faces and you can do all sorts of cools stuff. That and max steerage.

Attachments

• Pine thinning.jpg
    Pine thinning.jpg
    106.8 KB
  • Decentoak.jpg
    Decentoak.jpg
    112.6 KB

Clint- when you first put into your back cut when swinging that pine, I thought he is cutting too close to the hinge on the near side. You gotta save that wood for later. Keep the near side wood fat and work that far side off. Keep an eye on the top and nip away or rip away accordingly. It seemed that you didn't quite swing it as far as the face or maybe as far as you wanted? Maybe just the camera angles. The majority of your holding wood needs to be on the outside of the near side. I tried finding a good stump pic, but I can't go back through my old pictures on here and I can't find where I saved it. Otherwise man, its looking good. Like Ted said though, you start opening up faces and you can do all sorts of cools stuff. That and max steerage.

Honestly bitzer it didn't go as far as I had faced it...but I agknowledged that in the video. I tell ya what messed that cut up more than anything...my backcut slid under a herd resin knot on the back cut...you can see me look at it and come out to release it then the tree went ahead and started swinging. Had that tab not been there it would have swung further due to it would have been moving progressively and not all at once. Actually where it fell was fine, the top hit the skid trail I was aiming at and I took down zero save timber.

But just yes it came off too quick....I admitted it in the video though...so that has to count for something right? LOL! Hope ya had a good Christmas and New Year. Stay safe.

Honestly bitzer it didn't go as far as I had faced it...but I agknowledged that in the video. I tell ya what messed that cut up more than anything...my backcut slid under a herd resin knot on the back cut...you can see me look at it and come out to release it then the tree went ahead and started swinging. Had that tab not been there it would have swung further due to it would have been moving progressively and not all at once. Actually where it fell was fine, the top hit the skid trail I was aiming at and I took down zero save timber.

But just yes it came off too quick....I admitted it in the video though...so that has to count for something right? LOL! Hope ya had a good Christmas and New Year. Stay safe.
Sorry, I watched it with the sound off. My computer is all ****ed up. Anyway more hold wood would have gotten you there. And yes I did have some good holidays! Hope yours were good as well! I gotta hit the sack.

Anyway- Icepick and I finished up cutting a job today. Mostly nice red and white oak. It was above zero today too, wind chill and all! They're talkin about 50 below with the wind for tomorrow night. Should be fun. This job was an MFL piece and there were several acres of pine and spruce that had to be thinned. One hell of a pace change from 500 bf red and white oaks. Had to tough it out. I don't get how anyone could stay in business hand thinning conifers like this. I hear there are guys who still do it though.

View attachment 326057

One of the taller red oaks from this morning. It was 50 ft to the top. A few trees later I had one that was 56 ft to the top. Might be my tallest red ever. Made 4 10s and a 12. Most of the red oaks I cut today were pushing 7-800 bf a piece I'll bet.
View attachment 326062

Sorry I took off in a rush bob. I dropped that 35+" red oak as careful as I could, as not to crack the leaders. Well I dropped her as flat as I could but the one leader still cracked. Then I made the mistake of answering my wife's phone call, started rushing to buck it up, got my bar pinched on the cracked leader, you may have heard the expletives, cut myself free, my wife called again then I stormed out dragging my freed bar and chain and jugs through the snow, mumbling the whole time under my breath thinking somehow the wife was hearing it. We had a good talk later in the day.

Sorry I took off in a rush bob. I dropped that 35+" red oak as careful as I could, as not to crack the leaders. Well I dropped her as flat as I could but the one leader still cracked. Then I made the mistake of answering my wife's phone call, started rushing to buck it up, got my bar pinched on the cracked leader, you may have heard the expletives, cut myself free, my wife called again then I stormed out dragging my freed bar and chain and jugs through the snow, mumbling the whole time under my breath thinking somehow the wife was hearing it. We had a good talk later in the day.

I was just finishing my section and walking over to yours when I saw you packing out. It looked like you were on a mission. I also saw you dump that one with the fork. You laid it as flat as can be. The wood in the split of the last log was all gray and weathered. Must have been split already. It was ****ed when it was standing. I had to swing one that was similar to that and I laid it out nice and purdy. Saved out really good. Its just luck of the draw sometimes. I just barely got the rest of the trees cut. It was on my last chain that I was really horsein on and my last drops of fuel. Snapped my only av mount on the back handle on the last tree. I was runnin my old 390 and had already stolen one of the springs for my newer 390, just pushin it too hard. I don't know what was in that wood, but chains going dull every three trees sucked ass. I'll miss the big timber, but not that part. I was ****ing beat as hell yesterday. That dull chain crap really beats you up. That Packer loss sucked last night too. Hope your home today with 40 below out. I am.

IP are you telling on yourself? LOL! Bob don't give a shat. If you ever get in real trouble and piss him off...just let me know and I will make a video with a huge ass'd open face cut about knee high...that'll put a smile on his face! THH!

just joking bitz! LULLZ!
If you make a high stump with a nice wide face I may shat!

that's why I hate a cell phone.......put it in a face.
Yep. Remember when a guy could get away with a few things? Nobody knew where you were at all times? You could throw a few back at the bar and no one was the wiser? My dad told me he used to leave the house to go ice fishing on a Saturday morning and he would roll back in about dinner time Sunday night. No call, no word. Amazing my mom hung around. It was different then and that was only 20 years ago. Christ I'm AWOL for an hour and I'm getting bitched at, "where the hell are you!?" All this technology and staying in touch crap, social networking, etc. just gets more people into more trouble. Its nice for calling in log trucks and such, but that's about it.

Just don't answer the ****ing thing, no different then being at home, I'm in the woods sorry I didn't have reception works pretty good. Of course I'm spoiled and she hardly ever calls, if she does its something important anyway...

I have an interesting tree to get down in the next few weeks, its just a piddly little alder, but it gots some crazy assed lean to it, probably close to 100' tall and only about 14" on the stump... leaning towards the neighbors chicken coop. Probably end up using every trick in my book on this one. Course its going to take all ****ing day to rig up and its probably only worth about $300. but its cock blocking nearly half an acre of good timber.

Clint, I mighta kept up with you in my mid 30s lol. nice pace as allways bro, your faces look better every vid ya post.
is all y'alls pine short needle? those trees do look mature by their form no matter the size.

Man Mike, I really don't know. I always just called it yellow pine. Foresters say there is Loblolly in FS stuff...but you can't tell a absolute bit of difference in the two standing beside each other. I was walking with a project manager once and wanted him to show me the Loblolly stand he said was in the back of the unit...he couldn't pick out where it stopped or started...looks the same to me.

Latest posts

Back