Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the lettering on the recoil is all black, that would be a first run saw.

Yep...........and the SN he has is too high for it to be that early. I've had three older blue/white saws in this series with lower SN's than his, and they still had the red lettering on the recoil cover (and didn't have the 'button' in the center of the cover or the smaller crankshaft PTO end.......but did have the 'wick' fuel pickup). The only saw I have that's a first run unit is my XL-15. Red/white with black lettering and all of the 'early' saw features. Unfortunately, the gear drive clutch cover and clutch parts had been replaced with direct drive XL-12/SXL pieces before I got the saw....

offbrands002-1.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

I've got one almost exactly like that saw. Has a P/C from a later SXL swapped in. Has the wick and 5/16" studs, but the larger PTO shaft.

100_2133.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2132.jpg

I'll never sell this saw. Was a birthday present from my wife in 2007.:D

So what do you want for it?

Homelite Ranger 33 Chain Brake & Cover

Hi all I usually post in the main forum or the Partner thread but try not to hold that against me.
I have a 33 ranger a guy gave me and he took the chainbrake beacuse the clutch and bearing failed ? ( dont ask ) and in doing so he lost the small coil spring that makes the brake work some how I think it goes at the far end of the brake band. I went to the hardware store and got an assortment of springs to try to replace the one he lost. I really dont know how or where this is supposed to go I think it goes down inside the handle assembly,... if I remember correctly.(I did this about 6 mos ago) anyway the brake still does not work, I keep the saw in my Polaris ranger as a trail saw but would feel better if it worked correctly. My question is does anyone have a junk 33 they would part with? I actually only need the chainbrake assembly if you have one please pm me. I guess they come up on e-bay once and a while but I dont know how to buy stuff there, the whole pay pal thing? Thanks for any help,.. Jeff

Hi all I usually post in the main forum or the Partner thread but try not to hold that against me.
I have a 33 ranger a guy gave me and he took the chainbrake beacuse the clutch and bearing failed ? ( dont ask ) and in doing so he lost the small coil spring that makes the brake work some how I think it goes at the far end of the brake band. I went to the hardware store and got an assortment of springs to try to replace the one he lost. I really dont know how or where this is supposed to go I think it goes down inside the handle assembly,... if I remember correctly.(I did this about 6 mos ago) anyway the brake still does not work, I keep the saw in my Polaris ranger as a trail saw but would feel better if it worked correctly. My question is does anyone have a junk 33 they would part with? I actually only need the chainbrake assembly if you have one please pm me. I guess they come up on e-bay once and a while but I dont know how to buy stuff there, the whole pay pal thing? Thanks for any help,.. Jeff

PM sent.

If the lettering on the recoil is all black, that would be a first run saw.

Yep...........and the SN he has is too high for it to be that early. I've had three older blue/white saws in this series with lower SN's than his, and they still had the red lettering on the recoil cover (and didn't have the 'button' in the center of the cover or the smaller crankshaft PTO end.......but did have the 'wick' fuel pickup). The only saw I have that's a first run unit is my XL-15. Red/white with black lettering and all of the 'early' saw features. Unfortunately, the gear drive clutch cover and clutch parts had been replaced with direct drive XL-12/SXL pieces before I got the saw....

offbrands002-1.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

This one has the wick filter, 5/16" bar studs and the small PTO shaft.

View attachment 278667
View attachment 278668

Sold him last fall.

Oh, and the stack exhaust.

I've got one almost exactly like that saw. Has a P/C from a later SXL swapped in. Has the wick and 5/16" studs, but the larger PTO shaft.

100_2133.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2132.jpg

I'll never sell this saw. Was a birthday present from my wife in 2007.:D

So I gather that black lettering, wick filter, small PTO, and 5/16" bar studs, would indicate a very early model. What does the button in the center of the recoil look like? Would you add a cast muffler and TJ-8J stubby plug to the list of what to look for also? The reason that I ask is that my dad bought one of the first ones that came out and I'd like to know what to look for if I stumble upon one that I could restore.

So what do you want for it?

One meeeeellllllleeeonn dollars...:jester:

How much for the C-5?:popcorn:

If you're serious, and not just pulling my leg like Jeffus, then send me a PM. There is no sentimental attachment to that C-5, although it is cherry.:D

So I gather that black lettering, wick filter, small PTO, and 5/16" bar studs, would indicate a very early model. What does the button in the center of the recoil look like? Would you add a cast muffler and TJ-8J stubby plug to the list of what to look for also? The reason that I ask is that my dad bought one of the first ones that came out and I'd like to know what to look for if I stumble upon one that I could restore.

I'd forgotten the 'stubby' TJ plug. Both my pictured saws originally had those plugs, but have been converted. The Homelite SM mentions the conversion.... and Homelite used to sell the plug caps for conversion to the CJ6/CJ8 "bantam" plugs (their term).

The 'button' is a dime-size raised area in the center of the recoil cover. My red XL-15 has it, but it's mostly obscured by the handlebar in the picture.

Old Blue Home ?

The title should have been "Homie" not home sorry,..Back in the mid 60's to mid 70's my grandfarther made his living on the land I own now cutting wood.He cut 4' pulp hauled it to the front field with his 47 Alis Chalmers. The trucks came and loaded his wood and he would begin again. He cut limbed loaded and hauled 1 cord each day year round.When he passed away he had put $22,000 in the bank he was 78 when he quit cutting.
All I remember about his saw was it was a loud blue and white homelite with a sort of striped air cleaner cover.Full wrap handle probobly an 16" or 18" bar and maybe 45-60 cc or somthing.He owned this saw a long time and I dont know what ever became of it maybe his son my uncle ended up with it?
What do you suppose he had for a saw? Someday I would like to narrow it down and get one and fix it up to keep here at the home place. It looks similar to the one in the above posts and thats what got me thinking about him.Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back