Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking saw. I'm new to the Jonsereds myself, so I can't answer any of your questions. Everybody else here are experts on them though. I only own one, a 590. It's not really considered a true Jonsered, as it's a Partner. Yours has similar Partner features.

I would call that one a shared model, as you indicated.

The 520 I consider a true one, but not a pure one.

SP stands for Semi Pro......that's a nice looking 520. Never cared for the 490 or any of the 5XX saws. Though I must conceed the 490 was the best of the worst. It's not the SP designation that I don't like as the 49 SP was/is about my most favorite saw of all time. The 49SP, 50, 51, 52/52E, 521E, were all 49cc old school "pure" (as Niko would say) Jonsereds. The 490, 510, 520, 535 etc and whatever other variants of these saws were 49cc as well. But they came at the last gasp of the old company were very poor excuses indeed...(compared to the earlier 49 through 52 series) Of course this just my opinion......but when these saws came out Jonsereds was the saw to have in my area.......every firewood guy and pulp cutter/logger used them. A lot of 49-52s, a pile of 621s (cadillac of the day), 70Es and 80s ruled. This series of saw completely trashed the brand. All the wood cutters bought the "newest" series thinking they would be even better than the old.....much disappointment and many burnt up saws..dealers couldn't keep them running and either stopped selling the brand or went out of business altogether.
Guys around here look at my collection of Jonsereds and say "HMMMM Jonsered.... they don't make those anymore??? Do they??" They are gone from the market. Everyone divided themselve between Stihl and Husky pretty much though I believe the later offerings are great (like the 2171, 2188 etc) no one here has ever heard of them.

I blame poor performance from Tilton and these saws for this situation. Sorry you wanted opinions good and bad.....but in reality, if it runs good and you like it have fun and enjoy.:cheers:

Probably a good enough saw to have and use a little but in my opinion the SP designation is even to generous.

I agree that most of the 44cc and 49cc saws that followed the 49/52 were undoubtedly a huge letdown. The two exceptions would be the two Partner based models, the 490 and 590. They are well built and good runners. The rest of those small saws are kind of lame. I have a 450 and 455, which are almost the same thing. They are light and have good power for 44cc, but they just have a cheap kind of feel about them. I suppose that an indication of how much of a mess this all was is the number of models that came out in a relatively short time: 510/520/450/455/525/535. There was only so much that could be done with that chassis, and they brought in the Partners to try and turn things around.

We Jonny fans sometimes sound as if we feel that Elux/Husky came along and gobbled them up and ruined the purity of Jonsered. The reality is that if those small saws were an indication of things to come from Jonsered, then Elux saved their behinds and brought them back from the brink of going under. The 630 and 670 were decent replacements for the 621 and 70E, but what would have been Jonsered's replacement if they were still an independent company? Would they have been designed by the same folks that did the small saws?

It seems to me that Jonsered, prior to the Partner purchase, was using designs that were becoming very dated, at least asthetically speaking (this blasphemous & sacreligious :D statement is based on general observations).

Yes you're right Bob.....Jonsereds had already gone heels up by the time they tried to introduce these crappy saws. And who knows what they would have come out with next. Probably would have not been pretty....I still have no idea what got them in this situation. The older saws were very well built and though there were many models they shared a enormous amount of common parts making them easy to work on and seemingly efficient and cost effective to manufacture and they had a good reputation.??????????!!!!

They undoubtedly needed Husky to give them the foundation for the 625, 630, and 670......that and the Elux. cash to get back on their feet.

Is a 910E a cool saw or a not desirable?[/QUO

I would say if you could find one in good running condition it would be good to have. PB brought one down a yr or two ago along with an number of other large Jonsereds...80s, 90s, 820, 930 etc. and the 910 was the strongest, fastest one of the bunch.....I liked it quite well......well enough that if I could aquire one at a reasonable price I would. I don't know much about them other than they are kind of a "lone wolf" and don't share many parts with other Jreds as most of the other models do. This makes them a bit more tough to find parts for.

Is a 910E a cool saw or a not desirable?[/QUO

I would say if you could find one in good running condition it would be good to have. PB brought one down a yr or two ago along with an number of other large Jonsereds...80s, 90s, 820, 930 etc. and the 910 was the strongest, fastest one of the bunch.....I liked it quite well......well enough that if I could aquire one at a reasonable price I would. I don't know much about them other than they are kind of a "lone wolf" and don't share many parts with other Jreds as most of the other models do. This makes them a bit more tough to find parts for.

