I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time this ever happened to me.

I've got a nice ms290 listed on Craigslist HERE. Guy calls up and wants to check it out. Asks if we can meet at the church not far from here. I get there, he and his 'wife' look over the saw, start it up and then kill the engine.
He puts the saw down, tells me he's sorry to have bothered me while he (GET THIS) pulls out a detective badge!!!!

Turns out some things were stolen nearby including a 290. He, his lady friend and the 2 other cars in the lot were set to bust me for selling stolen property. Only problem is that the saw was not stolen and didn't match the serial they were looking for.
Anyway, they apologize a bunch and I have no hard feelings. I hope they get the SOB that stole the other saw.

I've got a nice ms290 listed on Craigslist HERE. Guy calls up and wants to check it out. Asks if we can meet at the church not far from here. I get there, he and his 'wife' look over the saw, start it up and then kill the engine.
He puts the saw down, tells me he's sorry to have bothered me while he (GET THIS) pulls out a detective badge!!!!

Turns out some things were stolen nearby including a 290. He, his lady friend and the 2 other cars in the lot were set to bust me for selling stolen property. Only problem is that the saw was not stolen and didn't match the serial they were looking for.
Anyway, they apologize a bunch and I have no hard feelings. I hope they get the SOB that stole the other saw.

Great Story!!!!!!! When you said "...pulls out a..." I was sure you were going to say a pistol. LOL That's one for the record book. Good to see the cops in your town are on the ball and hope the owner gets his saw back.

In my area of Houston you can consider a stolen saw as gone forever as far as the police are concerned, they have other more serious crimes with which to deal. The best thing to do after reporting the theft is go around to the local pawn shops yourelf.

A rare exception: One of my neighbors did get his stolen lawnmower back. A towtruck driver noticed a couple of guys in a pick-up loaded down with mowers parking at a cheap motel just off the Gulf Freeway. He radioed the police, who actually showed up at the motel and ran the serial numbers. The guys got arrested, & Bob got his mower back.

One local PS had a MS460 in good shape for a good price. After I looked at it for a second time they pulled it off the shelf, why I'm not sure, maybe to raise the price, maybe the person who hocked it promised to pay it off, or IMO to hide it. I get some strange looks at pawn shops, I guess I look like more like an undercover cop than a broke cheapskate looking for a bargain.

Back