Found me a Jonsereds silver top! PB you out there? Other Jonsereds fans welcomed too!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did take a few pics of the silver top....however, the light was very poor and it was with my cel.

If it turns out to be a Jonsered 621 (I'll defer to the more knowledgeable folks on that call) needing parts, shoot me a PM. Maybe we can work out a trade.....but no teenagers :msp_lol:!

Bad picture, but it most likely is a 621.

I concur Niko....no long black saftey lock out running down the top of the trigger handle as an 80 would have. 621 it is...

All signs point toward a 621.

I will also say 621. The trigger lock out is a dead give away, good catch Robin. It looks like the Mac on the left is of the 10-10 size, and the 80 is a larger saw. The Jonsered looks to be about the same size as the Mac, although much better looking.

:cheers:

I will also say 621. The trigger lock out is a dead give away, good catch Robin. It looks like the Mac on the left is of the 10-10 size, and the 80 is a larger saw. The Jonsered looks to be about the same size as the Mac, although much better looking.

:cheers:

Yeah the 62/621 are the only modern (AV) Jonsereds to have a different lock out.

Easy on the eyes, and much easier on the ears and hands.:msp_thumbup:

LOLOL!!! Eric you sure got that right!!!!!!

Yeah but, I like people to know when I fire up a saw. Sadly, my 621's rarely get a work out anymore with so many yellow and black ones to exercise. Niko is absolutely correct, the 621 was way ahead of it's time in design and features, and I bought mine in 1981.

My 910 and 930 don't get out much either these days. If I weren't so fond of them I might offer them up for sale or trade...have to keep at least one 621 just for old times sake.

Mark

I also found a silvertop Jonsereds, but not narrowed it down to wich model. Sorry no pics (wife lost the camera). It's got a 54mm piston, decomp on top of jug just to the left of spark plug, round air filter that comes ou the back of the top cover, points ignition.

Any help in figuring it out would be appriciated.

I also found a silvertop Jonsereds, but not narrowed it down to wich model. Sorry no pics (wife lost the camera). It's got a 54mm piston, decomp on top of jug just to the left of spark plug, round air filter that comes ou the back of the top cover, points ignition.

Any help in figuring it out would be appriciated.

Well Stump...What you have found is more than likely an 80 with a 90 top end installed...OR it could POSSIBLY be a 90 with an 80 motor cover and intake setup installed. Other than the top covers and air filter systems (and the P&C) these saws were pretty much the same. Though some folks later installed a decomp on the 80 cyl they were 52MM. The 90 came with the decomp and were 54MM. The 90 top end bolts right up as the cases are the same....kinda like a factory big bore kit. The only thing you had to do was cut a hole in the "silver top" to allow for the decomp. The 90 had a far superior air filter setup as compared the round "window screen" filters of the 80 and 621 and the cover was black rather than silver. It sounds like you have a nice big old Jonsereds...I would love to have one like it and have been keeping an eye out for a good 90 top end to do the same thing as I have three non running 80s to play with not including the running one in my sig. Good luck....:cheers:

P.S. Just remembered....the recoils are different from the 80 to the 90...the 80 has a flat screen air intake on the recoil similar to the 621 and the 90 has the larger rounded air intake which looks similar to the 70E. This may help a bit more with identifying your saw.

Last edited:
Well Stump...What you have found is more than likely an 80 with a 90 top end installed...OR it could POSSIBLY be a 90 with an 80 motor cover and intake setup installed. Other than the top covers and air filter systems (and the P&C) these saws were pretty much the same. Though some folks later installed a decomp on the 80 cyl they were 52MM. The 90 came with the decomp and were 54MM. The 90 top end bolts right up as the cases are the same....kinda like a factory big bore kit. The only thing you had to do was cut a hole in the "silver top" to allow for the decomp. The 90 had a far superior air filter setup as compared the round "window screen" filters of the 80 and 621 and the cover was black rather than silver. It sounds like you have a nice big old Jonsereds...I would love to have one like it and have been keeping an eye out for a good 90 top end to do the same thing as I have three non running 80s to play with not including the running one in my sig. Good luck....:cheers:

P.S. Just remembered....the recoils are different from the 80 to the 90...the 80 has a flat screen air intake on the recoil similar to the 621 and the 90 has the larger rounded air intake which looks similar to the 70E. This may help a bit more with identifying your saw.

Thanks buddy, With that info It's gotta be a 90, the jug is 54mm, big rounded recoil, but appearently with an 80 top. Thats what was throwin me off lookin it up on Acres site.

Did I mention it runs, I had to clean the points, & gonna put a carb kit and fuel lines/filter. The best part is I saved it out of the "saw box" at the scrap yard!!!:msp_thumbsup: I do need a Top handle fer it,, I tried to sraiten it but it started to crack. It's still useable.

Excellent good save!!! Perhaps the ninty suffered damage and all they had was an 80 top and intake to replace it with. It should make prety good power. It's quite hard to find a straight handle for those as they are large pro saws and were worked pretty hard by the owners as a rule.

Thanks buddy, With that info It's gotta be a 90, the jug is 54mm, big rounded recoil, but appearently with an 80 top. Thats what was throwin me off lookin it up on Acres site.

Did I mention it runs, I had to clean the points, & gonna put a carb kit and fuel lines/filter. The best part is I saved it out of the "saw box" at the scrap yard!!!:msp_thumbsup: I do need a Top handle fer it,, I tried to sraiten it but it started to crack. It's still useable.

A genuine Frankensaw then - regardless which model it originally was.

It still is a good find! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back