Four hundred and fifty dollars worth please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemandan

Tree Freak
Reaction score
bigoak002.jpg

bigoak003.jpg

bigoak004.jpg

We just took out the major dead of this really nice old oak tree belonging to a young couple who had just bought the house.
He mentioned something about the 2 branches still over his house but that was his budget. We got the dead stuff and that was it. He agreed to that beforhand, that was what was written- Major deadwood to be removed... so we did.
Four and 1/2 hours at an easy pace. I climbed with both ends of my 200 footer and another 150 footer. I ttied mt TIP at the last stop( that's the very last crotch safe enough to tie into at the center of the tree. I was all over with the other ropes as well. I had set a few lowering lines before I went up , still I had to pull a lot of rope today, it was fun, good time, went well.

Took a crotch in another oak for lowering some of it off the house

bigoak005.jpg

bigoak006.jpg

bigoak007.jpg

bigoak008.jpg

bigoak009.jpg

Nice work Dan! I love feeding dead limbs through the chipper. Did the homeowner fish for the "how much to cut a tree like this down?" price.

Nice work Dan! I love feeding dead limbs through the chipper. Did the homeowner fish for the "how much to cut a tree like this down?" price.

No, thank God. Its the specimen of the neighborhood, I am at 222 he is 245, its was a refferal, I did stuff for the neighbors. The one guy has a homeade OWB, burns year round.

The kid, (HO) was good, we talked, he heard, as I was walking away he calls me back. No signature, word of mouth, he got what we were going to do on paper though and we did it.
HE looked around for prices and listened to others and doesn't have a lot of cash. I remember my first house, I thought we were doomed. He mentioned paying in cash so I dropped the price, there were many crinkled 5 dollar bills... and 5 ones.
I would have liked to blow the gutters but I might have broke them and for the money I didn't want the risk. The place could use a roof, we were limb nurses in a maternity ward with it. We took the light down. Tell OD ladders are Ok and nobody is lazy around here.
Jesse and I took some pretty big ( about 10 limbs of 7 to 12 in dia) I got anything the would hit the house. The tree has some cankers and funky crotches but what can you do. I went around pretty good, Jesse did too, on the roof, in the yard, behind the chipper. I held the butt line for some which we just let down on the low roof or swung off. Some small stuff we brought tip tied through the middle. I actually used the pole about 10 times. I don't like that thing. Some of the white eyes from the front door side are from previous bad cuts and whatnot.
I used the 3/4 3strand ( well its a little thinner theses days) for working the thick crotches running slow on the butt line in these situations, use the 16 strand for the tip. I think before you head up a tree like this you take time to set numerous lines, then go to wawa for coffee and doughnuts. After all that zinging my fingers were numb but it got better with the hot coffee... and of course the doughnuts. Total time working on this job was approx 4 hours 2 guys.
Now the HO did ask me about the 2 limbs. Yeah, the little guy should come off, and we can get it, just not for 450. I hope I did right by everyone. One thing always echos in my head: " Just don't be giving it away you moron". I don't know, we talked about pruning it and getting limbs off, he said deadwood. He was thinking ' minimalist', so was I.

Last edited:
Guys wanna see something funny?

Tell Mandanman, I would like to make you MY climber. LMAOBTHIWBSY

That's short for...Laughin' my ass off big time here I wouldn't bull#### ya. :hmm3grin2orange:

Wha? Bu? huh? Whoa! I think you got us confused with some people you might be used to. Hey, that saw remark? Just playing but MAN ! The Dan don't like to see that, no sir.

And yes, yes you would. I bet you would like that very much, He gets that alot.

I did, I remember now. I told him I would clean up the the big oak real good around the bottom and raise it,also run up the oak on the left to crash out the dead for 750, he said "just the dead in the big oak then?" I said 500, he said yes and wrote 480 ( I am cool) he said cash my eyes lit up like a crack whore who sees, well, crack. No, just joking about the crack thing, the rest went down verbatum.

I did 5 of those on Thursday in around 3.5 hours. No rigging, transferred from tree to tree for the first two, and was able to reach the third with the Hayauchi. On the fourth I came down to reset and did transferred to the fifth.

