Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best thing about these saws is they dont feel like they have a ton of compression until you pull out the guage and it says 180. At least thats how my 801 is!

I would disagree with that statement....if you happen to catch it on the wrong part of the stroke, it will try to rip your arm off. I don't care...it's a constant reminder that I still have great compression. I think I put a compression gauge on it last fall...it was around 200lbs. I have OE rings for it somewhere, but why bother?

Kevin

Nope, no restoration on that saw! Been in my family since new, and hasn't seen much use. The only thing new to it is a fuel line and the b/c. I love to give it a workout from time to time, and if it has less than 200 lbs compression, I'd be surprised. Not too bad to start though, once you learn the tricks, as Cantdog stated.

Hmmmm....because looking at the pic, it looks like you touched up the red. Awesome it's a one family saw....even mine had one owner before me and it was my first Jonsereds experience.

I tore into the point last fall just to see if it needed replacing. It all was sealed and looked virtually new and that's since about '80!

You've got the spark plug cover and hand protector....the spark plug cover is good engineering because the boot will take lots of abrasion without it. I have a full wrap, so the hand protector is useless. Every chain I ever had come off on the job, the full wrap handle took all the abuse, regardless of the saw brand.

The bottom handle on these saws came in either metal or plastic. I replaced my metal with a plastic OE piece, because my handle had a screw hole piece broken.

Kevin

My 80 has a compression release. If it had a couple thousand RPM more I think it would cut with my 066. A very impressive saw.

The 80 was never made with a decomp......but many were added (at the owners request!!) by shops as an "aftermarket" solution. There may be another reason your "80" might have a decomp though....quite a few "80s" were upgraded to the "90" top end which did come with the factory decomp and was a direct boltup...like a big bore kit. The only special work was to cut a hole in the 80 engine cover for the decomp....or get 90 or 801 top cover/air filtration system too. 80 was 52MM bore and the 90 was 54MM bore...might be worth checking if don't know your saws history for sure...

The 80 was never made with a decomp......but many were added (at the owners request!!) by shops as an "aftermarket" solution. There may be another reason your "80" might have a decomp though....quite a few "80s" were upgraded to the "90" top end which did come with the factory decomp and was a direct boltup...like a big bore kit. The only special work was to cut a hole in the 80 engine cover for the decomp....or get 90 or 801 top cover/air filtration system too. 80 was 52MM bore and the 90 was 54MM bore...might be worth checking if don't know your saws history for sure...

I never saw a 80 with factory decomp. But then I'm not an authority on the model run and changes over the yrs (if any). For that matter, I've only seen the 80 and 90 with the metal, silver tops. I've seen pics of the 90 with the plastic top that looks very much shared with the 801 in production. Part of the appeal of the saws (to me anyway) are the old-school silver tops.

It just depends on what you get used to...my main logging saw was always the Husky 2100 and it had an all plastic top and airbox cover......something you come to expect on that saw.

Kevin

Last edited:
I never saw a 80 with factory decomp. But then I'm not an authority on the model run and changes over the yrs (if any). For that matter, I've only seen the 80 and 90 with the metal, silver tops. I've seen pics of the 90 with the plastic top that looks very much shared with the 801 in production. Part of the appeal of the saws (to me anyway) are the old-school silver tops.

It just depends on what you get used to...my main logging saw was always the Husky 2100 and it had an all plastic top and airbox cover......something you come to expect on that saw.

Kevin

The 80 and 801 never had a factory decompression button, but the 90 did. Of the 3 saws, only the 80 had a silver top cover with the round air filter, similar to the 621. THe 801 and 90 had black metal top covers and louvered air filter covers. The only difference between the 801 and 90 is the piston and cylinder. Holes for the decomp were plugged in the 801 top cover but it could be removed if you installed a 90 top end.

:cheers:

The 80 and 801 never had a factory decompression button, but the 90 did. Of the 3 saws, only the 80 had a silver top cover with the round air filter, similar to the 621. THe 801 and 90 had black metal top covers and louvered air filter covers. The only difference between the 801 and 90 is the piston and cylinder. Holes for the decomp were plugged in the 801 top cover but it could be removed if you installed a 90 top end.

