Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep it coming guys.

I find this fascinating, mind boggling, and a little saddening all at the same time.

There is a place near me called the Lost Forty that has virgin old growth Red and White Pine. An awesome place to visit here considering there is virtually no old growth left in MN.

I cant imagine walking among the Redwoods that dwarf these huge (to me) pines. :msp_smile:
I couldn't agree more.

Not a redwood, but in redwood country, and the doug fir really impressed me. Got calle'd on for a job in camp meeker. A sudden oak death tan oak removal. All on a hill side parmeter, and me. Bull rope'd, and rigge'd a few section's and pieced it out. The last part was to cut out a ten or fifteen foot section of the fir, for the guy's walking trail. It was blowdown, came down in a strom fell up the hill luckily for him, and his house. Went way up the hill into his neighboor's, big tree. I misplaced all the other pic's unfortunately but this one. It was just under six feet through. We had the 66's on the job mine had a 36in bar. This thing really had some bind in it. We were trying to figure out how to get the first round we cut, to roll out. Could not get a truck up there or equipment. We use'd a chain hoist chains and a choker. Got the first round out, and it was cut 18-24in wide I forget. But with the tree settling, and the bind gone the gap on the top completly closed. It took some doing but we got it.

Found another thread on days gone by in redwoods. THE REAL ART MARTIN STEP FORWARD thread, a very interesting read for a common aussie like myself.
I have seen and worked in some of our bigger old growth timber and feel like a newcommer to regrowth logging compared to those logs in that thread.

Nice Neil, I will have to check it out. I need to get back out to the redwood's for mental well being, and fresh picture's.

Been awhile, but I finally got some pics I have been wanting to take, a real decent redwood, top blew out but has some girth. Of bodega highway near Tilton. Definately worth stopping.

Been awhile, but I finally got some pics I have been wanting to take, a real decent redwood, top blew out but has some girth. Of bodega highway near Tilton. Definately worth stopping.

Like this shot, with the wavy pattern on the bark.

Getting close to getting back down there. Been meaning to visit each month since January, but something kept me back. Lately, the new kitchen remodel.

219529d1327460183-100_0998-jpg

Nice my friend I like the wavy grain too. Good to see you, and yeah I hear you stuff to do! I like taking my camera and hunting for outlaws!

Its been nearly a year since i was out here last trip, been among the redwoods for a couple of days now and I feel rejuvinated and relieved. Got some more picts for my albums and hope to get some more before its time to head home. truly is Gods country.

Sweet Jerry! Good to see you, and love to see the pics! God's country Yep mystical, and magical!

It gets real mystical on a day like today with a bit of rain dripping through the tree tops, the ground sends up steam like conditions and it was wafting through the trees making things seem like they were moving, even though they were really standing still. Not good for taking picts but just good to see with the eyes.

rotten old thing, when they split like that we called it a bucker's break.

Man i used to hate that happening, all the work for a reject. Did you guys get paid a reject rate from forestry to compensate for an odd dud.
I like how you guys put the belly in and thats how my old boss taught me in big trees. He used to say get it in 50 % or as near as possable and take the time to get it right and it will save bashing steel wedges in the back to get it over.

Great stuff Jerry, been under them trees in those conditions many times. Never gets old! Cliff nice vid man, thanks for sharing I liked it. Randy never heard the term Buckers break cool stuff. Neil probably nobody would get that lucky to get compensated, but I am sure Randy knows, and I am curious too. I know trees get selected for you to fall, but fallers are also supposed to look for defects so I am curious on that too, and good point.

Great stuff Jerry, been under them trees in those conditions many times. Never gets old! Cliff nice vid man, thanks for sharing I liked it. Randy never heard the term Buckers break cool stuff. Neil probably nobody would get that lucky to get compensated, but I am sure Randy knows, and I am curious too. I know trees get selected for you to fall, but fallers are also supposed to look for defects so I am curious on that too, and good point.

It depends on how you're getting paid....woods scale or mill scale. Either way it seldom comes out to the faller's advantage. If you were busheling and had one splatter like that you probably wouldn't make much money on it in any case. If you're day waging it wouldn't matter as long as it came undone because of an internal defect. If the faller busts up too many because of his own mistakes he'll either get a wage reduction or a trip to town.

It depends on how you're getting paid....woods scale or mill scale. Either way it seldom comes out to the faller's advantage. If you were busheling and had one splatter like that you probably wouldn't make much money on it in any case. If you're day waging it wouldn't matter as long as it came undone because of an internal defect. If the faller busts up too many because of his own mistakes he'll either get a wage reduction or a trip to town.

I hear you on the trip to town, and its the same in oz for bad or careless directional falling, the machine operators also get the s#its quick also if trees constantly get felled in bad places makeing snigging harder.

I used to get a reject rate from forestry if we got rejects, it only ever come to petrol money but it did add up over a month. We had a forestry reject book we filled out by measureing across the stump,recording and then handing the page in each month. Forestry or state forests as they are called these days only paid out on logs the forestry wanted us to try like big tubs.
now days i'm not sure if they still pay rejects as we no longer fall old growth and harvesters have all but replaced the pro log faller.

My time log cutting for a liveing was always paid contract and never wages, so the more i fell the more i made and thats how most of our crews worked and its not a bad system and weeds out the bad operators and fallers leaveing better crews who can make a decent liveing from timber.

Its been nearly a year since i was out here last trip, been among the redwoods for a couple of days now and I feel rejuvinated and relieved. Got some more picts for my albums and hope to get some more before its time to head home. truly is Gods country.

It's hard to believe it's been 6 months since my last visit. Stuff kept coming up. A property sale, the holidays, kitchen remodel, etc..

But going to meet a guy who is coming from Germany, at the north redwoods, toward the 4th week of April. Stoked to soak in the peace and quiet of those forests.

Redwood_Sr_Is_LBox.jpg

Back