Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to think of it, is kitty-corner on a round object a paradox or contradiction in terms? Either way, I think you get my drift.

Chris B.

Hell.....I thought it was caddy-corner. :laugh:

Drifting......

I need some help with a 700G. It got busted in the mail.

700G002_zps0c467a05.jpg

I need to find out what rear handles and recoils will interchange on this puppy.

TIA :cool2:

Drifting......

700G002_zps0c467a05.jpg

I need to find out what rear handles and recoils will interchange on this puppy.

no help here. i can just commiserate with you. OUCH! that had to hurt when you opened the box and saw that.

Drifting......

I've heard catty-corner used the same way.

700G002_zps0c467a05.jpg

Far as your saw, any of the Wiz type rear handles will work. 700, 707, 770, 775 as well. Has to be the gear drives though and you will need to swap over the serial tag. Direct handles are one-piece with the crankcase. The fan housing might be tougher, what's wrong with yours?

Edit: I see 707G and 770G fan housings on the Bay. Both will work, but will have an extra wrap handle mount. That is OK, you just have to get the clamp and bolts to fit.

Last edited:

Drifting......

700G002_zps0c467a05.jpg

If you are not in a hurry I have a wiz 55 that should interchange.It will be almost 3 weeks before I get to it, though. And I prefer gilflirted or caddywampus to caddy corner.And what you got there is gilflirted, way worser than caddywampussed!

I've heard catty-corner used the same way.

Far as your saw, any of the Wiz type rear handles will work. 700, 707, 770, 775 as well. Has to be the gear drives though and you will need to swap over the serial tag. Direct handles are one-piece with the crankcase. The fan housing might be tougher, what's wrong with yours?

Edit: I see 707G and 770G fan housings on the Bay. Both will work, but will have an extra wrap handle mount. That is OK, you just have to get the clamp and bolts to fit.

Thanks for the info Chris. The fan housing is good. I'm missing the recoil from it though.

If you are not in a hurry I have a wiz 55 that should interchange.It will be almost 3 weeks before I get to it, though. And I prefer gilflirted or caddywampus to caddy corner.And what you got there is gilflirted, way worser than caddywampussed!

Worser ain't no word. :D

Do the Super XL and the XL-12 both take the same sized crank seals? I need to replace the ones on my Super XL and I figured while I was at it I mite as well do the same on my XL-12. Would not hurt to clean the carbon out while I have them apart too. When I do the overhaul, do I need a new crank gasket...or can I just use RTV? thanks.

Drifting......

700G002_zps0c467a05.jpg

Randy, I just happen to have a 700G parts saw somewhere in the graveyard. I can add it to your tab, lol. I think I am road tripping to a GTG tomorrow, so I will get back to you either tomorrow night or Monday.

Randy, I just happen to have a 700G parts saw somewhere in the graveyard. I can add it to your tab, lol. I think I am road tripping to a GTG tomorrow, so I will get back to you either tomorrow night or Monday.

That's cool......I owe you pretty big already though. :msp_thumbup:

Do the Super XL and the XL-12 both take the same sized crank seals? I need to replace the ones on my Super XL and I figured while I was at it I mite as well do the same on my XL-12. Would not hurt to clean the carbon out while I have them apart too. When I do the overhaul, do I need a new crank gasket...or can I just use RTV? thanks.

Same seals. Replace the gasket. They're still around, and not too expensive. If the gasket survives the tear down and you feel you must reuse it, then put a thin coat of Threebond 1194 (AKA Hondabond/Kawasakibond/Yamabond/Suzukibond-4) or Permatex Motoseal both sides of the gasket. Don't use RTV.

Wish me luck.

I'm cutting wood tomorrow with a free to me Super XL. The drive gear was shot. Ordered another on evil bay, installed tonight and will run it tomorrow. This dirty girl is probably the 2nd best saw I have ever run. The first will be used tomorrow also. Is a Super 2. My dad bought it new in 80? for the farm. We cut fence lines etc with it until we moved in town. It was given to me and last year I cut 4 cords with the 16 inch bar. And no oiler line. This year I have replaced the oiler line and bar/chain. This has been my go to saw for 11 years. For some reason it just fits me. Must be the small hands. :rock:

Any way I would like to thank Eccentric for helping me tune these bad boys. The first chips flying will be in his honor.

Nice 955 VI I looked at today. Had a 28" bar and a ton of compression!!
100MEDIA_IMAG1433_zps23e51a8d.jpg

Sweet pair... Super EZ and a XL-123 that was in really good shape!
100MEDIA_IMAG1429_zps40c246b3.jpg

And of course the daddy of Homelite saws!!
100MEDIA_IMAG1434_zps5a413592.jpg

Can't forget this one... The reason I went to look! It should run with a carb kit or even just a little help from the squirt bottle. Tank is bone dry, seller emptied it years ago.
100MEDIA_IMAG1465_zpsa0d5207e.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 955 IV I looked at today. Had a 28" bar and a ton of compression!!
100MEDIA_IMAG1433_zps23e51a8d.jpg

Sweet pair... Super EZ and a XL-123 that was in really good shape!
100MEDIA_IMAG1429_zps40c246b3.jpg

And of course the daddy of Homelite saws!!
100MEDIA_IMAG1434_zps5a413592.jpg

Can't forget this one... The reason I went to look! It should run with a carb kit or even just a little help from the squirt bottle. Tank is bone dry, seller emptied it years ago.
100MEDIA_IMAG1465_zpsa0d5207e.jpg

AND they all came home...with you??

Well I was able to make saw dust. Actually it was like long strips of wood. I could have slept on it after the work was done. And here's the run down.

The Super XL ran very well. I had taken file to the chain and thought that would work. But believe I should have the chain professionally sharpened. It would ride on the wood and suddenly bite and pull through it very quickly. Yes the chain is the correct direction. It also felt and sounded like the chain was slipping on the new drive gear. Could it be slipping of the clutch? In the end when it bit it went through the wood(Ash 6 mo dry) very very quickly.

The Super 2 ran like it always has. Awesome. I put a new Oregon bar and chain on it. Wow for a little saw it really chews through the wood.

Is it normal for these older Homelites to start so well? All the time? Never ending?

Well I was able to make saw dust. Actually it was like long strips of wood. I could have slept on it after the work was done. And here's the run down.

The Super XL ran very well. I had taken file to the chain and thought that would work. But believe I should have the chain professionally sharpened. It would ride on the wood and suddenly bite and pull through it very quickly. Yes the chain is the correct direction. It also felt and sounded like the chain was slipping on the new drive gear. Could it be slipping of the clutch? In the end when it bit it went through the wood(Ash 6 mo dry) very very quickly.

The Super 2 ran like it always has. Awesome. I put a new Oregon bar and chain on it. Wow for a little saw it really chews through the wood.

Is it normal for these older Homelites to start so well? All the time? Never ending?

Yes it is. There had to be a reason why they were produced and sold for so many years, and in such huge numbers. Do you have a rim drive or spur sprocket on the Super XL?

sounds like you may need to set your rakers on that sxl. with a little practice and paying attention to what you're doing you can sharpen just as well as or better than a "professional". only time i even consider paying someone to sharpen mine is when i've tried really hard to cut a rock. maybe not even then. i just use a round file and am happy with my results. high rakers will keep your chain from biting. check em out.

Jerry,
You are 100% correct. How embarrassing. I have the flat file. Just never used it on my old new saw that came with a safety chain. (yuck)

I'll top off the rakers tonight. That should make a huge difference. I have always filed my own and freshened up after each tank of mix. Very excited to go at it tonight.

Back