:cheers:

Not to argue, but I've seen one working 90 with a silver top and two for sale with silver tops. It's unlikely they were all tops robbed from 801's. Perhaps they were early production models?

Kevin

Not to argue, but I've seen one working 90 with a silver top and two for sale with silver tops. It's unlikely they were all tops robbed from 801's. Perhaps they were early production models?

Kevin

90's never came from the factory with a silver top. The saw you seen could have had a dealer installed decomp or a different cover installed. The only way to know for sure is to check the numbers on the cylinder for bore size.

90's never came from the factory with a silver top. The saw you seen could have had a dealer installed decomp or a different cover installed. The only way to know for sure is to check the numbers on the cylinder for bore size.

That doesn't make sense; three 90's I saw all had the metal silver tops. It's highly unlikely that all the 90 saws had broken 90/801 plastic tops and substitute 80 metal top donors were used. I would think it possible for one, but not three from varying parts of the US.

Kevin

Don't know what to tell ya bud....PB is 100% correct and that is the same thing I said earlier. 801 and 90 tops were black from the factory and totally different from the silver 80 tops as they had a much more modern air filtration system. And just for the record NONE of these saws, not the 80, 801 or 90 ever came with plastic tops...not ever...not even once...

You may well have an silver top, round air filtered 80 Jonsereds with a later added decomp or a silver top round air filtered 80 with a 90 top end on it but if it came with the round filter It's an 80 top...if it has the square removable air filter end then that's either an 801 top or a 90 top..no difference at all between the two and no matter what color they may be now they came from the factory black. That's just history....

Why don't you post up a pic or two and we can verify just what it is. Except you may still need to pull the muffer and measure your bore to tell if it's an 80/801 P&C or an 90 P&C. Or pull the recoil and read the numbers from the cyl base.

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell ya bud....PB is 100% correct and that is the same thing I said earlier. 801 and 90 tops were black from the factory and totally different from the silver 80 tops as they had a much more modern air filtration system. And just for the record NONE of these saws, not the 80, 801 or 90 ever came with plastic tops...not ever...not even once...

You may well have an silver top, round air filtered 80 Jonsereds with a later added decomp or a silver top round air filtered 80 with a 90 top end on it but if it came with the round filter It's an 80 top...if it has the square removable air filter end then that's either an 801 top or a 90 top..no difference at all between the two and no matter what color they may be now they came from the factory black. That's just history....

Why don't you post up a pic or two and we can verify just what it is. Except you may still need to pull the muffer and measure your bore to tell if it's an 80/801 P&C or an 90 P&C. Or pull the recoil and read the numbers from the cyl base.

fore sure metal tops the coil is mounted in the top and needs to be grounded to the points or the rest of the case my 801 dont run to well with the top lose need new screws in it

You're not reading my post accurately, dude. I said I own an 80 with a silver metal top-no argument there because that's the way they came. I made no claim I had a 90, but that I wanted one. What I stated is that I've seen THREE silver metal top 90's; one working along side me when I was still logging and two for sale. Now the owners of the two for sale could have had 80's and were confused/lying, but the logger working with me had a 90 for sure. I never thought to ask him about the top of his saw because that's how I thought they came...therefore a non-issue at the time. Possibly, he could have broken the black top and used a 80 top for a donor...dunno. Seems like he would have told me that when we discussed Jonsereds saws of that vintage.

Since I can only see pics of the 90...you're saying that those black tops were actually 'metal' and not plastic? That was my error...they look from the pics like plastic.

Kevin

You're not reading my post accurately, dude. I said I own an 80 with a silver metal top-no argument there because that's the way they came. I made no claim I had a 90, but that I wanted one. What I stated is that I've seen THREE silver metal top 90's; one working along side me when I was still logging and two for sale. Now the owners of the two for sale could have had 80's and were confused/lying, but the logger working with me had a 90 for sure. I never thought to ask him about the top of his saw because that's how I thought they came...therefore a non-issue at the time. Possibly, he could have broken the black top and used a 80 top for a donor...dunno. Seems like he would have told me that when we discussed Jonsereds saws of that vintage.

