Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The model 90 is supposed to be 87cc....slightly bigger than the model 80 at 80cc. That's why I would be curious to run the 90 and see if it had a bit more grunt than my 80. My guess was that it was a bored out model 80.

Kevin

About right, except the "80cc" ones were closer to 81cc, really. :msp_wink:

Just thought I'd update for the sake of being honest and for other joes that might get caught up in BBS(that's Big Bar Syndrome for the uninformed). My 28" Jred bar on the cheap experiment was what some websites like to call an "EPIC FAILURE".

I picked up a chain from bailey's to match a nice NOS 28" bar i purchased locally from a classified on this site. To be fair it is a really nice bar, it's just my application that didn't work... Thought it would be nice to buck up logs in front of my woods with it without stooping. Silly me. I'd much rather stoop than handle all that weight and also avoid the hidden old pasture fence under the leaves that I promptly let sparks fly off of in the first five minutes of sawing....

Price of bar and chain...(now boogered up chain)...$50
Life lesson of light, responsive saw working best...Priceless

Oh well, maybe someday I'll buy a .058 sprocket for the Dolmar...
(At least the Jred bar looks good hanging on the shed wall!) Cheers!
Here's a one last pic of it looking tough for ya!:
0305111346.jpg

I guess it's an experience/application issue. I never ran a saw with a bar under 28" and I used a six ft bar for seven yrs in old gr CO stuff and second gr OR stuff. Makes walking down the tree limbin' a breeze.:msp_smile:

I need a needle bearing for the clutch on my 621. Is that a standard part I can pick up at a dealer or do I need to start a goose chase?

504-233100. Still in the Jonsered price book, so I assume your local dealer should be able to get it.

Jonsered 590

attachment.php

I fixed the problem with the Partner yellow starter housing. :laugh:

535 new to me

Hello
Just got my first Jonsered: model 535.
msp_smile.gif

Here is a quick picture.
attachment.php

Haven't got it running yet. Replacing broken fuel line and filter right now. And cleaning...

Have spent most of my time so far on the Poulans and this sort of appeared...sort of looks like my PP295 but all magnesium. I like that. Reading through all the posts; on page 12 so far.( and from current back to pg53) so I see/have read that this is perhaps not their finest model?(pg53) but its a start for me. I'll let you know how I feel when I get it in some wood. but I do like the layout and feel so far. Never had one in my hands before yesterday.

If any one has some insight into this particular model I would love to read about it. (maybe you have and I haven't gotten to it yet)

I have found that you need a good sharp pull on the cord to spark it over! no half efforts...
Pics as I get them will be coming (you guys like pics in this thread too?)
Paul

View attachment 180202

Last edited:
If any one has some insight into this particular model I would love to read about it. (maybe you have and I haven't gotten to it yet)

IPL attached. It's similar to my 590 (handles and stuff) but different. My dad has a 535 it's reliable.

Wendell - Check with Boyd, AKA Wet Gunpowder. I'll bet he can help you out.

Mark

I already sent him a PM but will call tomorrow. The worst part is he just sent me the missing clutch spring and I had forgotten there were a couple needles missing from the bearing. :bang::bang::bang:

Hello
Just got my first Jonsered: model 535.
msp_smile.gif

Here is a quick picture.
attachment.php

Haven't got it running yet. Replacing broken fuel line and filter right now. And cleaning...

Have spent most of my time so far on the Poulans and this sort of appeared...sort of looks like my PP295 but all magnesium. I like that. Reading through all the posts; on page 12 so far.( and from current back to pg53) so I see/have read that this is perhaps not their finest model?(pg53) but its a start for me. I'll let you know how I feel when I get it in some wood. but I do like the layout and feel so far. Never had one in my hands before yesterday.

I have found that you need a good sharp pull on the cord to spark it over! no half efforts...
Pics as I get them will be coming (you guys like pics in this thread too?)
Paul

View attachment 180202

Nice looking saw.

