Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guy's
Just pulled the old messed up fuel filter off, and cranked it she fired and runs like a champ, little carb adjustment, and she purrred nicely the oiler even works. Sure would feel better about it if I could find a side cover though. Top cover would be nice but I think I know where to find one of those. I would still like to go solid state on the ignition, any idea where to even get points and condensers?

Hey Guy's
Just pulled the old messed up fuel filter off, and cranked it she fired and runs like a champ, little carb adjustment, and she purrred nicely the oiler even works. Sure would feel better about it if I could find a side cover though. Top cover would be nice but I think I know where to find one of those. I would still like to go solid state on the ignition, any idea where to even get points and condensers?

They are around but you can probably file, match and set the ones you have and they will last the life of the saw...

Used Clutch cover is easy to find on E-Bay they fit 621, 66E, 70E. 80, and 90

Last edited:
Here's a picture of one with a clutch cover. Looks like the top covers are mostly silver?

attachment.php

Here's a picture of one with a clutch cover. Looks like the top covers are mostly silver?[QUOTE/]

That's a 621. The rear handle is different and the "N" cast into the case means it's a 621. They do look similar and yes the top covers were silver, but most are the gray left behind.

Where might this 'N' be located??? :dunno:

Where might this 'N' be located??? :dunno:

Go back and look at the pic in post #1063. Look just behind the cover screw about an inch back and a half inch down from the joint between the cover and case also on the opposite side (other case half) above the gas cap.

Hey Guy's

Terry, shoot me a PM if you have problems finding a clutch cover for the 621. I might have one, but I'll need to do some digging around.

I might have located a clutch cover. I really got looking at this saw, I have ran Husky's all my life, I am amazed at the quality they put into this saw building something like this today would break a company or raise the price so high you couldn't afford it. I mean a four piece fuel filter, that is actually clamped the hose, no cheap wire in the throttle linkage, and a anti-vibe system that while not perfect is good even by todays standards. I can clearly see why Jonsered is so highly thought of, best way to say it comes out of a eariler quote I herd,"A truly fine example of Swedish Engineering!" With things as they are there would be no practical way to reproduce this saw and market it today, this thing is cool!!

How about the in-board clutch design... piece of cake to make a slight mod for a chainbrake (from a mnf. standpoint...) not a clumsy brake/cover design... (costly to build strong, and replace...)

these saws were VERY expensive when new.. i heard a 52E was in the ballpark of 3-400 in the late 70's... minimum wage was right around $1...

J-Red 80

Hey Guys-
I have had more time then I wanted recently, it's hard when your not trying to step on toes. In any case I have devoted most of it to this J-Red I replaced the fuel lines, rebuilt the Carb, made new gaskets between the cylinder and manifold, and carb and manifold. the recoil spring broke at the point where it attaches to the spool, fixed that put a new pull rope on it. I replaced the clutch hub and bearing, put a new loop on it and gave it a pull it fired and tuned in, and is up and running money is a little tight, but I got a good parts list that includes new top cover and a clutch cover, but it's gonna be a good saw. I don't trust the points, but they are working as they should, so I figured leave well enough alone, until better comes along, or it becomes a issue. Way cool saw, don't seem to be a lot of weight difference between it and my 288, the 288 has the power edge, but not by much!

Yes the 621 and 80 were both way ahead of their times in design and superior in build compared to most of what was around at the time. Of course my opinion might be biased a tad......or more!! LOL!!

No problem, since you obviously are right!

We are talking 1970 here.....

And on the opposite side as well. And late model 621's have an "N1".

AH-HA that's good to know as I have one NOS case half with the "N" designation and another NOS half with the "N1" that I intend to use on my (mostly) NOS 621 build from scratch.

Good work Terry!! I love those old 80s.....just picked up a real nice 90 P&C which I intend to put on an old 80 that I have kicking around and see how that goes with perhaps a mild porting. I think I will really like the decomp as my running 80 will really leave black screech marks between your fingers if you aren't real committed when starting and it decides it wants the cord back...NOW!!!

Niko....seems like yesterday..doesn't it?? LOL!

RiverRat...is that your panhead in your avitar?? What yr????

Aren't there enough threads stickied already? Christ, it's getting out of control. What happened to the free market economy? Threads will stay at the top if people want them too.

PS, that 621 is a nice looking saw. If you need a good bar at a decent price send me a PM. There is a source that I can't post in the forum. :cheers:

It is not one of the older ones though.....

The casting numbers are all the same on the 490/590/Partner 5000's. That's Mahles cast number. The manufacturer decides bore and port timing. The part numbers are what's different.

That was the case with those ones (and a few more), but it isn't always the case.....:)

Latest posts

Back