Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DAN, you are the MAN!!

It is a Wilton Powrarm. Made in Park Illinois, model #301. Color is hard to see, its green like the Homelite color of the 900/909/990/995 series and looks like it will clean up easy. Heavy cast iron, probably about 12lbs. Some bolts on the bottom hold it together and should be easy to take apart. It would have been already, but I'm sitting in a hotel with no tools.

100MEDIA_IMAG1371.jpg

Here is a Powrarm of today, hasn't changed much, but the price is to die for!!:msp_scared:
Wilton #301 Powrarm Vise **NEW** | eBay

Going to make a good saw stand!!

Last edited:
Any idea why someone cut a hole in the side of this saw? It had a metal plate inside screwed to the clutch, forcing the clutch the be engaged AT ALL TIMES.

Other than the bent handle, seems to be in good shape. 160+psi and good spark.

100_1235.jpg

100_1234.jpg

100_1236.jpg

I just picked it up today. IIRC this is just shy of 80cc's. Any opinions on this saw? Anyone need parts? Or have an extra clutch cover?

That plate holds the clutch shoes in there nice and snug. The screws back out a little and cut the hole, see it all the time. 82cc's of Homelite muscle!!! Parts are easy and they run and cut good!!! No self respecting Homelite nut is without one.... or at lease run one!!

They fetch $150'ish all day long, whad ya give?

That plate holds the clutch shoes in there nice and snug. The screws back out a little and cut the hole, see it all the time. 82cc's of Homelite muscle!!! Parts are easy and they run and cut good!!! No self respecting Homelite nut is without one.... or at lease run one!!

They fetch $150'ish all day long, whad ya give?

You may hate me for this...but I told him since it had the hole in the side I wouldn't give more than $10 for it. He threw in the bar and chain for it. :msp_rolleyes:

So the metal plate is supposed to be there? I'm guessing the clutch was just stuck? It loosened up a little when I worked it and checked the comp. Does that mean it needs a new clutch or maybe springs?

When a clutch is stuck and not broken, first thing I always try is PB Blaster. The bearing often gets gummed up, and the PB Blaster loosens it right up. I think PB Blaster is far superior to WD40, but that is another argument for another time... lol.

DAN, you are the MAN!!

It is a Wilton Powrarm. Made in Park Illinois, model #301. Color is hard to see, its green like the Homelite color of the 900/909/990/995 series and looks like it will clean up easy. Heavy cast iron, probably about 12lbs. Some bolts on the bottom hold it together and should be easy to take apart. It would have been already, but I'm sitting in a hotel with no tools.

They are easy to take apart. Somewhere I read its recommend to use graphite for lube. Here's a page out of some Homelite shop notes. I thought for sure I'd seen another page where it listed it along with other Homelite accessories, but I can't find that one right now.

attachment.php

Dan

You may hate me for this...but I told him since it had the hole in the side I wouldn't give more than $10 for it. He threw in the bar and chain for it. :msp_rolleyes:

So the metal plate is supposed to be there? I'm guessing the clutch was just stuck? It loosened up a little when I worked it and checked the comp. Does that mean it needs a new clutch or maybe springs?

You suck! And, you are cheap to boot!:bowdown:

Coil Gap?

Anyone know what the coil gap should be on a little Homelite Timberman 45? Strange ingition problem, the coil will shock me when I hold both conections, it will shock me when I hold a small srewdriver in the plug wire, but it will not make spark on the plug. I know the plug is good because I tested with another saw. I cleaned the magneto and and coil and set the gap at .o11. This little saw has been sitting a few years and I am just trying to make the thing run. It isnt worth spend much money on, I think get the thing new for $100.

Thank you in advance for your help.

When a clutch is stuck and not broken, first thing I always try is PB Blaster. The bearing often gets gummed up, and the PB Blaster loosens it right up. I think PB Blaster is far superior to WD40, but that is another argument for another time... lol.

+1 on the PB. Thanks for the tip.

You suck! And, you are cheap to boot!:bowdown:

Thanks!

Wanna quadruple your money Marc???:jester:

I've seen MANY XL800/900 series Homelites with that 'escape hatch' hole cut into the clutch cover by those two screws.

photobucket-31576-1339312684579.jpg

Here's my SXL-925W (on the left) without escape hatch. The E-Z/Super E-Z saws (such as the one on the right) also do the escape hatch thing if they have the 'right' style of clutch. Happens with the SXL saws when the clutch nut backs out as well...

Last edited:
Anyone know what the coil gap should be on a little Homelite Timberman 45? Strange ingition problem, the coil will shock me when I hold both conections, it will shock me when I hold a small srewdriver in the plug wire, but it will not make spark on the plug. I know the plug is good because I tested with another saw. I cleaned the magneto and and coil and set the gap at .o11. This little saw has been sitting a few years and I am just trying to make the thing run. It isnt worth spend much money on, I think get the thing new for $100.

Thank you in advance for your help.

IIRC, there is a ground wire under a mounting screw for coil/pole piece that has to connect to the engine. Plastic case is a poor ground.

I have a Homelite Ranger on its' third coil..................................................:msp_thumbdn:

September 25, 1945!

Holy cow. I wasn't quite a year old...........................................................................

I like it that back then you could get a spark plug gasket seperate. Try doing that today.

Last edited:
C5 rebuild

getting close to finally getting my C5 assembled. now i'm looking for the spark plug - Champion J6J. don't believe they make them any longer. have been told that the replacement is J6C. anyone know anything about this?

Latest posts

Back