Husqvarna question "288's"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the pictures are bigger. this saw was given just over $200 in new parts not counting any of the labor. the only issue is the muffler exhaust deflector as stated in the listing. many people remove these anyway so the saw breaths better and run cooler

Congrats. I also had a bid in on that one. I didn't pursue to heavily though, since I'd still have to find a full wrap handle for it. I have a new high top set up for one. Think I'll put it on my 281. Glad somebody on here got it!

Why don't yall just rub it in. :cry: Hopefully I can get mine finished soon and then I can finally brag too ;)

Good snag sir! Looks like a great saw built back to give a long of trouble free life :msp_thumbup:

I am still drooling over the one in the classified's!!!!!!!!!!!!
She needs to be in some wood!!!!
There might be time for me to get my shat in line!!

What'cha waiting on?? You've got my email address!

Neal,
It is CAD at it's fullest!
The last Boat anchor I got hit the pay-pal kitty pretty deep.
Have a couple irons in the fire, but by the time they cherry up, I am sure she will be gone!
If not, your email will be spammed up by me.
Sad part I want it for a work saw and I fell deep into CAD as I added another shelf queen!
I can never win! LOL!!

I can feel that quick rev-ing saw with all that snot just tearing through some logs put on death row!!
Not to mention the smell, oh the smell!

"2-stroke and and my hot wife, man my life is good!"

I could give you half of my 2101? LOL! My buddy has a nice one with the ht cover. Won't use it but wont part with it. He would trade it for my 044 but I can't part with saw's man. And the 44 has been good to me! Shiat keep's me up sometime's thinking of that 288!

It's going to take me a bit to get to it, but I need to build another 288!...I've got enough stuff to easily build another.

I keep getting local guys giving me large stacks of cash for my 288's so I'm back down to one and a 281 I built has a new owner coming for it on Thursday.:msp_w00t:

I'm in the middle of an 044 build, then I've got an 042 that needs rings and a P85 partner that needs some work.......It's going to be awhile.:dizzy:

attachment.php

I have a NOS 288 in the works. I love the 288's but after getting my new 390xpw back from Simon , it makes you think twice. Im still not gettin rid of them though. Thanks again simon. One sweet saw.

attachment.php

I have a NOS 288 in the works. I love the 288's but after getting my new 390xpw back from Simon , it makes you think twice. Im still not gettin rid of them though. Thanks again simon. One sweet saw.

All I can say is WOW. :rock::bowdown::msp_thumbsup:

If money wasn't a factor you could build a new 288 from partstree . I just need a new fuel tank muffler and a few small nuts and bolts type stuff. Been finding it here and there. slowly. For the same price you could get a new 390xpw. Which is way smoother and every bit as powerful if not more. 390's are probable the most under-hyped saw around.

Last edited:
attachment.php

There's enough NOS parts that come up on Ebay to build a new 288 if a person was diligent enough. That's a great project!!:rock:

So a little back story: A few years ago I was dropping lightning struck cedar trees at a girls camp for our church. The surrounding property is owned by PG&E, and they mark trees they would like taken down. The trees were all in the 3-4 foot diameter range so after dropping 6 trees a big storm blew in ending the fun...........when I got home later that afternoon my neighbor saw me in my garage cleaning my MS 390, and asked me what I was doing? So I told him about the trees, and that I wished I had a bigger saw to make it easier. He said his boss inherited one from a neighbor when her husband died, and that it was big, but he didn't think it ran. So I told him I'd like to take a look at it............a week later he came over with a really dirty saw that was sporting a 24" bar, and in his hand he had a 36" bar with a tip that wouldn't budge.
I gladly accepted the saw, and he repeated that his boss said it didn't run, but I told him I'd clean it up, and see what it would take to get it running. Well once I got it cleaned, and all the old fuel drained I pulled the plug to find that it was old and covered in some nasty looking goo. I put some fresh mix down the plug hole and pulled it through real slow, put in a new plug, filled the tank with fresh gas, and she popped on the third pull.
I went, and showed my neighbor the saw, and the bar that just needed some high pressure air to clean it and a little grease in the tip sprocket. I told him I would buy it off his boss, his boss told me it didn't run, he was never going to use it, and since I did all the work I could just keep it.
So here is what it looks like today.
View attachment 194787View attachment 194788View attachment 194789View attachment 194790

Back