Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 trees down in my front yard and decided what a nice time to test some saws! I have several to test, all ran well and had sharpened or new chains. You Homelite guys will not believe which saw came in first today....Homelite 150! I had it matched up against bigger saws and it still cut much more wood in the amount of time. It must have been tuned and sharpened just right because there was no comparison. The other saws I tried in the short amount of time I had today were a Craftsman/Poulan 3000 and an Echo 550EVL. Both these saws were heavier and seemed to have duller chains and were miserable to use. I'll do a little work on these two later and try something else tomorrow. I cleaned the 150 and put it back on the shelf. To say I was surprised with the 150 would be an understatement!

Yea now you know why I say that I love my 150s. They don't look like much, but they sure got some power to em. I had one in the shop the other day and one of my friends said that it looked like it was under a 25cc. I said no way man that thing is a 40 or 45cc (something along those lines). He did not believe me. But anyways those make great limbing and small bucking saws. I have 3 right now that run great. One of them won't stay in tension and continues to oil after its off, but the other two are fine.

A friend has just picked up an XL923 for me as it was just around the corner from him and a 100 miles from me. It apparently starts and runs but stalls when the choke is closed. Sounds like an adjustment or a carb kit. I'm thinking that it was $35.00 well spent. :rock:

My sister bought me a Super Mini for my birthday (spreading CAD through out the family) and it is a sweetheart. Very little use and a brand new Stihl chain! The chain alone is worth more than she paid for the saw. All it needs is a good carb cleaning, runs and cuts well.:clap:

Oh, I can't remember how to change my list of saws. It must be somewhere in my profile but for the life of me can't find it again.:msp_unsure:

Thanks,

Lee

Two photos added of my latest saw The XL-923. I think the only items missing are a small screw in the rear handle and the idle adj screw. Just rebuilding the Tillotson HS. I did have it running but I don't know how with all the crap in the carb. Came with a nearly new Stihl 3/8 chisel, and a full wrap top handle all for $35.00!! :rock::rock::hmm3grin2orange:

Two photos added of my latest saw The XL-923. I think the only items missing are a small screw in the rear handle and the idle adj screw. Just rebuilding the Tillotson HS. I did have it running but I don't know how with all the crap in the carb. Came with a nearly new Stihl 3/8 chisel, and a full wrap top handle all for $35.00!! :rock::rock::hmm3grin2orange:

Nice. esp for 35

252423d1347322654-imgp0105-jpg

252424d1347322765-imgp0106-jpg

You get a 'You SUCK!' award.

I picked this up today, Homelite Super Wiz of some sort, couldn't read the tag all that well, will try in the sun light. Guy said it cuts like a beast, I wonder if that is so with that hard nose 40 inch bar and 1/2 inch chain. I probably paid to much for it but at least I feel like I got what I paid for.

Photo0574.jpg

Shined a light on the tag and looks like a 66, which means the 40 inch bar and chain will be coming off.

Last edited:
I picked this up today, Homelite Super Wiz of some sort, couldn't read the tag all that well, will try in the sun light. Guy said it cuts like a beast, I wonder if that is so with that hard nose 40 inch bar and 1/2 inch chain. I probably paid to much for it but at least I feel like I got what I paid for.

Photo0574.jpg

Shined a light on the tag and looks like a 66, which means the 40 inch bar and chain will be coming off.

Those longer bars on those saws are good for a display, which most of those older saws are used for.

you suck x 2

I found these today, a bunch of homies in the mix, the 360 pro runs but needs a chain sharpening and the Super EZ looks barely used and needed a new blue coil which I had and now it is a runner, I will also have to dig around for my extra dawg so it will be a official west coast saw. the gear drive is a 17 and is free but I will be using odds and ends for the Wiz, mostly nuts and bolts and full wrap.

Photo0575.jpg

Photo0577.jpg

I found these today, a bunch of homies in the mix, the 360 pro runs but needs a chain sharpening and the Super EZ looks barely used and needed a new blue coil which I had and now it is a runner, I will also have to dig around for my extra dawg so it will be a official west coast saw. the gear drive is a 17 and is free but I will be using odds and ends for the Wiz, mostly nuts and bolts and full wrap.

Photo0575.jpg

Photo0577.jpg

Nice haul.... I am diggin the Super EZ west coast. One of my favorite saws.

The SW 80 lives

So, I've put a carb kit in the Super Wiz 80, plus a new fuel line from the tank to the carb. A little pulling, and it fired right up. Just a little smokey, but it got the bottom of the fuel tank, so it likely has a little more oil than it should. Not enough to be concerned about yet...

