Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it has been quiet........I just split the cases on my project 70E last night to replace the mains and seals...now have to get a new set of bearings and she is ready to go back together along with a NOS P&C kit!!! Already have everything but the bearings so it should go together quite quickly. After that I have a 66E that needs the same thing except it already has a new P&C kit. Plus three more 49SPs that have to go together. Just finished a 52E that I traded with a friend for two 80s (0ne being the very first Jonsereds, beside my brand new 49SP, I ever ran back in 1977) It's owner is no longer with us so I plan to totally restore this saw, new everything and fresh powder coat....the works!! This is in honour of this extreme big truck mechanic and woodsman....this along with the two vastly different 451s I 'm puting together will keep me rather busy til spring LOL!!:cheers:

Yes it has been quiet........I just split the cases on my project 70E last night to replace the mains and seals...now have to get a new set of bearings and she is ready to go back together along with a NOS P&C kit!!! Already have everything but the bearings so it should go together quite quickly. After that I have a 66E that needs the same thing except it already has a new P&C kit. Plus three more 49SPs that have to go together. Just finished a 52E that I traded with a friend for two 80s (0ne being the very first Jonsereds, beside my brand new 49SP, I ever ran back in 1977) It's owner is no longer with us so I plan to totally restore this saw, new everything and fresh powder coat....the works!! This is in honour of this extreme big truck mechanic and woodsman....this along with the two vastly different 451s I 'm puting together will keep me rather busy til spring LOL!!:cheers:

Robin, I hope your taking pictures on these builds! I like to see shiny new paint and decals.

I know I end up getting too involved with my work sometime to remember to pick the camera up now and then to snap a picture or two of the build ups.

At least try to let us see the finished project.

Holy *$#@, and I thought I had a backlog...sounds like fun and powder coat would be awesome.

I'll try guys...1554 posts and I haven't posted a single pic yet!! I guess I'm kinda camera shy...I know what you mean Mark...I too get so involved with the work I rarely even think of taking photos. This is a problem I am trying to overcome in my "real" work, building custom, one off cabinetry runs and custom stair cases built in the shop and installed on site as one unit. When prospective clients ask to see some of my work I have to scramble find a few photos to give them some idea of the work I do. It's a wonder I have made my living for the last 40 yrs doing this work and being such a pitiful self-promoter....Just another new trick an ol dog has to learn I guess...LOL!!! I'll see what I can do.:cheers:

Consider it done Ed. I finished up the 920 Super today and got a phone call on an old Jonsered. I figured a 49 or something small. It's a 1020.

I guess that would be nine in my personal stash.....but the really cool part is one of those will be my own personal 49SP that I bought new in 1977 and has not actually run (usefully) since, perhaps the mid to late ninties. It was suffering from a piston that was worn completely out and the crank went out of alignment (clutch wobble!!) and I had consigned it to the parts pile. However since joining this site and building a fair number of this kind of saws, there is no reason not to bring this saw back from the dead. After all it's the least I can do for a faithful old friend who put groceries on my table (in the winter months) and heat on my hearth from 1977-1985 and did log more hours than most of these saws ever got to see. This saw will not get "restored" but completely rebuilt, NOS crank, new bearings, seals, clutch etc. and used but in near perfect condition P&C from a doner saw. (Thanks again Joe25DA)

That's great to get an "old friend" back in working order. My 49SP count is at 5. I'll be running one of them today cutting up some tops, (along with a 2150 that's been fitted with a 2153 P&C). I don't know what it is about those 49's, but out of all my old saws, they're the ones I run the most. I really don't think of them as old saws I suppose. Good power, handle nice, got their own sound. Like we've said before; they were ahead of their time.

