Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are getting free fire wood? How the heck do you pull that off?
Just knowing people or Facebook. I got some real nice birch and elm off fb. And about 12+cords of oak from a guy at work, I have to go back and get the 36" stuff Sunday probably noodle it into better sizes to load. Remington 754 and 990 featuredScreenshot_20240912-182256.pngIMG_20240912_163406698_HDR.jpgScreenshot_20240912-182911.pngScreenshot_20240912-204959.png

Yup . She’s getting a little tired though may have to get it rebuilt at some point
I was surprised it wasn't the 7900.
Miss mine, after saying that I'm probably going to have to look at pictures of it now 😆.
Those big rounds take a good bit of time, but they sure produce a lot of splits.

I was surprised it wasn't the 7900.
Miss mine, after saying that I'm probably going to have to look at pictures of it now 😆.
Those big rounds take a good bit of time, but they sure produce a lot of splits.
Morning men. Yes it is amazing how much split firewood comes from big rounds. Did some noodling with my homey 925 the other day. It handles it quite well.

Yup . She’s getting a little tired though may have to get it rebuilt at some point
I've got a ported 460 done by Doc Al that runs very strong (046-D cylinder w/bridge ports). Does not get as much use as it should since he subsequently did a Hybrid for me that runs just as strong and is lighter (also has a 046-D jug).

Although they say the regular 460 just run just as strong after porting, I've always had good luck with the 046-D jugs and used to seek and hord them. I have 3 running saws with them (the 460 and 2 Hybrids), and I think I have another unused one in storage. Plus, I built a 460 I gave to a grandnephew with one.

From the factory, the 046 Magnums (the originals with dual port mufflers) were the strongest 046/460s produced.

Ironically, all 044/440s also have D jugs! Many stock 440s ran just as strong as the heavier 460s. Both generally woke up very well with base gasket delete, muffler mods, timing advance, and low restriction air filters. My modified (but unported) 10mm 044 has embarrassed a lot of larger saws at GTGs.

The proposed zoning changes are at https://www.ci.carmel.ny.us/system/files/uploads/townofcarmel.zoningdraft.pdf I pulled out the gun club related section... attached.
My take on it is that the requirements for new clubs are designed to make it impossible to satisfy Carmel... effectively banning new clubs in Carmel. For example:
I heard the club members were pleased with the outcome, as there was agreement to exclude the existing clubs from the new regulations (which was their concern).

I've been a member of PCFGA since about 1980 and use to be a Board Member.

However, I also spoke to my brother (a Lawyer) about it, and he said it may be an example of "Exclusionary Zoning", which is illegal!

I heard the club members were pleased with the outcome, as there was agreement to exclude the existing clubs from the new regulations (which was their concern).

I've been a member of PCFGA since about 1980 and use to be a Board Member.

However, I also spoke to my brother (a Lawyer) about it, and he said it may be an example of "Exclusionary Zoning", which is illegal!
I agree with your brother… I’ve spent enough time in city council and county legislature committee meetings (1,000+ of them), and as an appointed advisor to same, to see what goes on. By the time it reaches the public it’s often difficult to change course… I’d try to get someone involved in the zoning process to add grandfather language beyond the “new rod and gun” (from memory) verbiage.

Back