Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell by the needles on the ground. mostly our lobs have 5-6" needles, but we have a few short needle 3-4" needles. they are different subspieces of yellow pine. just seems you have a lot of short there. foresters here don't seem to care about the old species. I have noticed at least 4 different yellow pines and Virginia pine and a white pine once in a while.

Well it did cut pretty hard, very similar to a white oak the same size. I just figured it was due to the compression wood from the weight of the top. The back sawed easier. But all and all it was harder than the rest of the red oak I cut today. I cut a couple red oaks that were up above the one in the video, the heart was more pale and they cut like warm butter. I lost 4ft off the butt and still had 25" on the small end of the 3rd tie...damn nice tree, had 3 limbs on the log! Too bad it was rotten.

Nice videos Clint. I bet the weight of the 372 is nice but I imagine you miss the torque of the 66, or not really?

Thanks Jake! Eh, IDK...I think I would have liked to try the 288 on it with a better chain. That chain was sharpened about two sharpenings away from the witness marks, I think there was room for improvement. I never was bothered by the weight of the 660, I just wish it reved out better. I been cutting with it lately in hardwood. I broke my fricken Spencer tape and been using a 20" bar to mark the tie logs.

yea they like white oak. my forester said they are white but sure looks red to me. that tree old for sure bro, strait too.
Hey man there is an oak up there that I don't know what it is. I'm not cutting it but it would be around same age as the one in the video. It's got different bark than I am used to ever seeing. I couldn't find any acorns around the tree...it's got real thick deep grooved bark, light in color. I will take a video of it 2moro.

Hey man there is an oak up there that I don't know what it is. I'm not cutting it but it would be around same age as the one in the video. It's got different bark than I am used to ever seeing. I couldn't find any acorns around the tree...it's got real thick deep grooved bark, light in color. I will take a video of it 2moro.
chinquapin?

chinquapin?
Are you talking about that chinquapin oak? See, IDK what that is...our chinquapin are related to the chestnut with really prickly seed pods in large clusters. I haven't ever seen a large one of those...they are generally scrubby looking and prolly an 8 inch stump would be large. I have seen pictures of chinquapin oak leaves but those don't have the big clusters of seed pods.

Are you talking about that chinquapin oak? See, IDK what that is...our chinquapin are related to the chestnut with really prickly seed pods in large clusters. I haven't ever seen a large one of those...they are generally scrubby looking and prolly an 8 inch stump would be large. I have seen pictures of chinquapin oak leaves but those don't have the big clusters of seed pods.
Yes, the oak one. They look a lot like a white oak, but not exactly. I cut some of them off some limestone rock bars in Tennessee. 2 12'rs type of trees.

Are you pretty familiar with rough ground post oak? There is quite a bit of it on this place. I was down loading a couple videos and didn't take my camera to the woods today. I am cutting Sunday and will get some footage of this tree. Age is hard to determine on thi timber...I cut a whopper post oak around 3 1/2 across the stump, I bet that tree was 100+ years...it was sound too! LOL!

I got a 4 hour headstart in some pine and oak the other day, I held off 2 skidders for 7 days with them finally catching me on the 6th day while cutting oak. This was all sloped ground and their removal was pretty hard on them. Everyday at about my 7th hour, my legs were jelly. You start out feeling like a bad ass then by the end you feel like a worm with the **** slung out of him. Fun though watching 2 skidders get your material out.

Is it a bur oak Clint? Usually pretty thick bark. Tannish. They can grow fairly tall and straight in the right settings. Form is like a regular white oak. Still don't know how to access my old pictures otherwise I'd throw one up. I may have you in stump time Clint, but I think you'd kick my ass in stamina!

Latest posts

Back