Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough...
I hadn't noticed the additional small holes on the bar, so I suppose the Homelites might oil through there, I'll have to see which hole it targets when I get home...

At any rate, this is the side that seems right:
2012-09-13_08-31-48_920Small.jpg

This is the other side. You can just see a pin hole of light in there. I've already cleaned this up to look like the other side. It wasn't much more than a paper thin piece. It just took scoring it lightly with a scribe a few times, and that cut it away.
2012-09-13_08-31-27_67Small.jpg

I'll have to pull the clutch cover off later to check on the spring amongst other things. I know I don't want that chain spinning along at idle even if I am likely to never really use this saw...

The small hole is for the oiler. There is a hole on the bottom as well, but it is clogged with sawdust.

Well then... Came home, and pulled off the clutch cover on the SW80... The spring looks just peachy, so that isn't the issue. While I had the cover off the plug (to get the gear box open) I changed the plug. The old one is a train wreck so it has to be happier now. Refilled the gearbox with 20w-50 as that's what I had handy (someone tell me if I should change that) and put the bar and chain on. The chain looked pretty beat, but what the hell, I started it, and put it in some wood. Or more realistically, I tried... It went through the bark, and then just polished the wood...

So, back in the garage... Having now cleaned the chain via wood, I could see someone had filed most of the teeth from above with a flat file, so they were all pointing toward the bar... Clearly that isn't going to do, so I went after the teeth with a 7/32 which looked about right... Then I checked the depth gauges... Again, they were all over the place, and some were above the tooth edge... The only gauge I have is an .025 for my Poulan, and I dropped them down to that. I imagine that chain could take a bigger bite, but I haven't gotten anything deeper yet though I need to get an .040 for my Mac...

Back outside... Yep, now she digs in... Nice big chips, and no hesitation... As the chain is a disaster, its cutting curves which sucks, but, it cut that curve nicely... I'd need to get it ground to get back to a 0 point, but there really isn't enough tooth left to take that... I'll have to hope there is at least another chain out at the folks place... I'd say I still need to play with the carb a bit as it doesn't exactly jump to WOT, and I can't take idle down any lower without it stalling, though the chain creeps just a little so not terrible as a start point... If we don't have a spare chain, I guess I'll start talking to my water jet guy to see what he'd hit me for to cut out a .404 sprocket from something that is either pre-hard, or hardenable...

Who was the lucky member in Redding CA?....:msp_unsure:

2 days ago ... One (1) 36" Homelite 750

Shhhhh. Somebody somewhat local was working on that one. I haven't got a sitrep from him recently. Hopefully he will have good news. Hopefully this won't encourage the long distance crowd to flash a big roll to torpedo that deal....

Drive Sprocket

Is there a reference out there someplace that indicates what the OD of the various drive sprockets are in relation to the chain pitch? While I ponder making a .404 drive sprocket for the SW80, it would be nice to know what the equivalent tooth count would be between what I have in 1/2", and what I'd be making/looking for in .404. I think mine is a 8 pin now, so would that go to a 9, or 10 pin .404 to maintain the same chain speed within reason?

-Tim

Newb here, is this four cuber worth a carb kit? Or should I toss it and go by a modern saw that would last me longer?

esedu5a3.jpg

ba9eguje.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:
Newb here, is this four cuber worth a carb kit? Or should I toss it and go by a modern saw that would last me longer?

esedu5a3.jpg

ba9eguje.jpg

If I owned that saw I would definitely clean the carb and put a kit in it. However, that's not the kind of saw you take to the woods, more a GTG saw and conversation piece, display saw. I have several saws in that category and although I like to hear them run they just won't keep up with a modern 13,500 rpm saw. I still enjoy starting them up and cutting an occasional log in two.

Put a kit in there, and it will likely outlast you... You'll certainly get tired before it does.
But as stated, it isn't what you want to use to cut firewood.

esedu5a3.jpg

ba9eguje.jpg

AAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM, If you want to toss it,
Well toss it my way. Just give me a heads up so
i can catch it.
Seriously, Put a kit in it. Well worth it. But as
stated already, it's not a saw to carry into the
woods and use every day.

Lee

esedu5a3.jpg

ba9eguje.jpg

Nice Wiz! That's in really nice shape! Saw one in similar condition go for $250 at an auction recently! I'd put a kit in it for sure... but certainly wouldn't want to cut any fire wood with it.

got to take my C5 out cutting sunday. trees were about 15-18" dbh. too small to really test the saw but i figured what the hay? it needs some wood so it can get broke in. some observations.
- that thing has an attitude
- LOUD, i said LOUD
- torquey
- slow but moves big chips
- heavy
- love it,
first saw i rebuilt from ground up. in my mind i always knew, from rebuilding auto and MC engines, that so long as everything goes back together right and tolerances are adhered to it should run good. still, there was always that nagging doubt. but voila! it runs well. still trying to decide if i should put stickers on it though. i'm thinking that anyone who knows about saws would know its a C5, i know its a C5, what's the point? just saying

got to take my C5 out cutting sunday. trees were about 15-18" dbh. too small to really test the saw but i figured what the hay? it needs some wood so it can get broke in. some observations.
- that thing has an attitude
- LOUD, i said LOUD
- torquey
- slow but moves big chips
- heavy
- love it,
first saw i rebuilt from ground up. in my mind i always knew, from rebuilding auto and MC engines, that so long as everything goes back together right and tolerances are adhered to it should run good. still, there was always that nagging doubt. but voila! it runs well. still trying to decide if i should put stickers on it though. i'm thinking that anyone who knows about saws would know its a C5, i know its a C5, what's the point? just saying

It all depends on how far you want to go. I think the stickers really add to the restoration. Good to hear you had success.

I dragged this bad boy SXL-925 out yesterday. I've been sitting on it for a few years knowing it needed rings and a little TLC. Got the rings in yesterday, did some cleaning around the hard-to-reach areas (behind the fuel tank) and got her humming pretty good. Puts out around 180 psi with the new rings.

Needs a better muffler to go with the full wrap and the clutch has a bad shoe--if it's even the right clutch.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've been digging around and I can't find where anyone (or business) has identified the different drum diameters for the 6 and 3 shoe 925 clutches. My 925, with the mystery clutch, has a drum measuring 3.1" ID. Does anybody know if it belongs to the 3 or 6 shoe clutch?

Thanks, Chris B.

I dragged this bad boy SXL-925 out yesterday. I've been sitting on it for a few years knowing it needed rings and a little TLC. Got the rings in yesterday, did some cleaning around the hard-to-reach areas (behind the fuel tank) and got her humming pretty good. Puts out around 180 psi with the new rings.

Needs a better muffler to go with the full wrap and the clutch has a bad shoe--if it's even the right clutch.

Chris B.

Nice SXL-925W Chris. I see yours has the tin handguard for use with the full-wrap. I need to buy one from Bryce for mine.

I've been digging around and I can't find where anyone (or business) has identified the different drum diameters for the 6 and 3 shoe 925 clutches. My 925, with the mystery clutch, has a drum measuring 3.1" ID. Does anybody know if it belongs to the 3 or 6 shoe clutch?

Thanks, Chris B.

I'll measure the drum on my 3-shoe clutch this weekend. The IPL specifies the 3-shoe clutch for the W versions (along with the muffler that you've got, the full wrap, and the tin handguard) BTW.

Back