Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some seriously cool parts! Looks like a 900 series direct drive case along with a handle bar support bracket, 944/955 carb chamber, the special C-9x sprocket cover with the extended exhaust covering (just a little different than the XP type), in short, JACKPOT! :rock:

Dan

I'm in a state of shock Mitch.....

Stared at those pics for a few minutes. Didn't remember to breath a few times!:jester:

Also, has anyone adapted a XL-400 P&C to a SXLA? Skirts need to be cut for sure but pin height looks good. Stroke the same?

The XL400 has a 1.6mm longer stroke than an XL12 series saw. Those XL400's have a reputation for beating themselves to death. I've never seen a runner in person. I may have access to a nice XL400 with a smoked P/C...........

Model Profile: XL-12
Model Profile: SUPER XL AUTO
Model Profile: XL-400 AUTOMATIC

So far the biggest cylinder is the xl-400 but there are some big pistons and rings. NOS 5-30, 7-29, 700D and others. More carb kits than I can count (public school) and drums for every size Homie had.

I left behind all the saws.....two rooms full....as I said there was a saw ordered so I'm going back:hmm3grin2orange:

So far the biggest cylinder is the xl-400 but there are some big pistons and rings. NOS 5-30, 7-29, 700D and others. More carb kits than I can count (public school) and drums for every size Homie had.

I left behind all the saws.....two rooms full....as I said there was a saw ordered so I'm going back:hmm3grin2orange:

Two ROOMS full of old saws? Sounds like there's a Red Saw counterpart to the Yellow Saw black hole in Dike, Iowa...:D

Two ROOMS full of old saws? Sounds like there's a Red Saw counterpart to the Yellow Saw black hole in Dike, Iowa...:D

O there are yeller ones as well:help: The authorities have been notified!

This dealer was into Shinny for years. Piles of 577's among others. Not so excited about the 500P as to my return trip:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the specs Aaron and updated sig

Last edited:
Yes brand new and that's the way it will stay!

Put a recoil on the one side plus air-filter cover and back fill the other side with concrete and then you have a qualified door stop with a lifting handle:clap:

Tore down the XL-800 that arrived this morning. The good news is the cylinder looks near mint and the piston is so-so with a stuck top ring. Second ring is fine.

Bad news is, mositure got to the main bearings and he will need them replaced for certain.

Ball bearing Homelite #58190-S
Roller bearing Homelite #63195
Piston rings Homelite #55537

mweba please check your pile.

Few things Carl.

Thing-1)Did you try running it with the fuel cap off to see if your cap has a venting issue?

Duh! :redface:

Took a close look at the fuel cap. No visible vent of any kind. Will drill a 1/16" hole in him and try it out after 7:00 am. 4:30 is a tad early in my neighborhood.

Project saws never have the correct spark plug so why do I expect it to have a vented gas cap.

Hey all,
I am looking for an XL12 clutch/chain cover (5/16" bar studs), and the short, cast bracket that holds the upper portion of the handle to the saw. I thought i could use a bracket from an SXL, but the angle is different.
PM me
Jim

Just remembered I also need one of the long muffler bolts for a late model Homelite SXL

Jim!
How goes it?

Hi Randy! Things are good around here, but busy as always!
I meet up with Woodchucker last weekend and got a couple of Homies he rescued from the dump. Now I'm trying to get them all together.
Woodchucker also brought me my 359/357 back from being ported and having various machine work done to the P/C by Motomedic. It's a very strong saw!
So, you got any of those parts?
Jim

Tore down the XL-800 that arrived this morning. The good news is the cylinder looks near mint and the piston is so-so with a stuck top ring. Second ring is fine.

Bad news is, mositure got to the main bearings and he will need them replaced for certain.

Ball bearing Homelite #58190-S
Roller bearing Homelite #63195
Piston rings Homelite #55537

mweba please check your pile.

Disassembled the rest of the way and found more carnage.
View attachment 202888
attachment.php

View attachment 202889
attachment.php

View attachment 202890
attachment.php

View attachment 202891
attachment.php

View attachment 202887
attachment.php

So now we need a crank, rod w/bearings, flywheel and seals.

It is not in running condition at this time, although it did run a little last winter. It will need tunning.

Thank you, gina75terry77 ......................................What nice people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back