Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have it, I will send it along. I don't remember if I have the manual for the 490/590 right off the top of my head. I definitely have the IPL but I assume that you already have that.

Yes and ModifiedMark sent me the service manual for a PoulanPro 325 which is very close. It doesn't say anything about sealer in that one.

BB, based on the ones that I've dealt with, I suspect that the manifolds are attached with kind of adhesive. On one of my older Jonsered parts saws the manifold was removed, and there was some kind very hard residue on the manifold and the jug. I'm guessing that the factory wanted the manifold to stay attached to the jug.

BB, based on the ones that I've dealt with, I suspect that the manifolds are attached with kind of adhesive. On one of my older Jonsered parts saws the manifold was removed, and there was some kind very hard residue on the manifold and the jug. I'm guessing that the factory wanted the manifold to stay attached to the jug.

This is exactly why I asked the question, mine appears to have some very dark red/brown stuff on it and I was suspecting some sort of sealant. I had to pull the manifold to clean this thing up (it's a disaster) but want to make sure I seal it properly.

This is exactly why I asked the question, mine appears to have some very dark red/brown stuff on it and I was suspecting some sort of sealant. I had to pull the manifold to clean this thing up (it's a disaster) but want to make sure I seal it properly.

That's what I see. I scraped some of the sealant off the manifold, and it doesn't look like the plastic melted onto the jug, but I suppose it's possible. Hopefully PB will find some info in his Jonsered service manuals.

I'll look for the parts later, and try to post some photos.

On an offshoot, How would you go about plugging the intake and the pulse port so the rest of the saw can be cleaned up good?

Any advice?

Brian, I have the manual but no mention of a sealant or how to remove/install the manifold. PM me your email if you would like the manual. I will send it out this afternoon.

:cheers:

The oil holes correctly lined up on the plane; they were would have been over the oiler if the bar had more adjustment. The chain was initially too tight and the oil hole was behind the oiler opening (too close to the clutch). So I added a link then the damn chain was too long and when tensioned the oiler hole was on the other side (close to the muffler) still not oiling. Like I said, I think it has more to do with the chain, sprocket, bar combination than anything else. I don't know what it is about GB bars but it seems that I always have to add or subtract a link from the DL count of the bar.

It's probably just me. :)

I understand it now, and don't think it is just you - sounds more like it is the manufacturer of that bar and/or the size of the sprocket that creates an odd problem!

I understand it now, and don't think it is just you - sounds more like it is the manufacturer of that bar and/or the size of the sprocket that creates an odd problem!

The 910 has an 8 pin sprocket like most old Jreds. That probably didn't help anything. I have 2 GB in the D009 mount and the one I modified (branded John Deere) barely worked on my 630 before modifying. The second works fine so I don't know if the John Deere bar was modified before I got it or what but it is a pain. I also have a GB (John Deere again) bar for the large JRed mount that works but I had to add 2 drive links to get it to work. I am sure if I investigated it further I could come up with a solution, either a 7-pin or some type of bar spacer.

I know of no JD saws that use a 009 mount. Maybe at one time someone swapped your studs on the 630, so the D196 mount would swap up nicely there. Deere/Echos used either the 176 or 196 mounts, and the big Efco made Deeres also use the 196. Clear as mud, right. Back too Jonseruds.

Judged on the Oregon and Husky bars I have, the oiler holes are in the exact same position on the D024 and the D009 ones. It is only the slots that are different.

Judged on the Oregon and Husky bars I have, the oiler holes are in the exact same position on the D024 and the D009 ones. It is only the slots that are different.

I don't agree, see attached from Oregon tech support.

Hmmm, I will take a look at the bar I have at home. It wouldn't shock me if the catalog scan is wrong because they have fed me the wrong info a couple times.

I know of no JD saws that use a 009 mount. Maybe at one time someone swapped your studs on the 630, so the D196 mount would swap up nicely there. Deere/Echos used either the 176 or 196 mounts, and the big Efco made Deeres also use the 196. Clear as mud, right. Back too Jonseruds.

That would probably explain how i got it at such a great price from a closeout company in NH. :) Someone posted a link to a Clist ad about a year ago that had large quantities of JD branded bars...cheap.

I bought 3 brand new JD branded GB bars for around $40 shipped to my door.

That illustration of the D009 is obviously flawed - and "don't agree" is the wrong term when I tell about actual observations from bars I have.......

If they were the same, they'd be the same. They're not, thats why they are different. Most any bar can be "made" to fit, they make them different so we don't have to "make" them fit. 024 bars are rare birds now, would be most likely NOS, most likely not labeled as such, so they would have a confusing part number. Now you get another bar (D176), and file the slot to fit. Easy to do, harder to perfect.

Thread has been quite, I don't have the Johnny 590 ready or I would put up some pics.

Latest posts

Back