Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll vote that way.

Still suffering the effects of last election......................................................................:msp_w00t:

Got another carb. you can try on there?

A worn throttle shaft/bushings could indeed cause that problem. Sometimes you can see if that's the cause by slathering some thick grease around the shaft at the bushings/carb body. Won't stay there for long, but can temporarily 'cure' the problem long enough for you to know what the cause is.

Thanks guys.
I will try the grease trick as I don't have another carb. I do have, I think, at least two saws with Tillotsons so I may swap a shaft if one fits to verify if that's the issue.
The strange thing is that the carb (HS model) has no markings on it (except for a serial number) Scratch that. What I thought was a serial No. is, I believe the model. It says S125B042. I think the H is missing from the stamp? That would make it an HS-125B. Mike Acres says HS-73A, HS-26A and the IPL for 901, 903 & 904 says HS-56A

The throttle shaft bore on the carb is OK so I need to find a shaft. I cannot find an IPL for those HS carbs. Tillotson has removed those from their site.

I'll let you know how I make out with it.

Last edited:
A worn throttle shaft/bushings could indeed cause that problem. Sometimes you can see if that's the cause by slathering some thick grease around the shaft at the bushings/carb body. Won't stay there for long, but can temporarily 'cure' the problem long enough for you to know what the cause is.

Another way to test throttle shaft is to hold a running saw at about 1/4 throttle and spray WD40 or carb cleaner around the throttle shaft, if it speeds up you have a leak there.

u7a6uheg.jpg

Ahhh look what flopped down on my bench.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

W.T.H. are they? C9's, 1020's? Both missing data tags......................................................

For some reason, that's common with the 6ci Homelites. None of my XP Homelites have tags. C-series saws don't seem to have that problem. I have more C-5 tags than I have C-5 saws.....

Super XL AO teardown help?

Howdy -

New member, and thanks to all for the knowledge already gained. I walked out of a local thrift store with a Super XL AO for $25 a couple of weeks ago. Ran like a champ until the other day when a slight noise preceeded the saw coming to a stop. I let her cool, took off the muffler, sprayed in some PB Blaster, and got the piston moving a bit. It looks fine on the muffler side, but there's something in the crankcase that's preventing a full rotation. Not good, I know.

I'm trying to get to the crankcase to open her up. Got the flywheel off (Autozone has free tool loans; the timing gear puller and a couple of 12-24 bolts); can't seem to get the clutch side off. I have manuals requested; in the meantime, any hints/experiences welcome. I've done some wrenching, but this is my first saw.

Also, the saw did not come with dogs. Anyone have a spare set laying around, or know where I can get some?

Thanks again for all the help to come -

Greg

I say 1020's. The 1050 usually has a screen over the starter.

That one on the right looks like it has chrome covers over the Lo and Hi jets openings... if so, it will most probably have the fixed-hi-jet SDC carb inside. Think only the Super 1050s (and Super 1130s) came this way. Of course anything can get changed out over time. Not sure, but I think all 1020 variants had the two separate manual oiler plugs (one under the filler and one in front facing where the fuel tank mounts) and by the 1050, they used the single plug under the filler that had back to back springs and balls. That would be one difference. Also if its a Super 1050, it'll use the thrust washers on the piston end on either side of the rod.

Dan

Check the screws behind the flywheel, they are known to work loose and bind stuff up.

D'oh! Yep, one of them was loose; I didn't think to try cranking it over after I got the flywheel off, but sure enough, no more problems. And the screw only shaved about a half a milimeter off the back of the flywheel. Guess that means i'll get a more immediate throttle response... ;-)

Thanks for the help, and the saving of the teardown. Now I can get back to work!

Greg

Back