Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess all I want to know is...is it worth it to take the time to put one of these together and leave the cylinder stock? Has this question been answered? If so I'm sorry. The banter police haven't been here to clean this beotch up yet...and there's a lot of ******** to wade through. Banter. Goddam banter.
Even if u leave the cylinder stock u have to elongate the cylinder bolt holes and clearance the sides of cylinder to sit flush on base and the bolts to mount up

The hybrid ported is a screaming son of a gun in the cut but not as much lean on torque as a 460 but thats just my opinion. Im trying a ported 440 to see if the torque is there
So if I read this statement correct..you're saying a ported hybrid isn't as strong (lean on torque) as a stock 460? So since I have a stock 046, I would be wasting my time putting together a stock cylinder hybrid? I mean...I'm still going to do for the "I did it all by myself" factor of having one...but I guess this means I won't whine and beg my good ol buddy @Deets066 to port it fir me for super cheap :surprised3:

So if I read this statement correct..you're saying a ported hybrid isn't as strong (lean on torque) as a stock 460? So since I have a stock 046, I would be wasting my time putting together a stock cylinder hybrid? I mean...I'm still going to do for the "I did it all by myself" factor of having one...but I guess this means I won't whine and beg my good ol buddy @Deets066 to port it fir me for super cheap :surprised3:
Sure you can![emoji481]

I guess all I want to know is...is it worth it to take the time to put one of these together and leave the cylinder stock? Has this question been answered? If so I'm sorry. The banter police haven't been here to clean this beotch up yet...and there's a lot of ******** to wade through. Banter. Goddam banter.

I think so....yes.

I dont think u will be disappointed either way

Unless your 046 is a first year saw (the early D chamber jugs) porting it will make a huge difference, they wake up big time.

The beauty of the hybrid is getting near ported 046/460 performance in the weight of a 044/440 (almost a pound less).

Some of the new 044/440 porting methods may result in performance that is very close to a hybrid. My 044 #2 pulls a 28" bar very nicely.

I'm very interested in Keith's results.

There's no replacement for displacement, period.

Even unported, the additional compressed volume has to add something.

Opening the jug so that the smaller case volume can make it to the top is likely why porting is even more advantageous in this type of build.

Anyone know the difference in case volume between a 12mm 044 and an 046?

The hybrid ported is a screaming son of a gun in the cut but not as much lean on torque as a 460 but thats just my opinion. Im trying a ported 440 to see if the torque is there
I think the lean on torque can be just as good in the hybrid with the right porting numbers.

Mine isn't really a screamer, I tune it around 14,500. I had it at 15,000 but I couldn't hear ANY four strokin. That said, I have a ported 046 and the hybrid. My hybrid has more "torque" than the ported 046, but this is solely based on the numbers I used in each saw. Exhaust is high and the intake is low on the 046 (snappy screamer)

Exhaust is low and intake is higher on the hybrid, which makes for a better long bar saw

I think the lean on torque can be just as good in the hybrid with the right porting numbers.

Mine isn't really a screamer, I tune it around 14,500. I had it at 15,000 but I couldn't hear ANY four strokin. That said, I have a ported 046 and the hybrid. My hybrid has more "torque" than the ported 046, but this is solely based on the numbers I used in each saw. Exhaust is high and the intake is low on the 046 (snappy screamer)

Exhaust is low and intake is higher on the hybrid, which makes for a better long bar saw
Ya my hybrid is opposite from yours but my 440 will follow your hybrid style

Back