Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think? Has comp and leaks oil like a mug, but otherwise seems to be complete minus a few minor details like a choke lever knob, spark plug terminal nut, and a coupla handle screws. Gonna need some help sortin' it all out when I get around to goin' through it, but couldn't resist it bein' only a half an hour from me on CL.

Open to all comments and suggestions. Probably post a thread on the main forum too, but figure this thread is where it should really be for starters since it's where I'll also be lookin' for all ya'll's wise ol' sage advice on the beast.

A few more pics to follow these when I sort em out...

attachment.php

attachment.php

About the leaking oil...I don't know if I have a saw that doesn't leak bar oil. I'm thinking about putting 70w dragster oil in 'em.

More 1050-A Pics

A few more pics. As for the oil leak, it was dry as a bone sitting on the garage floor at the seller's place until I pumped the manual oiler a coupla times before trying to drag the chain along the bar. Manual oiler works quite well.:msp_biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Single owner all original SXL from 1968!

Just got me this beauty! Doesn't appear to have manual oil pump? Was that common?

I like the looks of these especially that color scheme.

Just got me this beauty! Doesn't appear to have manual oil pump? Was that common?

I like the looks of these especially that color scheme.

Early Super XL Automatic. Fairly common. I have a blue one, and tuned up a red one for a guy. The manual oiler pump section of the handle casting has a long threaded plug in place of the plunger assy. The IPL states that the dealer could install the M.O. parts in place of the plug. I will do that when I rehab my saw.

Last edited:

That saw has some real potential. Be careful moving it around until you get some more screws in the lower handle bracket. I would hate to see that muffler guard break. These saw usually do not leak oil. I have a 1050 and a bunch of 2100's, and none of them ever leaked. Pull the clutch and you will probably find the problem.

That saw has some real potential. Be careful moving it around until you get some more screws in the lower handle bracket.

Thanks. Had the same thoughts about the handle/muffler cover situation.

What is the correct thread/length for that hardware? Looks like the two that are there may also be questionable...

Nice saw.:msp_smile:

I have screws for your handle and I think I have a choke button and rod.
I will have to look tomorrow.
It looks like your oil pump lever is pushed part way in. Is it sticking?
Might be why it leaked out oil after you pushed on it.

Screws and choke if you want them.

attachment.php

Very cool. 'Preciate it and PM on the way.

Good eye on the oiler, but it was back out all the way -- or seems like it. The spring action also seems real strong on it. Doesn't mean there's not an obstruction somewhere still hanging it up a tad. I just haven't had time to get into it yet, but trust me, I'm itchin'!

I was all excited to post this until I saw above, very nice score there. Any way here it is, good thing I only paid $8 for it.

Photo0483.jpg

Photo0484.jpg

Latest posts

Back