Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out with a well used 70e. I've had a variety of reds since from a dinky top handle up to the 111s. I currently have a low hour 2095 that came with an alaskan and a running 111s.

I found a well used Jonsered 70E a couple years ago. It ran like a animal when I first got it, since then I have let it set I got it out the other day. Spark is intermittent, I have adjusted the points several times, and think the coil is having issues. I would like to put a solidstate ignition in it, does any one know a good way to go about this. I also have a list of parts I need, airfilter, clutchcover, fuel lines fuel filter. like I said this saw was a good runner, I'd like to restore it, and put it back into service, any help guys would be great.

I found a well used Jonsered 70E a couple years ago. It ran like a animal when I first got it, since then I have let it set I got it out the other day. Spark is intermittent, I have adjusted the points several times, and think the coil is having issues. I would like to put a solidstate ignition in it, does any one know a good way to go about this. I also have a list of parts I need, airfilter, clutchcover, fuel lines fuel filter. like I said this saw was a good runner, I'd like to restore it, and put it back into service, any help guys would be great.

If you have been adjusting the points, you don't have a 70E. The E stands for electronic ignition, and the 70's didn't have points.

What he said. :) The 70E doesn't have points. If you have a saw that looks similar to the 70 (black top, etc.) you most likely have a Jonsereds 52.

Hey guys, I picked up a nice 520 sp with a toasted piston. Does anyone know if any other Jred pistons interchange or if Husky made an equivalant saw? Thanks

Hey guys, I picked up a nice 520 sp with a toasted piston. Does anyone know if any other Jred pistons interchange or if Husky made an equivalant saw? Thanks

Maybe one from a 525? I don't know, hopefully bumping this will get you a better answer from a more knowledgeable AS member.

It looks like the software has switched my setting French. Eh bien!

+1! I also have a 520 with a toasted piston amongst my project saws. Anyone know where I can find one? What would be the husky equivalent (If there is one: I've had bad experiences with husky equivalent p&c for my 670)?

There is no Husky equivalent model of this saw, although a piston from a different model might work I have never heard of it. The 520 is the later version of the 510, which was a true Jonsereds saw. A piston from either saw will work. There are 2 different part numbers for the 525 piston, one is the same as the 510/520 and the other is different. Finding a NOS piston will be hard, but probably not impossible. A good used one is probably your best bet.

Good luck.

Thanks Lee

So 510's 520's and some 525's have the same piston? I pulled the saw apart tonight. Almost no transfer to the cylinder. I'm sure it would run with just a new ring and that may be the route I go if I can't find a piston.

So 510's 520's and some 525's have the same piston? I pulled the saw apart tonight. Almost no transfer to the cylinder. I'm sure it would run with just a new ring and that may be the route I go if I can't find a piston.

That's what I'm gonna try. got a new ring last week. Also cleaned up the cylinder. Haven't tried it yet, but I fear my piston is in too bad shape... a small part of the top is totally broken off...

That's what I'm gonna try. got a new ring last week. Also cleaned up the cylinder. Haven't tried it yet, but I fear my piston is in too bad shape... a small part of the top is totally broken off...

Good luck getting it going, just make sure you're not going to do more damage. If I can find a piston I'll use it but this saw won't see heavy use so a new ring would work if need be.

That's what the IPL's say. There may be other pistons and cylinders that can be put on the 520, but I don't know for sure. I am going strictly off of the piston part numbers.

Good luck.

Back