A couple questions:
  • Is there a compatible air filter for these? While it is passable, there is a noticable difference running the saw with it on, or removing it, and it gets sucked in to place by the vacuum. It just strikes me it should be breathing a little easier than it is.
  • I didn't have the bar and chain on, but the sproket kept spinning merrily along at idle. I pressed a piece of wood against it to see if it would stop from a little friction as a chain would provide, and it kept going. So today, I pulled the side off the gearbox thinking the clutch was stuck, and it spins freely (or as freely as a gear train can spin). No feeling of resistance at all, so any idea where the driving force is? I suppose I need to pull the clutch cover off, but there was no noise coming from inside it to indicate any dragging, or broken spring.
  • Last, how exactly is a clutch supposed to function in an oil bath situation? This makes no sense to me, but clearly it works since there are a heck of a lot of these saws... I just don't understand it.

In general, it sounds decent. I wanted to get the clutch, bar, and chain sorted out before I spend any time trying to tweak it. On a side note, the bar has an issue... When they made it way back when, apparently they didn't groove it deep enough on one side to connect to the oil hole. I thought it was just some ancient crud packed in there, but, no, its metal... So amongst other things, I guess I'll have to get in there with a dremel and try to get that passage open...

Always an adventure...

-Tim

Nice haul.... I am diggin the Super EZ west coast. One of my favorite saws.

The little Super EZ is a monster, a very angry monster, that is why it has the full wrap on it so you can hang on. I enjoy these saws every time I pick one up, I still have the first SEZ I ever bought, it was also the saw that started my CAD. I have used these saws to fell timber with a 20 inch bar and 3/8 but I will admit it was not ideal, they really seem to be right at home with a 16 inch sprocket nose and full comp 3/8 and will give any saw in this cc and bar range a run for its money. I now have a decent pile of them with 2 good runners, 1 that needs some carb lovin, and 2 that need to be gone through.

So, I've put a carb kit in the Super Wiz 80, plus a new fuel line from the tank to the carb. A little pulling, and it fired right up. Just a little smokey, but it got the bottom of the fuel tank, so it likely has a little more oil than it should. Not enough to be concerned about yet...

A couple questions:
  • Is there a compatible air filter for these? While it is passable, there is a noticable difference running the saw with it on, or removing it, and it gets sucked in to place by the vacuum. It just strikes me it should be breathing a little easier than it is.
  • I didn't have the bar and chain on, but the sproket kept spinning merrily along at idle. I pressed a piece of wood against it to see if it would stop from a little friction as a chain would provide, and it kept going. So today, I pulled the side off the gearbox thinking the clutch was stuck, and it spins freely (or as freely as a gear train can spin). No feeling of resistance at all, so any idea where the driving force is? I suppose I need to pull the clutch cover off, but there was no noise coming from inside it to indicate any dragging, or broken spring.
  • Last, how exactly is a clutch supposed to function in an oil bath situation? This makes no sense to me, but clearly it works since there are a heck of a lot of these saws... I just don't understand it.

In general, it sounds decent. I wanted to get the clutch, bar, and chain sorted out before I spend any time trying to tweak it. On a side note, the bar has an issue... When they made it way back when, apparently they didn't groove it deep enough on one side to connect to the oil hole. I thought it was just some ancient crud packed in there, but, no, its metal... So amongst other things, I guess I'll have to get in there with a dremel and try to get that passage open...

Always an adventure...

-Tim

the RULE. pix or it didn't happen. clutch sounds like a broken or weak spring.

safety chain

I used to think those safety chains wouldn't cut very well but I found out different yesterday. I was gonna change the safety chain on my Homelite 150 for an aggressive one but thought I'd give the safety one a try first. That safety chain, I don't know the brand, really threw the chips! It wasn't a brand new chain and I think I know who sharpened it, certainly not me. So I guess I won't judge any of these chains until I actually try them out...

the RULE. pix or it didn't happen. clutch sounds like a broken or weak spring.

Fair enough...
I hadn't noticed the additional small holes on the bar, so I suppose the Homelites might oil through there, I'll have to see which hole it targets when I get home...

At any rate, this is the side that seems right:
2012-09-13_08-31-48_920Small.jpg

This is the other side. You can just see a pin hole of light in there. I've already cleaned this up to look like the other side. It wasn't much more than a paper thin piece. It just took scoring it lightly with a scribe a few times, and that cut it away.
2012-09-13_08-31-27_67Small.jpg

I'll have to pull the clutch cover off later to check on the spring amongst other things. I know I don't want that chain spinning along at idle even if I am likely to never really use this saw...

Back