Handling Damaged Batteries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"other reactions would be much more likely to occur"

Name some.

"They are more likely to form and much more of a threat to health then any hydrogen from immersion in water."

Explain.

I did chemistry research for years making new compounds by new reactions, and proving their structures. Part of the work was identifying and quantifying side products.
Already named off the most common compounds emitted. Lithium + water + cobalt, iron, manganese, carbon etc = host of other compounds. Not limited to hydrogen and certainly more of a health risk then an explosion from hydrogen. Go look it up. It's readily available information.

Already named off the most common compounds emitted. Lithium + water + cobalt, iron, manganese, carbon etc = host of other compounds. Not limited to hydrogen and certainly more of a health risk then an explosion from hydrogen. Go look it up. It's readily available information.

Will those kill you more quickly than an explosion?

Will those kill you more quickly than an explosion?
A tiny bit of hydrofluoric acid will kill you. 10x as much hydrogen will make a birthday candle. We're not comparing eye irritation to taking the roof off your house.

It's largely a moot point anyway. Most people keep at least one lithium ion battery on their person and almost none of them have issues. Plenty of folks keep multiples.

A tiny bit of hydrofluoric acid will kill you. 10x as much hydrogen will make a birthday candle. We're not comparing eye irritation to taking the roof off your house.

It's largely a moot point anyway. Most people keep at least one lithium ion battery on their person and almost none of them have issues. Plenty of folks keep multiples.

HF is a weak acid, work with a solution (fairly concentrated) of it's salts at low pH and the HF gas can be given off. HCl and HBr are similar but less volatile and more dense, worked with all those. Used to generate the dry gases from the salt solutions by adding the stronger acid sulfuric/H2SO4 in special apparatus. Pure bromine Br2 is liquid at room temperature, that evaporates off as a red gas. That will hurt you too.

I used to work with all kinds of other nice stuff, like phosgene. If you breath enough to smell it you will be dead soon. We got it in gas cylinders and collected it in volumetric cylinders immersed in a dry ice bath ( -78 oC), the bath made in a Dewar flask. It boils at 5.5 oC.

It could only be worked with as a liquid, in a well working fume hood, with the sash kept low. When finished, everything had to be quenched before it came out of the hood, even your gloves. We hung tissue paper on the bottom of the fume hood sash to be sure the hood was pulling good vacuum. We didn't trust the electronic hood monitors with our lives.

Now hydrogen I did low and high pressure reactions. The high pressure ones were conducted in a lab called "the bomb room". It was a huge reinforced concrete bunker with blow off doors on the ceiling. Once you set things up everything was controlled remotely, in another room with a 6" window of plexiglass. Used things called Parr reactors that held 3000-4000 psi of pressure and we heated things to 200 oC.

So you guys know more about toxins, chemistry, and hydrogen? Tell me more......

No, just lithium batteries. Which you, apparently know very little about outside of a lab setting.

I could make a lithium battery, You?

Stuff you learned on the internet, not in a university?

P.S. They tell real women not put tampons in the water/toilet too. Just poking fun at you. Usually enjoy your posts.

I could make a lithium battery, You?

Stuff you learned on the internet, not in a university?

P.S. They tell real women not put tampons in the water/toilet too. Just poking fun at you. Usually enjoy your posts.
I probably could, given I had the time and money to buy the supplies and equipment. I did look Into it a while back, and found this place
https://www.mtixtl.com/index.aspx
Bit out of my price range.

I probably could, given I had the time and money to buy the supplies and equipment. I did look Into it a while back, and found this place
https://www.mtixtl.com/index.aspx
Bit out of my price range.

If it worked great we'd all be driving EVs , now......what? new battery costs more than a new car?........

I'm happy running a 1940 9N Ford with a 6V+ ground electrics. Simple and functional.

I can fix that one.

Last I checked, gas cars actually catch fire more often than EVs. If you're OK with a gas car being parked in your garage, an EV shouldn't bother you either.
BUT world has how many (Millions gas vehicles-to-one Lithium EV) and World has undergone 150-years of gasoline fire safety improvements; NOT so much for Lithium...= FACT.

"other reactions would be much more likely to occur"

Name some.

"They are more likely to form and much more of a threat to health then any hydrogen from immersion in water."

Explain.

I did chemistry research for years making new compounds by new reactions, and proving their structures. Part of the work was identifying and quantifying side products.
Lithium is a component in an effective major mental health Rx; I have often wondered/ feared the unknown potential with Lithium batteries/ waste/ contamination... and maybe 100+ Years before science looks back and then GOV releases those findings?

Per 100k of each, less EVs catch fire.

Imagine how much better they'll be in another 150 years.
We are in the tools section here. I have read about parking garage fire in Uk and auto transport ship in the Atlantic. the counterfeit battery issue to me could be problematic, unlikely in the auto sector. Counterfeit chargers, that probably could be problem?

Discussing the insurance for ev and increase in home insurance way more than rate of inflation could be a thread elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back