Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a big pile of NOS Homelite parts today and there are a couple of parts I don't have a clue which saws they belong to, anyone recognize these.

Cover is # A-58372-1

The starter is A-58313

Thanks Tim

HL.jpg

Man that's something. I never know that they made a 'manual oiler only' version of these saws by omitting the fitting on the crankcase, the pressure line, the connector, and the duckbill.................and fitting that stupid 'primer' type fuel cap on the oil tank.

I think you just need to get the crankcase fitting (or source something similar from some place like McMaster-Karr), drill and tap your crankcase for that fitting (if it doesn't already have a tapped hole with a plug in it), drill a second hole in your oil tank, run a line from your new fitting into the oil tank, and put a length of brass tube (or the bronze 'connector') and a duckbill on the end of that line inside the tank.

I looked into that but it looks like they changed the crankcase too. I took some pics. There is no longer a "flat spot" area to put a fitting in. The pic below is of an XL I found online showing how I was before with the older XL's.

XLOiler.jpg

Below are pics of my LX30 Bandit (as you can see it has run for about a total of 2-3 minutes). Notice the difference. I don't know if there's enough room anywhere to put a fitting in..?

DSC08637.jpg

DSC08636.jpg

DSC08633.jpg

DSC08631.jpg

DSC08630.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a big pile of NOS Homelite parts today and there are a couple of parts I don't have a clue which saws they belong to, anyone recognize these.

Cover is # A-58372-1

The starter is A-58313

Thanks Tim

HL.jpg

I am guessing without looking up the #'s but will say the starter is C5 and cover is C7-C9

Parts info

Cover is # A-58372-1

The starter is A-58313

Thanks Tim

HL.jpg

The starter cover A-58313 is for a Zip-B, the last model Zip.
chainsawlady

chainsawlady

Ah thanks chainsawlady I was thinking Zip because of the color but didn't have the IPL to look it up. I grabbed a few parts that I wanted out of the pile and sent the rest to a local shop that use to be a Homelite dealer. One of the first things then noticed was a box of round filter they said they are Zip air filters, I didn't have a clue.

tm

I am guessing without looking up the #'s but will say the starter is C5 and cover is C7-C9

Thanks Jim the cover is right but he recoil housing is thinner then the C-5~C9, I have a new one of those also.

Tim

chainsawlady

Yep. Can tell that's a Zip starter cover because it's blue and uses four mounting screws (a C-5 uses three). The AF cover is for a C-7. C-5 would be blue, and C-9 would be green. Later covers (C-51 thru 3100G with various markings and colors) would have the side inlet holes rather than the rear inlet (C-5 thru C-9 style).

Ah thanks chainsawlady I was thinking Zip because of the color but didn't have the IPL to look it up. I grabbed a few parts that I wanted out of the pile and sent the rest to a local shop that use to be a Homelite dealer. One of the first things then noticed was a box of round filter they said they are Zip air filters, I didn't have a clue.

tm

What's the part # on those air filters?

I had posted in the chainsaw section and was directed here. My original post

"I have a 1972 model Homelite Super Wiz 66 with a 30" bar. I need to replace the bar and chain. Researching Oregon they show a 30" bar but its a .375 pitch 58 gauge. The info I find on the SW66 shows it to be a 1/2 pitch 60 gauge. Is it possible to find a 30"bar and chain for this saw.? If no 1/2 pitch chain and bar us available what are my options or am I SOL. Ive read about .404 conversions etc on here but there isnt really any specifics on where I can find parts."

I really enjoy running this thing but its time for a new parts so I would REALLY appreciate any guidance on this.

Yep. Can tell that's a Zip starter cover because it's blue and uses four mounting screws (a C-5 uses three). The AF cover is for a C-7. C-5 would be blue, and C-9 would be green. Later covers (C-51 thru 3100G with various markings and colors) would have the side inlet holes rather than the rear inlet (C-5 thru C-9 style).

