Farmer Chainsaw Choice. How long do chains really last with good care?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually today Oregon EXL is superior to Stihl RS within Hardness . Far superior to the old Oregon LGX . I sharpen a few dozen chains a week . Grind another couple dozen specialty chains square & round weekly . My go to chain for fire wood service is Carelton out of Quebec , (very good metallurgy) it's old school profile (longer cutter) is quite effective within gnarly wood especially in semi chisel . I usually square grind a few loops of Carelton with a modified gullet for Moose camp where we usually have a few bucking competitions prior to breaking camp . Recently I have ordered , a few more loops of Lazer chain out of London Ontario , which has shown some very good abrasive resistance at a very competitive price point . Nothing wrong with Stihl RS out of the box , just getting a little pricy of late IMHO .
He clearly hasn't ran any of the new oregon or husqys in house made chains to still be making those comments.
Interesting to hear about the laser chain, I wouldn't have guessed it be good quality.

He clearly hasn't ran any of the new oregon or husqys in house made chains to still be making those comments.
Interesting to hear about the laser chain, I wouldn't have guessed it be good quality.
Yeah , the metallurgy recipe changes fast . The LGX was a poor product for professional usage . So I understand his comments Sean , especially with the Oregon & Carelton merger . The Laser is currently being manufactured in Quebec via Carelton which always produced old school quality chain. The word is that Laser will soon be manufactured down south in your neck of the woods brother , via Oregon e.g.: poor mans EXL within Pennsylvania . Quality chain brother for the price !

Hey...we all gotta start somewhere. I'll bet you've made up for lost time!

Rich
You betcha. I can dig for a foundation, pour the footers, lay up block and brick, install the framing, windows and doors, kitchens baths, sheetrock, wiring, plumbing, and just about everything except roofs now that I am in pain that could cause a fall.

I regularly true my bars & dress the rails & clean the groove every 4 sharpenings . Often I will flip the bar afterwards . I do not buy greasable roller tip bars , the winter grade bar oil I use annually migrates & effectively oils the roller tip adequately . I have never wore out a bar tip . I like his bar dresser , I will check it out online .
Looks useful!

Yeah , the metallurgy recipe changes fast . The LGX was a poor product for professional usage . So I understand his comments Sean , especially with the Oregon & Carelton merger . The Laser is currently being manufactured in Quebec via Carelton which always produced old school quality chain. The word is that Laser will soon be manufactured down south in your neck of the woods brother , via Oregon e.g.: poor mans EXL within Pennsylvania . Quality chain brother for the price !
Good to know, ill be in the market for some 36" loops before the end of the year. I have several laser rebranded tsumura bars so it's no surprise they are re branding chain as well. You know if it's just std 3/8 or the low pro and .325 as well?

Good to know, ill be in the market for some 36" loops before the end of the year. I have several laser rebranded tsumura bars so it's no surprise they are re branding chain as well. You know if it's just std 3/8 or the low pro and .325 as well?
I'll pm you Sean , i deal with their largest distributor in Ontario .

Latest posts

Back