I guess that would be nine in my personal stash.....but the really cool part is one of those will be my own personal 49SP that I bought new in 1977 and has not actually run (usefully) since, perhaps the mid to late ninties. It was suffering from a piston that was worn completely out and the crank went out of alignment (clutch wobble!!) and I had consigned it to the parts pile. However since joining this site and building a fair number of this kind of saws, there is no reason not to bring this saw back from the dead. After all it's the least I can do for a faithful old friend who put groceries on my table (in the winter months) and heat on my hearth from 1977-1985 and did log more hours than most of these saws ever got to see. This saw will not get "restored" but completely rebuilt, NOS crank, new bearings, seals, clutch etc. and used but in near perfect condition P&C from a doner saw. (Thanks again Joe25DA)

Good choise to not "restore" an old friend! :clap::clap:

Yeah I know what you mean. My usual "go to" saw is a 49 I actually bought off ebay for $100.00 delivered with a new 18" .325 Husky B&C and this saw has never been apart. It just runs perfect, smooth, quiet and puls real good. Of course I like them all but this one is very nice. The other one I use a lot is one I built with a 52 two ring piston, points elimination module and a rather modded muffler. It runs a 15" .325 and is very quick for one of those. Rather unsung hero's and buy far the best built, smoothest Farmer/semi pro saw I've used. Just to bad the aftermarket hasn't come up with pistons for these as this is the most frequent issue I have found with 49SP. Of course a lot of failures are operator inspired...crowding a small saw beyond it cutting efficiency and burning them out.
My father taught me to use a hand saw when I was 6-7 yrs old (he was a boat builder). His lesson was: "Don't force the saw...let it do it's job...you are here to only move the saw back and fourth...if the saw is filed correctly it will follow the line by itself.....don't try to force it to the line" This lesson easily moves to chainsaws as well " you are there only to move the saw as required and let the saw do the cutting at it best speed...don't force the saw..work smarter not harder"

Yes Niko....I know every dig and scrape very well..."battle scars" It will have a new top handle to replace the one that got bent/squeezed in the winter of 79 by a twisting, falling maple....my rookie mistake...LOL!!

That is just a repair, so nothing wrong with that!

Nice catch on the 1020 Jerry, but I happen to know you are tight for space so I volunteer to help by taking one of the PM1000's off your hands.

Mark

Yeah both those saws turned out O.K. I'm missing the bar plates and clutch cover for one and put a D176 20 inch bar on the other. That 1020 sounds like it has had a hard life. right now it's in a box with pieces missing. I'm gonna try to get a look at it before the storm gets here.

A 49sp is the first saw I ever ran. My BIL bought it new and still has it. He used it for 3 years heating his house then set it on the shelf. He won't sell it. I have been wanting to add one to my line up but around here the guys that have the old Jonsereds just will not let them go. Seems like the only time I get offered one is when i don't have any spare cash.

A 49sp is the first saw I ever ran. My BIL bought it new and still has it. He used it for 3 years heating his house then set it on the shelf. He won't sell it. I have been wanting to add one to my line up but around here the guys that have the old Jonsereds just will not let them go. Seems like the only time I get offered one is when i don't have any spare cash.

Yeah it's kinda wierd......that's why I have six.....my precessiousssssss!!!!LOLOL!!

Help!

Hello guys, could somebody in the US do a favour for me in Australia? I have been chasing an air filter for my 535 and I finally found one on US eBay which goes off in about 15 hours. I can most likely buy it if I go to around $20.00 (less if I am lucky) but the dude is demanding $31.75 shipping and won’t budge. Shipping to me realistically would be around $6.75 from what I can see. In fact I just received the filter cover from a great bloke in Canada who charged me only $5.00 shipping.

What I would like to do is buy the air filter and have it sent to a member in the US who would then send it on to me. And I would reimburse that member’s shipping costs via Paypal. How about it –anyone brave enough?

I only have 2 Jonsereds as they are rare in Oz but I will slowly expand my collection. I really like my 920 Super and I have just finished rebuilding the 535 and need a filter before I can run it. The piston in it is a little scored & I cannot find a replacement. A pity as it seems to go really well.
Please PM me if you can help me with the air filter.

Here it is:
P1310620.jpg

And with it’s big brother.

P1310625.jpg

Al.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back