What's the part # on those air filters?

Don't know now they are gone but they were around 6" long and maybe 1-1/2 diameter with a rubber seal around both ends full box of 5 of them, I would have never guessed they were air filters.

Bunch of brass clutch shoes of various shapes and sizes (heavy) that were fun to look at hundreds of small envelopes and boxes of parts. I just kept a few pickings a 750 electronic module, couple of NOS carbs, some rings, a NOS 925 oil pump, some Super EZ stuff and etc and sold the hundreds of other parts for $50.

Last edited:

"I have a 1972 model Homelite Super Wiz 66 with a 30" bar. I need to replace the bar and chain. Researching Oregon they show a 30" bar but its a .375 pitch 58 gauge. The info I find on the SW66 shows it to be a 1/2 pitch 60 gauge. Is it possible to find a 30"bar and chain for this saw.? If no 1/2 pitch chain and bar us available what are my options or am I SOL. Ive read about .404 conversions etc on here but there isnt really any specifics on where I can find parts."

I really enjoy running this thing but its time for a new parts so I would REALLY appreciate any guidance on this.

I can always seem to find bars, check long time small engine shops and ask if they have any old bars in the junk pile. The half inch chain is going to be a little more difficult, start with the same small engine shops and ask if they have any old dusty boxes of 1/2 inch chain shoved away some where, next would be to ask around here, some have brand new chain still on the roll and will sell it to you, just do not be shocked by how much they charge.

First off you need to see what chain and sprocket you are running now. If the sprocket is bad then that may determine what you put back on and chain pitch you will need.

For a quick check lay your chain next to a ruler and 1/2 pitch will have 12 drive links per foot. 404 is 14 DL per foot.

When hunting for a bar you can go original with hardnose or maybe upgrade to a roller nose. Both are not hard to find if you know where to look.

This guy sells 25 foot of 1/2 .063 chipper and also stocks .058 if you end up with a 58 bar.

VINTAGE BLUE JET 50-B1 CHAINSAW CHAIN 1/2".063 GAGE | eBay

First off you need to see what chain and sprocket you are running now. If the sprocket is bad then that may determine what you put back on and chain pitch you will need.

For a quick check lay your chain next to a ruler and 1/2 pitch will have 12 drive links per foot. 404 is 14 DL per foot.

When hunting for a bar you can go original with hardnose or maybe upgrade to a roller nose. Both are not hard to find if you know where to look.

This guy sells 25 foot of 1/2 .063 chipper and also stocks .058 if you end up with a 58 bar.

VINTAGE BLUE JET 50-B1 CHAINSAW CHAIN 1/2".063 GAGE | eBay

Thank you, I think Ive located a bar but I do need to identify what I have. The manual clearly shows 404 8 tooth sprocket std but an option for a 8 tooth 1/2 or 7 tooth 7/16. Now Im not sure its 1/2 but your info is VERY helpful and will get me to the next step.

Thank you, I think Ive located a bar but I do need to identify what I have. The manual clearly shows 404 8 tooth sprocket std but an option for a 8 tooth 1/2 or 7 tooth 7/16. Now Im not sure its 1/2 but your info is VERY helpful and will get me to the next step.

I know its Thanksgiving but I had to go ahead and check. Positively 1/2 chain and sprocket so I think this figured out. Located a bar and sprocket now I just need to find chain before I start dropping the $$

Don't know now they are gone but they were around 6" long and maybe 1-1/2 diameter with a rubber seal around both ends full box of 5 of them, I would have never guessed they were air filters.

Bunch of brass clutch shoes of various shapes and sizes (heavy) that were fun to look at hundreds of small envelopes and boxes of parts. I just kept a few pickings a 750 electronic module, couple of NOS carbs, some rings, a NOS 925 oil pump, some Super EZ stuff and etc and sold the hundreds of other parts for $50.

Yikes...:bang:

Back