Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonsred 2186 info

anyone have info on this saw? years made is it a e-lux model or does husky have a matching saw ,same size etc. thanks for any help

Jonsered Saw ID

Found this at a local dealer and he made a copy of it for me but the copy was quite poor so I reformatted it. It came from Tilton dated 6/97.

Jonsered Identification of Saw Models

Since 1985-86 Model numbers appear on the Serial Number Plate attached to the saw. By using that letter and the information below, many older saws can be identified.
The Identification Letter may also be found on the main crankcase casting above the fuel filler cap or inside the starter housing, chip cover or other major castings.

K- How many piston rings- one---Model 70E
two--- Model 66E

L- Model 601

M- Model 751

N- Model 621

P- Top Cover Color- Silver—Model 80
Black- Model 801
Black w/ Compression Release Button- Model 90

S- Air Cover Secured w/ 1 screw- Model 111S
w/ 2 screws- Model 110

T- Top Cover Color- Red- Model 49SP
Silver- Model 50
Black- No oiler Adj. Screw on Bottom- Model 51
W/ oiler Adj. Screw on Bottom- Model 52
W/ oiler Adj Screw on Bottom and toggle
switch above fuel cap- model 521E

Z- Is Rear Handle and carb box integrated into one casting? Yes -Model 45E
No- Model 451E

Regards, 2stroker

Ok. Another question for you guys that are much more knowledgable about these Jreds than I'll ever be...

Got a new bar for my 630 and the slot is just a wee bit too tight to fit over the bar studs. The problem is a little "S" shaped clip that's wrapped around the studs. Its removable, but without it there's about a 1mm gap between the stud and slot. Is it acceptable to run it this way? I'm guessing not even with the bar nuts tight. Probably should just dremel the bar slot a bit. Just curious if the "S" clip was factory or maybe supplied with the Sandvik .058 bar that was on it?
Here's a pic of the clip on the studs...
0219111142.jpg

You have perhaps forgotten the International Jonsereds Heritage Agreement that was authored by Taplinhill and adopted by all of us.

The 820, despite the fact that it was manufactured after the electrolux takeover, is indeed a "true" Jonsereds in that there was no corresponding Husky model. The entire 820/920/830/930 saw family are Jonsered only.

The 910 from which this model family evolved was introduced before the Elux takeover, and is therefore considered a pure Jonsered, as are all pre-elux models such as 621's, 49SP's etc.

Jonsered models that have a directly corresponding Husky model, such as the 2171 are considered shared product.

(Thought you got me, didn't you?):cheers:

LOL, I still maintain that the are a difference between a pure Jonsered and a (just) true one.

Imo, the Partner handle system on the 820/920/830/930 excludes them from the pure ones, but they still are true ones (not shared models). Splitting hairs can be fun some times, and in this case it even can be done in different ways......;) :laugh::laugh:

The expression "E-lux Jonsered" is very imprecise (includes both true and shared models), so I shouldn't really have used it - that was a mistake (sort of).

Last edited:
Found this at a local dealer and he made a copy of it for me but the copy was quite poor so I reformatted it. It came from Tilton dated 6/97.

Jonsered Identification of Saw Models

Since 1985-86 Model numbers appear on the Serial Number Plate attached to the saw. By using that letter and the information below, many older saws can be identified.
The Identification Letter may also be found on the main crankcase casting above the fuel filler cap or inside the starter housing, chip cover or other major castings.

K- How many piston rings- one---Model 70E
two--- Model 66E

L- Model 601

M- Model 751

N- Model 621

P- Top Cover Color- Silver—Model 80
Black- Model 801
Black w/ Compression Release Button- Model 90

S- Air Cover Secured w/ 1 screw- Model 111S
w/ 2 screws- Model 110

T- Top Cover Color- Red- Model 49SP
Silver- Model 50
Black- No oiler Adj. Screw on Bottom- Model 51
W/ oiler Adj. Screw on Bottom- Model 52
W/ oiler Adj Screw on Bottom and toggle
switch above fuel cap- model 521E

Z- Is Rear Handle and carb box integrated into one casting? Yes -Model 45E
No- Model 451E

Regards, 2stroker

Good write-up, I wasn't aware of the T, Z and K codes! :msp_thumbup:

Here is the PDF of the Tilton "matrix" that spike60 gave me.

Saved that one, thanks to you and Spike! :cheers:

A small question, I assume the 60, 75 and 62 have the same letters as the 601, 751 and 621, but how about the 70 (not 70E). Did that model really exist at all?

The 81 also is left out, but that is no surprice since the info is from Tilton!

