Husqvarna 242

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBox

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How do you convert a husky 242 to a 242xp? I have this older husky 242 that runs pretty good after I jury rigged the choke lever with a piece of wire (it was missing (the choke lever) and had no plug when I got it out of the pile of used saws in the shed, lol). Anyways I've been playing around with it a bit and it doesn't seem to have the punch that I've read about these saws having. It cuts at about the same speed as a newer stock echo cs-400, and it seems like it should cut faster then that...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

saw specs

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...990510ff0205ff2388256d09001f7e0c?OpenDocument
what is the compression like. try this lift the saw by the start cord handle, if the saw has has usable compression it should be slow to unspool the stater cord. if it drops really quick rebuild is due. another thought came to me pull the muffler too. check that the piston is in good shape no streaks. also check the muffler out for carbon or obstuction.
:givebeer:

Last edited:
Compression is good. I haven't pulled the exhaust to look in the cylinder, but it seems to run strong, just not as strong as I was expecting.

saw idea

try opening up you muffler out let 15 %. also tak out the baffle if possible:rock: :rock: you wil then want to reset the carb, start 1 turn open from a lightly seat high, and 3/4 turn open from a lightly seat low needle
:givebeer:

Last edited:
It would also not be a bad idea to rebuild the carb, it's cheap and may produce positive results. Check out your fuel line and filter while you're at it.

Check compression, +1 on opening up the muffler.

The carb fuel line and filter are fine.. I ran 5 tanks thru it cutting oak and pine after I put the plug in and fixed the choke. Also the oiler was adjusted way to low, so I had to turn that up. It just doesn't scream like I thought it would in the cut. 14,500 is fast..

Cant remember for sure but i think 242xp had a bit different piston than 242, althou im not sure so dont quote me on that...

First thing I would do is throw that safety chain in the trash.

the 242 has two different cyl gaskets one is 1mm thick the other is 0,5mm, the 242 was designed as "speed limber" and for that it's hard to beat and when cutting thin limbs the rpm stays up in the high end but drops a bit when bucking, I have a 242xpg on the work bench at the moment that's in for a carb service with new membrane's and fuel filter makes a big difference :)
this saw model is worth some elbow grease I think !!!

I don't remember if I disassembled the carb on this one, I don't think I did, but I had the cover off to adjust the carb and clean the air filter. I've been going thru a pile of old saws that were in various sheds and this one is probably the best of them. I rebuilt 2 or 3 walboro carbs that use the same rebuild kit as this one, but I'm pretty sure i didn't tear it down. It really doesn't feel like it has any carb or fuel issues. I took it out for a day of cutting and ran 5 tanks thru it.

So the base gasket is .5 mm thinner on the xp vs the non xp? The extra .3 or so HP and 1000 rpm is from higher compression? The jug and electronics are the same?

My 242XP is an awsome little saw, It puts a smile on my face every time i use it:rock:
Its sitting right on 15,300 and with the 13" bar burried pulls over 11,500 in the cut and seems to be getting stronger as the new piston/rings bed in.
Im fighting the urge to give it a mild port job.:)

The specs i saw for the saws was
42 special 2.9hp 14,500
242 3.0hp 15,000
242XP 3.1hp 15,500

mmm I reviewed my info and I was using the 42 specs.. 242 is higher then 42 but not quite 242xp.. that .5mm on the base gasket might be the difference..

242 vs. 242xp

I have been working on a few 242 model husky's and they have a completly different cylinder than the 242xp models. They both have closed port cylinders but they are look different from the outside and the ports are larger on the xp model. The thinner base gasket is good but remove it and open up the exhaust to make these saws run even stronger.

Thanks for the info, but I sold this saw awhile back. Good to know that its a different cylinder and not just the base gasket that is different between the 242 and 242xp.

242xp

Could you give some more details about the 242 and 242xp cylinders. I have 2 saws that both are marked like this one, but one has xp on the plastic parts.
Pruit

242 vs 242xp

OK, after looking at 242, 242xp and 42 cylinders, I am seeing a difference in all of them. The 242xp has a couple small cooling fins on the transfer port bulge near the intake, neither of the other saws have these. The 42 and the 242xp have a round opening for the rear bolts down into the fins unlike the 242, these are mounts for the extra long rear bolts on the 42. The 42 inside and out looks closer to the 242xp, than the 242 does other than the open port design on the 42. The intake port on the 242 is more oval and narrow where the xp and the 42 have a larger rectagle shape intake. These are the most noticable differences with all the ports slightly larger on the 242xp. This should clear up some of the conflict here, I love these saws and have 3-242 cases with 2 complete and running one is ported to the xp specs. I also have a heavily ported 42 running, along with a mildly ported 246. My 242xp is the pride of the fleet but still doesn't cut as fast as the 246. There's no replacement for displacement...

242xp

Thanks for the detailed answer. I am also badly in need of a carb for a 242, an HDA 98. If you know of one, let me know.
Willysmn

I'm gonna part one together...

as I find parts.... and was thinking the 246 jug would be the way to go...

a nice light screamer.. should outcut my MS250 when finished. (if?)

Back