Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonsereds and Partner both were bought by E-lux at about the same time, along with Husky. As far as I know Husky was the first brand they bought.
I don't know exactly when they bought Poulan, JoBu, Pioneer, MacC. Europe and more.....

Without looking it up and I have a hard time remembering dates like this I think they bought Poulan just before Pioneer and I think it was 84 for Pioneer.

What was the date for Husky, Partner and Jred?

Without looking it up and I have a hard time remembering dates like this I think they bought Poulan just before Pioneer and I think it was 84 for Pioneer.

I don't know about the rest, but I believe Jonsered was aquired in '82 or '83. It was for sure in '83 but it might have been earlier.

I agree that most of the 44cc and 49cc saws that followed the 49/52 were undoubtedly a huge letdown. The two exceptions would be the two Partner based models, the 490 and 590. They are well built and good runners. The rest of those small saws are kind of lame. I have a 450 and 455, which are almost the same thing. They are light and have good power for 44cc, but they just have a cheap kind of feel about them. I suppose that an indication of how much of a mess this all was is the number of models that came out in a relatively short time: 510/520/450/455/525/535. There was only so much that could be done with that chassis, and they brought in the Partners to try and turn things around.

We Jonny fans sometimes sound as if we feel that Elux/Husky came along and gobbled them up and ruined the purity of Jonsered. The reality is that if those small saws were an indication of things to come from Jonsered, then Elux saved their behinds and brought them back from the brink of going under. The 630 and 670 were decent replacements for the 621 and 70E, but what would have been Jonsered's replacement if they were still an independent company? Would they have been designed by the same folks that did the small saws?

Nice post Spike, straight and true as far as I can tell.

Around 1977-79, as far as I know, but I have no exact info (never really looked for it). They pointed at Husky as their "lead" brand from the beginning, despite they hadn't really made the best saws up to then - but then there was the 162se, that resulted in many later Husky and Jred model......

Around 1977-79, as far as I know, but I have no exact info (never really looked for it). They pointed at Husky as their "lead" brand from the beginning, despite they hadn't really made the best saws up to then - but then there was the 162se, that resulted in many later Husky and Jred model......

I would say that is probably about right, as like I said I thought Poulan was just after them and just before Pioneer.

I know I knew most of the dates before, but I guess I need to start writing stuff down.

I would say that is probably about right, as like I said I thought Poulan was just after them and just before Pioneer.

I know I knew most of the dates before, but I guess I need to start writing stuff down.

I believe that is correct as well, but again - no real evidence!

590 Flywheel Lock

How does the "flywheel lock" work? You are supposed to put something in that hole but doesn't that mean that holes goes into the crank area? Has anyone seen the tool?

attachment.php

Its time to wake this thread up again. Made a nice haul today and aquired some older Jonsereds I thought were interesting. Gonna be a nice addition to my collection of Jonsereds. I think I have 4 now:laugh:
Here they are uncleaned:
000_0001-4.jpg

000_0002-3.jpg

70e
000_0003-3.jpg

000_0004-3.jpg

Its time to wake this thread up again. Made a nice haul today and aquired some older Jonsereds I thought were interesting. Gonna be a nice addition to my collection of Jonsereds. I think I have 4 now:laugh:
Here they are uncleaned:
000_0001-4.jpg

000_0002-3.jpg

70e
000_0003-3.jpg

000_0004-3.jpg

My first impression tells me 70E, 49SP and 601, but it went a bit fast......:msp_biggrin:

My first impression tells me 70E, 49SP and 601, but it went a bit fast......:msp_biggrin:

Im not a 100% sure the 70e is a 70e. The service tag on it said it was but I didnt find any numbers on the saw yet. The other 2 have the models written on them!!

LB.........the first is an 801 so you are right.......but only on that one.. number two is a 49SP..........NOT 70E....you have no 70Es...number three is definately NOT a 621.... as Niko said......601, which similar to the 621 but an earlier version, without AV...Sorry.

But on the good side is they are all good and look complete...Good score!!!

Dang!!! You guys are good. I had to go build a shelf to put these on and the one is a 601. Dont know why I said 621....I do have 1 in pieces I guess. Yeah I thought it was funny the "70e" was smaller than the 601.:msp_wink: Now I know why!

52 or 52E most likely...early..... probably not an E but a points unit. But could be an E......hard to tell without seeing the coil. (or the sticker)

Thanks Cantdog! I think Im getting the Jonsereds bug. I like the chrome recoil. Kinda like some homelites:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back