Last edited:
Saved that one, thanks to you and Spike! :cheers:

A small question, I assume the 60 and 62 have the same letters as the 601 and 621, but how about the 70 (not 70E). Did that model really exist at all?

I'm not sure when the lettering system started, but I had two 751's and one had the letters and the other did not. So, the 60 (not sure about the 62) may not have had letters. As for the 70, if it did exist, I don't think it was imported by Tilton, and that is where the "matrix" came from.

Imo, the Partner handle system on the 820/920/830/930 excludes them from the pure ones, but they still are true ones (not shared models). Splitting hairs can be fun some times, and in this case it even can be done in different ways......;) :laugh::laugh:

I am in agreement with you on this, Niko. One can't discount the effect that this handle design had on this type of saw. That was the worst part of the 910E!

I am in agreement with you on this, Niko. One can't discount the effect that this handle design had on this type of saw. That was the worst part of the 910E!

The story is that Husky (as "leading" E-lux brand at the time) didn't approve of the 910 as it was, and that resulted in the 920/820. This is just a story I have been told on a Collectors site, not nescessarily the truth......:msp_biggrin:

Part of the same story was also that Jonsereds had a 100cc version of the 910 in the works, but they were forced to accept the Partner P100 Super as the 1020. You can even see yellow paint under the red one on at least some of those. That part of the story is no doubt true!

Last edited:
The story is that Husky (as "leading" E-lux brand at the time) didn't approve of the 910 as it was, and that resulted in the 920/820. This is just a story I have been told on a Collectors site, not nescessarily the truth......:msp_biggrin:

Part of the same story was also that Jonsereds had a 100cc version of the 910 in the works, but they were forced to accept the Partner P100 Super as the 1020. You can even see yellow paint under the red one on at least some of those. That part of the story is no doubt true!

I believe it all as the handle is terribly weak on my 910's. I hope to make one work from the three I have and even then, I don't know how long they will last. That was a GREAT change, but in doing so, it stopped being a PURE Jonsereds. Interesting about the upsized 910. If they would have kept the same style handle, then it is better that they went to the 1020. At least they got the better setup for a handle.

I had been wanting a Jonsered for quite some time and finally picked a 2171 up from mdavlee. Got to give it a run at the Grantsburg races this weekend and walked away with first place.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n6zdFQfO7yE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n6zdFQfO7yE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Ok, experts... Is this considered a true Jonsered? I can't believe the details you guys know!
0214111654.jpg

0214111655.jpg

0214111653.jpg

Just had to add some pics of this little runner. Give me your opinions, good or bad...I was impressed at how it handles and runs compared to my 346xp for its age. Not the same revver though!

Nice looking saw. I'm new to the Jonsereds myself, so I can't answer any of your questions. Everybody else here are experts on them though. I only own one, a 590. It's not really considered a true Jonsered, as it's a Partner. Yours has similar Partner features.

Sorry, forgot that detail! Its a 520sp. What does that sp stand for? Guessing someone knows...

SP stands for Semi Pro......that's a nice looking 520. Never cared for the 490 or any of the 5XX saws. Though I must conceed the 490 was the best of the worst. It's not the SP designation that I don't like as the 49 SP was/is about my most favorite saw of all time. The 49SP, 50, 51, 52/52E, 521E, were all 49cc old school "pure" (as Niko would say) Jonsereds. The 490, 510, 520, 535 etc and whatever other variants of these saws were 49cc as well. But they came at the last gasp of the old company were very poor excuses indeed...(compared to the earlier 49 through 52 series) Of course this just my opinion......but when these saws came out Jonsereds was the saw to have in my area.......every firewood guy and pulp cutter/logger used them. A lot of 49-52s, a pile of 621s (cadillac of the day), 70Es and 80s ruled. This series of saw completely trashed the brand. All the wood cutters bought the "newest" series thinking they would be even better than the old.....much disappointment and many burnt up saws..dealers couldn't keep them running and either stopped selling the brand or went out of business altogether.
Guys around here look at my collection of Jonsereds and say "HMMMM Jonsered.... they don't make those anymore??? Do they??" They are gone from the market. Everyone divided themselve between Stihl and Husky pretty much though I believe the later offerings are great (like the 2171, 2188 etc) no one here has ever heard of them.

I blame poor performance from Tilton and these saws for this situation. Sorry you wanted opinions good and bad.....but in reality, if it runs good and you like it have fun and enjoy.:cheers:

Probably a good enough saw to have and use a little but in my opinion the SP designation is even to generous.

Latest posts

Back