Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several parts saws still in my garage, I will investigate those before I buy anything.

Found out today the coil is also dead. I will see if I can remove the spark plug wire and determine if it is the coil or just the wire.

Next week...

Mark

If you still talking about that SW66, I've found the coils and ignitions are pretty much the same. Any of those generation will swap ignitions. They are even the same as the 900 series monsters along with the CCW flywheels.

got the SXL 925 to start and run for the first time, as long as I keep feathering the throttle. will not idle on its own, just dies no matter where I adjust the low and hi screws if I stop feathering it. has a hesitation. idle screw is adjusted plenty high for adjusting the carb screws. carb has been kitted and carb holds pressure. guess I need to pressure and vacuum test the crankcase next.

did the pressure and vacuum tests. no drop and held a vacuum all during lunch. as I said before, the carb also holds pressure and vacuum. have taken the carb apart again, all gaskets and diaphragms are in the correct order. tried different spark plugs. just do not get it. fires but won't idle. runs as long as I keep feathering the trigger. take my finger off the throttle and it goes blah and dies. anyone have any ideas?

PXL_20240831_172735579.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240831_181719517.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240831_181741299.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_181954654.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_182018846.MP.jpg

IPL calls this brass piece a check valve. drove it out and did the blow and suck test with a pc of fuel line. no check valve in it so I probed it with a tiny torch cleaner and just a hole going all the way thru. if it had a check valve disc inside it is gone now. would this cause it to die on idle?

PXL_20240831_165928730.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_202111017.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_195704465.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_202449890.MP.jpgPXL_20240831_200308911.MP.jpg

I had one of those carbs on a 922. It’s a fixed jet basically. You can pretty much close the hi jet off. Forget what factory setting is. 1/2 to 3/4 I’m guessing. I could not get it to tune at all. Pretty much exactly what you were describing. I messed around for a long time then just swapped it out for an older XL700 carb. Worked perfect after that.

Peruse this.

Thread 'Dang, Tillotson/Homelite has me stumped and mad!' https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/dang-tillotson-homelite-has-me-stumped-and-mad.148412/
yes, apparently, I have what is referred to in another old thread I found as the "dreaded" Tillotson 151B. thanks. I also read an old thread from House of Homelite where Leon said that he had a number of new nozzles in stock (at the time) and he could see thru them all, no check valves. thank you for the link.

Without the check valve it is likely the engine is flooding at idle due to pressure on the wet side pushing fuel through the idle ports.

Mark
agree, but I was reading an old House of Homelite thread last night where Leon said that none of the new nozzles he had in stock at that time appeared to have check valves as he could see right thru them. I've ordered 2 nozzles from ebay, a 69793, which is listed in the IPL I pasted above, which is for the HS 151B carb and also ordered a 65493 nozzle which the seller says was for the 900 and 920 models.

I have 2 NOS nozzles for the PM1000 Tillotson carb, but they are longer and a larger diameter and do not have the jet hole in the top.

the question still remains, as Modified Mark said in the thread cbfarmall linked above, what changed to make these apparently non check valve nozzles fail when they were working previously? and why did Tillotson label them as check valves when they are wide open?

BTW, I did know about the High screw needing to be run lean because of the nozzle, had read that somewhere. I have had the high needle at 1/2 out but have not tried it completely closed, or almost closed.

Latest posts

Back