The only goof I had was when I got up into #4 I saw some some dead i needed the polesaw to get. Turned around and thought I could get the stuff over my head too. In my preclimb plan they I was going to climb out some laterals and then up towards my tie-in, then get those with the 020t.

Ouch, big but on my foot, big bruise on the arch metatarsals. For a few minutes I was worried about a break too. Self-insult to self-injury, I then followed my original climb plan and had that cut right in my face !d'Oh!

Yes i did but only when I had to go up, not when I was coming down.

4.5 hours for $450 seems a bit low but im sure you realize that after reading your other posts. Did you really spur the tree or are you joking?

From the way you described it I would of most likely charged $700-$800 depending on difficulty. The pictures don't really show what you did clearly though.

4.5 hours for $450 seems a bit low but im sure you realize that after reading your other posts. Did you really spur the tree or are you joking?

From the way you described it I would of most likely charged $700-$800 depending on difficulty. The pictures don't really show what you did clearly though.

No they don't show very well. We did go get coffee with those four and 1/2 hours... doughnuts too. Yes 700 to 800 would have gotten that one last limb over the house off for sure and that was what I thought I would want to work on this tree. I have to work with a budget, their budget. hence the title of the post. I did go and do a little more cause I was there but the one limb is kinda like a statement, its when the meter ran out. The HO told me his budget and we went with that. Minus a few butt logs what you see behind the chipper.
No spikes on The Dan, its a thing of elegant beauty none can deny. I did see wounds that looked like previous spike marks made by my ancestors. I once saw a guy about to spike a tree like that, I fainted. i learned to climb before I got used to spikes. I actually move slower in the tree with them. Every step the gaff has to be in a certain spot to work right but with your feet you can just tip-toe through the tulips... or in this case surf through an oak tree. Climbing around crotches that big is reminecsant of caving, its really cool.

Last edited:
I did 5 of those on Thursday in around 3.5 hours. No rigging, transferred from tree to tree for the first two, and was able to reach the third with the Hayauchi. On the fourth I came down to reset and did transferred to the fifth.

The only goof I had was when I got up into #4 I saw some some dead i needed the polesaw to get. Turned around and thought I could get the stuff over my head too. In my preclimb plan they I was going to climb out some laterals and then up towards my tie-in, then get those with the 020t.

Ouch, big but on my foot, big bruise on the arch metatarsals. For a few minutes I was worried about a break too. Self-insult to self-injury, I then followed my original climb plan and had that cut right in my face !d'Oh!

Five? What were you sick?:cheers:

Yeah, the plan changes, you just move around, with a set of eyes on the ground its not that bad.

No they don't show very well. We did go get coffee with those four and 1/2 hours... doughnuts too. Yes 700 to 800 would have gotten that one last limb over the house off for sure and that was what I thought I would want to work on this tree. I have to work with a budget, their budget. hence the title of the post. I did go and do a little more cause I was there but the one limb is kinda like a statement, its when the meter ran out. The HO told me his budget and we went with that. Minus a few butt logs what you see behind the chipper.
No spikes on The Dan, its a thing of elegant beauty none can deny. I did see wounds that looked like previous spike marks made by my ancestors. I once saw a guy about to spike a tree like that, I fainted. i learned to climb before I got used to spikes. I actually move slower in the tree with them. Every step the gaff has to be in a certain spot to work right but with your feet you can just tip-toe through the tulips... or in this case surf through an oak tree. Climbing around crotches that big is reminecsant of caving, its really cool.

Nice, I actually started climbing with spurs when I was 17, worked for 2 years spurring almost everything we did. Then I went to school and learned how to climb properly, and learned how harmful spurs can be. Also, I know what it's like deasling with cheap people who don't value your time or services. I'm glad you left those limbs!!

I had a lady tell me last year that she only had $1500 to take down this huge hollow, hazardous silver maple. The bottom 10' was filled with concrete. so I told her I would remove it for her price but all the wood stays and I left it 15' high. It looked terrible but that was her budget!!

I try to do the right thing all the time but sometimes a cheap custmoer can be the straw to break this camel's back!!

Back