Well that answers my ? there is one on Feebay with a scored piston but it has full wrap and the cool looking air filter setup.

I have tried searching to no avail so can someone tell me the pros, cons and the value of a 49 SP?

I can tell you the value of the one that left the stable today, pictured earlier here, that was $250. Cons? No longer being produced, but parts are plentiful, and a good one will be treasured. But I sold mine, having not a lot of attachment to it, and having to thin the herd some. Its hard to regret it though, for that price.

I can tell you the value of the one that left the stable today, pictured earlier here, that was $250. Cons? No longer being produced, but parts are plentiful, and a good one will be treasured. But I sold mine, having not a lot of attachment to it, and having to thin the herd some. Its hard to regret it though, for that price.

Well Jeff, just cause I like you so well, I'll send you a replacement for $249. :msp_thumbsup:

I can tell you the value of the one that left the stable today, pictured earlier here, that was $250. Cons? No longer being produced, but parts are plentiful, and a good one will be treasured. But I sold mine, having not a lot of attachment to it, and having to thin the herd some. Its hard to regret it though, for that price.[/QUO

WOW!!! That is a good price (for you I mean!!).....Good ones (running. nice paint etc.) can be had for half that....!!!! On E bay even!!!

Mark.......$249.00 is exactly what I paid for my first and only new saw..well... plus tax. 49SP brandy new with a tool kit and manual. April 1977.:cheers:

Just got home from the late shift and got a chance to read some really informative replies. Good stuff! Just from the two Jreds I have I can see where the opinions are coming from... My 630 just seems like a much more solid saw than my 520sp as it runs right with my 361 and definately has more refined feel. I can't comment on the dependability like you guys because I haven't run them both enough. The 520sp runs good but hasn't seen near the use of the 630 from the condition of them though. I will have to (respectfully!:hmm3grin2orange:) disagree with you Spike that the 520 should earn its label as a "semi pro" saw just for its anti-vibe alone. The lone non-pro saw I have in the less than 10 yr old craftsman buzzes so bad in my hands that I go to bed at night with the tingles after running it for less than an hour! (It does fill its role as the loaner saw quite nicely though!)

I agree that most of the 44cc and 49cc saws that followed the 49/52 were undoubtedly a huge letdown. The two exceptions would be the two Partner based models, the 490 and 590. They are well built and good runners. The rest of those small saws are kind of lame. I have a 450 and 455, which are almost the same thing. They are light and have good power for 44cc, but they just have a cheap kind of feel about them. I suppose that an indication of how much of a mess this all was is the number of models that came out in a relatively short time: 510/520/450/455/525/535. There was only so much that could be done with that chassis, and they brought in the Partners to try and turn things around.

We Jonny fans sometimes sound as if we feel that Elux/Husky came along and gobbled them up and ruined the purity of Jonsered. The reality is that if those small saws were an indication of things to come from Jonsered, then Elux saved their behinds and brought them back from the brink of going under. The 630 and 670 were decent replacements for the 621 and 70E, but what would have been Jonsered's replacement if they were still an independent company? Would they have been designed by the same folks that did the small saws?

Yes, some of the "bad" designs must have been in in works before E-lux bought Jonsereds, and on the small saws, as you said! :msp_thumbup:

It seems to me that Jonsered, prior to the Partner purchase, was using designs that were becoming very dated, at least asthetically speaking (this blasphemous & sacreligious :D statement is based on general observations).

Jonsereds and Partner both were bought by E-lux at about the same time, along with Husky. As far as I know Husky was the first brand they bought.
I don't know exactly when they bought Poulan, JoBu, Pioneer, MacC. Europe and more.....

Jonsereds and Partner both were bought by E-lux at about the same time, along with Husky. As far as I know Husky was the first brand they bought.
I don't know exactly when they bought Poulan, JoBu, Pioneer, MacC. Europe and more.....

Basically my point is at one point the Jonsered models were looking very dated when compared to what other manufactorers were offering. Maybe the Partner influenced designs were a good thing for Jonsered :msp_unsure:?

Basically my point is at one point the Jonsered models were looking very dated when compared to what other manufactorers were offering. Maybe the Partner influenced designs were a good thing for Jonsered :msp_unsure:?

The evidence indicates that it was! :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back