Since I can only see pics of the 90...you're saying that those black tops were actually 'metal' and not plastic? That was my error...they look from the pics like plastic.

Kevin

Kevin I'm not arguing with you. Nor am I stating an opinion...Lee and I were just stating how these saws differed and how they were the same. Not how someone supposed they were but just accurate history on these models. You stated that you had an 80 with a decomp...I stated Jonsereds never made one...you stated you had seen three silver topped 90s..I stated Jonsereds never made one. I am just giving you the history. Does that mean someone didn't change covers or want to paint the cover a different color?? Of course not. In your particular case you have an 80 with a decomp, now you know that they never came that way so (1) you have an 80 that someone has fitted with a decomp after it was bought or (2) you have an 80 that someone has fitted with a 90 P&C after it was bought...simple as that. Perhaps you don't care but I would want know what I had for a saw. At this point you just don't know for certain. It could be either way. Again try not to take this as an opinion or a judgement and try to read my post accurately as I am merely giving you the information as to the history of these two saws. What you have seen may or may jive with the actual history.

Kevin I'm not arguing with you. Nor am I stating an opinion...Lee and I were just stating how these saws differed and how they were the same. Not how someone supposed they were but just accurate history on these models. You stated that you had an 80 with a decomp...I stated Jonsereds never made one...you stated you had seen three silver topped 90s..I stated Jonsereds never made one. I am just giving you the history. Does that mean someone didn't change covers or want to paint the cover a different color?? Of course not. In your particular case you have an 80 with a decomp, now you know that they never came that way so (1) you have an 80 that someone has fitted with a decomp after it was bought or (2) you have an 80 that someone has fitted with a 90 P&C after it was bought...simple as that. Perhaps you don't care but I would want know what I had for a saw. At this point you just don't know for certain. It could be either way. Again try not to take this as an opinion or a judgement and try to read my post accurately as I am merely giving you the information as to the history of these two saws. What you have seen may or may jive with the actual history.

OK, here's what I said, "I never saw a 80 with factory decomp." How did you take that to mean I had a decomp switch?? Your last whole post is based on something I never said....

As far as the silver metal tops, I was just reporting what I saw. How those 90's got silver metal tops is the million dollar question now, I suppose. You say there is NO WAY they came from the factory that way. I have no reason not to believe you...I'm just telling you what I saw. Also, I never said I owned a 90, but wanted one. I don't need to post a pic of my 80 after 31yrs of ownership and running/buying parts for the saw, I can attest that it's a bone stock 80 except for the lower handle.

I don't know what else to say since you based your last post on the erroneous assumption that I stated I had decomp, which seemed to prove to you that I don't know what I'm talking about with 80's. I know 80's.....just not the line of Jonsereds. Remember if you will, that sales literature and illustrated parts catalogs where all we had....that and talking to a rep. There was no Internet then and no way to cross reference saw models during their production run, other than what a dealer/rep said.

Kevin

My apologies Kevin, I went back and reread the posts and I got your post confused with a response I made in post #964 to sawfun9 who said HE had an 80 witha decomp. Somehow I mistook his post for one of yours and got it tangled up in our discussion again my apoligies..

Thank you for that....I was pulling my hair out over the misread stuff.:msp_razz: Anyway, most likely you are correct on the 90's top cover. I'm just reporting what I have seen with three saws. I still want a 90 and especially since the black top is metal. I guess I could easily make a 90 out of my 80 if the parts were freely available, but I don't find that to be true. Besides, I wouldn't mind another Jonsereds to give this one a well deserved rest or at least to share the load. ;) The 90's are hard to come by....the 70e I think was very popular. I put new vibration mounts in the saw in the early 80's and they were tough even then to find.

