How many logs fit in a dump truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
How many cord of logs can fit on a tri-axle dump truck? The bed is 16' so logs will be 15.5'. One guy told me 10 face cord (3-1/3 cord) and another told me 15 face (5 cord). That seems like a large variation but the guy that said 15 told me he stacks them 2' over the wood plank rails on the side of the box... I tend to believe the guy that quoted me 10 cord but he's asking about the same amount that I could buy cut split delivered wood for. The guy that claims 15 is right in line if he's telling the truth. What say you?

In both cases logs are straight and 90% are <20" at the but.

How many cord of logs can fit on a tri-axle dump truck? The bed is 16' so logs will be 15.5'. One guy told me 10 face cord (3-1/3 cord) and another told me 15 face (5 cord). That seems like a large variation but the guy that said 15 told me he stacks them 2' over the wood plank rails on the side of the box... I tend to believe the guy that quoted me 10 cord but he's asking about the same amount that I could buy cut split delivered wood for. The guy that claims 15 is right in line if he's telling the truth. What say you?

If you were hauling dirt, how many yards will your truck hold? We can back the math out of that number.

If you were hauling dirt, how many yards will your truck hold? We can back the math out of that number.
Not my truck and I'm not familiar enough with tri axle dump trucks to know how many yards they carry. Still might not be enough anyways because I doibt they haul 100% volume of their box. I need someone familiar enough tell me the inside dimensions of the box.

Not my truck and I'm not familiar enough with tri axle dump trucks to know how many yards they carry. Still might not be enough anyways because I doibt they haul 100% volume of their box. I need someone familiar enough tell me the inside dimensions of the box.
I can't help you 100 percent then. What I can tell you is many of those trucks carry about 12 yards of dirt which is equivalent to 2.5 cords. As you have pointed out, a dump truck's rated load doesn't mean that it is full to the top. So if one guy says 10 face cords (3 1/3 cord) and the other says 15 face will fit with stacking them over the top of the metal I would have to say they are both right.

Do keep in mind that a cord of logs yields something less than a cord of split firewood due to all of the air space between the logs. My buddy bought 10 cords of logs for his OWB this winter and ran out in February because his stove uses 8 cords of firewood a year.

how tall are the sides of the dump truck?
just doing the math 15.5 x 7 (wide) 4 (tall, not heaped) =434 cu. ft/ 128 (sq ft in a cord) =3.39 cords.

but keep in mind thats log cords. c,s,s will work out to be more wood when measured. Its been discussed many times.

oh ok. well then its gonna be tough to guess. worst case you buy one load and it doesn't work out, chalk it up to a learning lesson. I've bought semi loads of logs in the past. I was always leery, because the price was big and they couldn't tell me how many cords were on the truck. but after I bought the load. I was extremely happy with the volume. it worked out to be $40 per cord. but the amount he brought me would take me weeks of back breaking work in the woods.

Look before you leap.

Talk to the guys and see if they'll make arrangements to let you come by and see a load or two when they're freighted. Not only will you get a feel for the amount on the truck, but along with it, meeting a potential business associate / supplier face to face never hurts. If your wood will be coming off the same lot you'll get an idea as to what to expect for species and quality.

Been in the wood business as a supplier, buyer, and hired gun, for longer than I wish to admit, and can say anybody legit will be happy to meet with you, and on the other hand as a rule of thumb, if the excuses start flying as soon as you ask there's something they're hiding. Though not as effective, asking for references is a quicker way to screen. If he won't give you the names of a couple customers to check with, smells fishy.

Guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way, it isn't so much how much the truck holds, as how much and what quality he puts on it.

Take Care

Look before you leap.

Talk to the guys and see if they'll make arrangements to let you come by and see a load or two when they're freighted. Not only will you get a feel for the amount on the truck, but along with it, meeting a potential business associate / supplier face to face never hurts. If your wood will be coming off the same lot you'll get an idea as to what to expect for species and quality.

Been in the wood business as a supplier, buyer, and hired gun, for longer than I wish to admit, and can say anybody legit will be happy to meet with you, and on the other hand as a rule of thumb, if the excuses start flying as soon as you ask there's something they're hiding. Though not as effective, asking for references is a quicker way to screen. If he won't give you the names of a couple customers to check with, smells fishy.

Guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way, it isn't so much how much the truck holds, as how much and what quality he puts on it.

Take Care
Good answer. Gave you a like and a :cheers:

A Lot of variables when buying dump truck loads. For one, is the wood placed in the bed in and effort to maximize the amount of wood the bed will hold, or is it just throwed in. I have bought triaxle dump truck loads before and I can tell you, if its someone clearing a house site and just trying to get rid of the wood, they throw it on the truck as fast as they can and haul it to wherever to get rid of it. In this case, you might get 3 full cords and you might not. I have also bought loads that the operator stacked into the truck bed and gotten close to 4 cords. My thoughts are to not pay for more than 3.5 full cords and hope you get what you paid for. Small dia wood in a dump bed wont add up to large dia wood in the same truck bed, and the small stuff is usually more crooked and doesnt stack as tight. Also most drivers wont stack the wood higher then the tail gate because of fears the wood will get hung in the bed and not dump. The folks that remove their tailgates for hauling wont stack very high and tight either for fear of spreading out the bed.

It's for sure more than 2-3 cords. I fit a real fat 2 cords of logs in my 1 ton dump truck with a 12ft bed. We are allowed up to 4ft stick out (have to flag) so I put ~15-16' logs in it. Look at my pic in the avatard, that's the truck with me next to it.... that was the first load I hauled, like 3 days after I got the truck so it wasn't as full as I do now... I put some better springs/helpers, better tires, etc.

Anyhow, with my big dumptruck, it's got an 18ft bed, so I'd put 22ish fters in there. The sides are just under 6ft tall and it's just a bit under 8 ft wide. It fits 5.5 cords of firewood. I'd guess it would fit 6 cords of logs if the trees stacked in there pretty well.

Its not how much will fit in the bed, but how much they are willing to place in the bed. A load 22'x6'x8' would be about 8.5 cords of wood. But are you willing to take the time to stack it in your bed so that it actually has 8.5 cord of wood, or do you stop when you get 5.5 cords on the truck. I have found every dump truck load to be different. It all depends on who's doing the hauling and the quality of the wood they are getting and how well they stack it in the bed.

My trailer is 16 ft long, 80" wide, with 3 ft side walls (including the board). What you see here is nearly exactly 2 cord (using 90 cu ft of solid wood in a cord). Each log was measured / recorded as I pay the land owner per cord.

20150313_101307.jpg

Please explain the solid 90 cuft per cord. I thought 128 cuft is a cord. Is that 128cuft taking into account air space. or is it something different. I am thinking you are saying 90 solid cuft will equal 128 cuft once split. Correct me if I'm wrong

Please explain the solid 90 cuft per cord. I thought 128 cuft is a cord. Is that 128cuft taking into account air space. or is it something different. I am thinking you are saying 90 solid cuft will equal 128 cuft once split. Correct me if I'm wrong

For figuring, as I usually don't split on site, I use 90 cu ft of solid wood to equal 128 cu ft of split wood. I know it varies, but that's what I like to use.

For figuring, as I usually don't split on site, I use 90 cu ft of solid wood to equal 128 cu ft of split wood. I know it varies, but that's what I like to use.
I know there are many calculators you can use to determine how much wood in a log and suspected that was what you where suggesting. Not sure I agree with 90cuft being 128cuft of split wood. 42% is a big jump. Then again, I have never calculated the amount of wood in a log and then split/stacked it to see how it would tally out. I will try to remember this and give it a try next time I am processing my wood.

Back