Husqvarna 242

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 246 will give the best all around performance. The 242xp will cut small stuff alittle faster but over 6-8 inches the 246 pulls ahead.

I thought the only difference between the 42 special and 242xp was the piston; one was dished and the other was flat. If that's not the case what's the difference between 42 and 42 special, just the 2 vs 3 shoe clutch?

So does the 42 special have a closed port design?

I thought the only difference between the 42 special and 242xp was the piston; one was dished and the other was flat. If that's not the case what's the difference between 42 and 42 special, just the 2 vs 3 shoe clutch?

My 42 special has a flattop piston and open transfer ports. And thanks to the shared knowledge here from a group of very talented individuals, has been successfully woods ported and mm-ed. I named her "light saber".

If your 242 has a closed port design I would get that sucker ported and go cut some wood:rock:If going cheap I would open the muffler up and lose the base gasket or make a thinner one depending on the squish and widen the exhaust port.I have one 44 left I did that to and it will out cut a stock MS260 3.2hp in smaller wood.

Anyone have a 444,42,242,242xp,246 with mag case that want to trade for my 254 Olympic with new rings,rebuilt carb and all gone through and cleaned?
attachment.php

Be aware that the 444 belongs to a different (and older) saw "family" than the others on that list.

Don't I know.I bought one new in my late 20's so you know how old I am.I also bought a new 162SE,480CD and a 61.I don't know why but $500.00 for the 444SE is stuck in my head for a price.

Sorry I like my 42 special to much!!
I still have one 44 left.Its mildly ported and I bought it used in 1984.I will never sell that one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Its wearing a 240 top in pic and now has a 140 starter cover and newer handle/tank that is vented through the tank and not the gas cap:hmm3grin2orange:There are a lot of interchangeable parts for these saws.

Back