Kevin

Yes I too would like to find a 90. I almost picked up a NOS 90 P&C on ebay this last winter but funds were tight and I was unable to go as high as needed. I have 4 80s...the one in my sig is a real nice saw and is set up with a 24" Winsor bar. Of the other three 2 are waiting for the time to work on them and 1 will be a donor saw for parts. Of the 2 that will be fixed one is the first Jonsereds I ever used in probably 1977 and belonged the an old friend who is no longer with us. That 80 will be getting a full resto starting with beadblasted cases and fresh powger coat and new or used in good shape parts it will undoubtedly need. The other will be just gone through and made reliable and used. It's hard to find this type of Jonsereds saw (70E, 80, 90, 111S etc) in good used condition as these saws were bought by loggers or other pro users as a daily tool and now we are 40 or so yrs out the vast majority are spent. Not impossible to find but rare.
I just completed a total rebuild of a 70E and two 49sp Jonsereds which I documented on here in the thread "70E and 49sp Build from Scratch". You can find it with the search function, just type in that title. A lot of pics from start to finish which you might be interested in if you're looking into perhaps aquiring a 70E.

Yes I too would like to find a 90. I almost picked up a NOS 90 P&C on ebay this last winter but funds were tight and I was unable to go as high as needed. I have 4 80s...the one in my sig is a real nice saw and is set up with a 24" Winsor bar. Of the other three 2 are waiting for the time to work on them and 1 will be a donor saw for parts. Of the 2 that will be fixed one is the first Jonsereds I ever used in probably 1977 and belonged the an old friend who is no longer with us. That 80 will be getting a full resto starting with beadblasted cases and fresh powger coat and new or used in good shape parts it will undoubtedly need. The other will be just gone through and made reliable and used. It's hard to find this type of Jonsereds saw (70E, 80, 90, 111S etc) in good used condition as these saws were bought by loggers or other pro users as a daily tool and now we are 40 or so yrs out the vast majority are spent. Not impossible to find but rare.
I just completed a total rebuild of a 70E and two 49sp Jonsereds which I documented on here in the thread "70E and 49sp Build from Scratch". You can find it with the search function, just type in that title. A lot of pics from start to finish which you might be interested in if you're looking into perhaps aquiring a 70E.

It's awesome you have so much passion in restoring these old Jonsereds! My 80 was bought as a back-up saw to my Husky 2100 the last yr I logged. Normally, I just backed up a new 2100 with an older 2100 I had been previously using; always giving me two working saws to draw on.

I was in this saw shop in the middle of winter and the owner had just gone through the 80. I was impressed with the little saw. I called Bailey's and they set me up with the biggest bar I could fit(28") and 404 chisel chain. In larger timber it struggled, unlike the 2100....but we're comparing apples to oranges there:dizzy: Since I quit logging, the 80 has been used much more than the 2100. It only makes sense that you reach for a smaller saw for the weight advantage, whenever you can.

The only con about this saw is vapor lock. On hot days, it will easily vapor lock if left in the sun. If I remember to leave it in the shade, it's fine. I tired a number of fixes for that back in the day, but I was told it was a Jonsereds problem.

I only mentioned the 70e because they share some of the same parts. I have too many hobbies to collect/restore chainsaws, but I really would like a 90 to use. I've been storing parts for yrs for both the 2100 and the 80....just to keep them running and usable. People find out I was a directional faller and they always seem to have some big-ass group of trees they need down. Otherwise, I use the saws a lot in my present work. Regrettably, I find myself looking at old trees and musing about taking them down. That's far from politically correct these days and doesn't always make for positive conversation.:msp_unsure:

Kevin

snip....It's hard to find this type of Jonsereds saw (70E, 80, 90, 111S etc) in good used condition as these saws were bought by loggers or other pro users as a daily tool and now we are 40 or so yrs out the vast majority are spent. Not impossible to find but rare.

Tell me more about the 111Super. From the pic and specs I found, it looks like it had no A/V at all in the handle bar assembly. I like the size of it though....does it share any parts with the 80/90's? I was wondering if the A/V system from the 80/90 could be adapted.:msp_confused:

Kevin

Latest posts

Back