Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saws for parts

Hello,I am new to the site. I recently cleaned out a relatives garage and came across two old saws.One is a model 361 (looks like an old olympic or skil).The saws seems locked up.I didn't bother checking things out.I don't have a use for them or the time to play around.The other saw is a 49SP.The starter is slipping but it does move.Would they be of any value or use to one of you guys?

Jonsered 590 Blocked

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, here is my attempt to block the 590 off for cleaning...:dunno:

It's just a tank vent. It's fine if you can move them around, won't hurt anything.

Hey Ed,

Were do those two brass lines go? Into the crank area? I am sort of confused here. The pulse port is a hole next to the intake comes up through the carb mount/manifold thing I get that. The two brass lines come up out of what appears to be the crank case? Can't see either one through the fuel fill hole which makes sense I guess.

I just don't get where they go and what they do.

Confused,

Brian

It's a small area isolated from the crankcase and fuel tank. If you ask me, it's a strange complicated way to vent a tank. I'll go out to the shop and snap a pic.

It's a small area isolated from the crankcase and fuel tank. If you ask me, it's a strange complicated way to vent a tank. I'll go out to the shop and snap a pic.

That would be great! Thank You!

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

The long tube goes into the tiny space between the tank and crankcase. It's completely isolated.

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

The long tube goes into the tiny space between the tank and crankcase. It's completely isolated.

This is great. It looks like I can fish that rubber piece out from under the intake if I pull the brass tubes out. Sound like a plan?

That would work. I'd try to clean off most of the gunk around it first, before removing anything.

brian, I've wondered the same thing about that vent setup on my 590, my 490 doesn't have this style of vent even though its almost identical in most other aspects. Does your 590 have the exhaust heated handles?

brian, I've wondered the same thing about that vent setup on my 590, my 490 doesn't have this style of vent even though its almost identical in most other aspects. Does your 590 have the exhaust heated handles?

No but given the temps around here lately it would be nice! :cheers:

Maybe that is why the venting is so complicated, to keep the fumes away from the heated handles.

Maybe that is why the venting is so complicated, to keep the fumes away from the heated handles.

That's a good thought. The saw is complicated in other ways too. The handles for example form sort of a roll cage with anti-vibe but they made one out of plastic so it seems sort of silly.

That's a good thought. The saw is complicated in other ways too. The handles for example form sort of a roll cage with anti-vibe but they made one out of plastic so it seems sort of silly.

I was going to add that it was cause it was an Electrolux design, but was unsure.

I was going to add that it was cause it was an Electrolux design, but was unsure.

Another odd thing is my dad has a 535 and they look so very similar until you examine them closely. The lower part of the rear handle on the 590 is actually part of the case halves and on the 535 it is a seperate plastic piece. And apparently the Partner 5000, 500 and PoulanPro 325 are all nearly the same things. It's like they had a whole bunch of models coming out of the same molds and tooling at once.

Another odd thing is my dad has a 535 and they look so very similar until you examine them closely. The lower part of the rear handle on the 590 is actually part of the case halves and on the 535 it is a seperate plastic piece. And apparently the Partner 5000, 500 and PoulanPro 325 are all nearly the same things. It's like they had a whole bunch of models coming out of the same molds and tooling at once.

Well, not at once but I can believe that same tooling. When JD finally switched over to the "modern" tractors (the two-cylinder design had more in common with most race cars of the era than you might think), some of the tooling they were using was close to 35 years old. It wasn't scrapped; it went to Brazil and made the same products there. And that has happened more times than we know about, with other things, and I imagine chainsaws.

Well, not at once but I can believe that same tooling. When JD finally switched over to the "modern" tractors (the two-cylinder design had more in common with most race cars of the era than you might think), some of the tooling they were using was close to 35 years old. It wasn't scrapped; it went to Brazil and made the same products there. And that has happened more times than we know about, with other things, and I imagine chainsaws.

True, on of my previous managers had a "brand new" VW bug from Mexico stamped out of all the old tooling. When I was in Mexico city I saw "New" bugs on a show room floor but they were 20 year old design.

590 Vent

attachment.php

Ed, I pulled those brass tubes and was able to fish that rubber thing right out. Now I can clean it even better. Thanks :cheers:

Brian

ok guys will a 820 piston work with a 801 both are 52mm or wood the porting be different
larry

Back