Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me clarify myself alil on my project. In no way am I saying I dont like my hybrid as Ive only taken the cylinder and piston out to try more conservative #s on this oem almost new 440 cylinder and piston that was given to me. Deets 066 is right about a hybrid can be ported in a way for either torque, rpms, or both. Mine has been both ways but recently I went alil higher on the transfers and alil lower on the intake and as a result it added in cut rpm and lost alil torque for the ham fisted type cutter but is one fast saw in average firewood . I set the hybrid up to run my Cannon 22" bar in that size wood in which it does well as memeber Laslab has ran this hybrid and can tell u that its fast. Just playin around with the 440 to compare to the hybrid with 2 different styles of porting and I also left bridges out of the 440 but my hybrid has them

Would be a good thread to post videos of your hybrids. My interest is at 110%

Sent from my K00F using Tapatalk
Well I dont have my cylinder on now! Lol! Mine has the same attitude that Mdavlees does in the video but with alil more rpm in the cut with a less aggrressive chain than he was using. Ive been running 28" oregon round skip on my hybrid filed @25° with the gullets cleaned all the way to tie strap and rakers @ .022

So, how many pages of crap am I gonna have to filter through to watch this thing actually get built?
heck this here is lightweight, for the true dreck and smunge that will make you see people in a totally different light ya gotta peek at a thread or two in the politics and religion thread, I though it might be a good read but damn it is full of naked hate

Unless your 046 is a first year saw (the early D chamber jugs) porting it will make a huge difference, they wake up big time.
They run better because of the port timing, not so much the shape of the CC.

I think the lean on torque can be just as good in the hybrid with the right porting numbers.
I agree whole heartedly.

That's a great running saw.

Go to the 3:35 mark in the video above. That's with an 8-pin rim, pulling full comp chain on a buried 28" bar, in frozen hardwood, with a pretty heavy load.

I get the feeling that there's a perception that a saw that makes RPMs doesn't have torque. That doesn't have to be case. Forget the RPMs this saw tunes to and simply observe the power in the cut. It takes a lot of torque to maintain RPMs in the cut with a load like that. Don't over do it with the compression, get the port timing right, and your hybrid will be one of the most impressive saws you've ever ran.

Brad, I agree with you totally that it is the port timing & compression, but they were just better on the D jugs, it is not that a D shape is better, I understand that. (Like comparing a Hemi head to a wedge head).

Deets, how do you manage to run a 36" bar on an 044/440 frame? Did you modify the oiler? Saw looks good.

I got a 36" bar for my 460/046. It will not wear it all the time, but I have two Red Oaks lined up that will need it.

Back