Nice saw there paulyb21. I have a 535 but I don't use it much - not as much power as others in the same weight range. They are really well built but I cannot work out why they would use a clam shell design and a relatively detuned powerhead. I have posted before but here is mine.

P1310620.jpg

Al.

Thanks

Briantutt-Brian, thanks for the 535 IPL, were there service manuals for these? Original owner is snail-mailing me the owners guide next week

Arrowhead I sort of like it, NO missing parts and the correct bar on it for a change. Nice to get one complete to start with...

Nardoo-Al...that sets the bar pretty high. That is one shiny little beast. We will see what some gas and shop rags can do for mine.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Sorry to hear that these ones are a little malnourished in the power. It feels so good. Anything to wake them up a bit (ya and its not even running yet..oops)

I see an adjustable oiler. and good rim gear....
attachment.php
Metal oil line (had many plastic ones rot away on my other beasts)
Real nice usable piston Still has machining marks oon it!
attachment.php

attachment.php
And some sort of Swedish measuring tape on the clutch cover?, ha
I like it! Tomorrow we will see what it can do...
Paul
View attachment 180236 View attachment 180222View attachment 180223View attachment 180224View attachment 180226

I see you discovered the oiler. It is a bit hidden away and you actually have to remove the cylinder to get at it.

My saw seemed to be sucking air down around the clam shell halves so I pulled it down and resealed it all. Discovered the oil pump then. Not my idea of a great design but it works OK.

Al.

535---running again

Hello Guys

Had a chance finally today to finish up the 535. Had lots of rain and some late snow yesterday...now sleet

It coughed on the 4th pull and started up on the 6th. Yahoo! Not bad for dry lines and all. Found that the impulse line was off its nipple too. Probably the reason the previous owner couldn't run it except for gas down the carb. Well that and a broken fuel line and clogged fuel filter. That is some tight fit trying to put the implulse line back on, with the carb still attached. Little room to see what is going on. 2 coffees later and better lighting and angled micro needle nose pliers...I finally got her done. Must be a better way.

Have swished out the oil tank but no oil yet to the bar. Letting it soak a bit before trying again. Baking the freshly re-painted muffler on the woodstove now while I wait.

I see you discovered the oiler. It is a bit hidden away and you actually have to remove the cylinder to get at it.

My saw seemed to be sucking air down around the clam shell halves so I pulled it down and resealed it all. Discovered the oil pump then. Not my idea of a great design but it works OK.

Al.

Is there a way to purge the line if it has crap in it or must I remove the cylinder to get to the pump and see whats wrong.? Or to blow out the line. Can I put a few psi in the oil tank to help out or would this damage some gaskets? Or try to blow back into the tank from the oil delivery end? A service manual or scan of the proper procedure would help alot, hint hint I have my request in at beg for manuals ...maybe another series manual could help. Hard to tell whats what from just the IPL. Looks like a gear drive 503 17 44-01 off of a worm gear 504 38 52-06 on the crank. Are these prone to failure? before I start ripping the engine out. The oil adjustment screw was already turned to max

Well thats it for the update. May just dip the bar in some oil to see some chips fly before nightfall! and set the carb
Thanks Paul

535 oiler---ok

Well I guess the soaking and swishing worked.. Oils great now. Even had to turn the adjustment down a bit for the little test pieces I was doing. Usually the opposite for me, never enough oil...

A bit of black looking oil first started oozing out after about 30 seconds, then nice, fresh, red bar oil. Have no clue what the other guy was running in the tank, don't care, she is working now!
On to the playing stage.
Starts up real nice, 2 pulls, I think I will like this saw.

Paul

Well I guess the soaking and swishing worked.. Oils great now. Even had to turn the adjustment down a bit for the little test pieces I was doing. Usually the opposite for me, never enough oil...

A bit of black looking oil first started oozing out after about 30 seconds, then nice, fresh, red bar oil. Have no clue what the other guy was running in the tank, don't care, she is working now!
On to the playing stage.
Starts up real nice, 2 pulls, I think I will like this saw.

Paul

Good job Paul, looks like you got her cleaned up real nice. :rock:

Latest posts

Back