Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to AS, Bert. I'm in Madison. PB definitely knows his stuff so hopefully that will you back up and running!

Well, some things I know but the coil on the 910 I am not so sure. ;) I am pretty positive that later 900 series saws shared ignition components with the 288 but I am not sure about the 910. Spark plug coils are the same on the 451, that i know for sure. As long as the 451 has the same ignition system because there are 3 different versions. :dizzy:

I was able to go chainsaw hunting last week, a new trip since a very long time, and ended up with several goodies, including some nice jonny's.
Besides a 630V and a 90, I found another 'jonny queen' XF in superb shape.
tell me she looks good...LOL

XFk.jpg

XFhsmall.jpg

I was able to go chainsaw hunting last week, a new trip since a very long time, and ended up with several goodies, including some nice jonny's.

XFk.jpg

XFhsmall.jpg

drool, drool, drool

XFk.jpg

XFhsmall.jpg

I have a 630V, and I have a 90, but damn it Roland, stop buying all the XF's!! How am I supposed to buy one if you hog the market!

Nice find, how does it run?

I have a 630V, and I have a 90, but damn it Roland, stop buying all the XF's!! How am I supposed to buy one if you hog the market!

Nice find, how does it run?

This XF belonged to an old farmer who remembered very well she liked to kick back on the hands...LOL.
The saw is all original and needed a thorough overall cleaining, points cleaning and setting, that's all. She runs real nice, typical reed valve engine, much like a Solo Rex. Like I said before, if you pull this thing to start, just make sure she doesn't believe you're a sissy, otherwise she kicks back real good.
I made a vid with my Sony Camera, but have to convert the file to one that works on this site.

.... Does anyone have any replacement parts or are there any modern schemes to go from the flywheel coil direct to the spark plug? I see there are several coils that do just that,....

Regards

I've got the same saw. I redid the wires and the spark is fine... for now. if you get any leads on a replacement or better yet a modern replacement/redesign i'd love to hear about it.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!! Nice catch Roland.....I've gotten very enamored of the styling of the early Jonsereds. I just picked up a nice 601 in about the same condition. Haven't had time to clean it up yet but at only about half the CCs of the XF it doesn't seem so great...now.....(sigh) but it's here and yours is way across the pond so I'll just have make do!! LOL!!!! Enjoy... and pull with authority!!!!!!

Last edited:
Really like the looks of the XF, Roland. Those have alot of old school style to them that is very distinctive. Very good looking old girl!

Brian and Tina

Does anyone know if the oil drive gear on a 920 is threaded onto the crank? I am trying to pull one apart, and the IPL looks like it is pressed on there, but the service manual says to unscrew it. It won't budge, so I am thinking it might be threaded.

Does anyone know if the oil drive gear on a 920 is threaded onto the crank? I am trying to pull one apart, and the IPL looks like it is pressed on there, but the service manual says to unscrew it. It won't budge, so I am thinking it might be threaded.

Took mine off awhile back, sure seem to recall only having to remove the cap screws and it pulled right off. The pump does house the seal, with an o ring between the pump housing and case.

Last edited:
attachment.php

In this case, the IPL isn't too bad. On the 910, there is the pickup and a couple of wires that run all the way to the spark plug, where the second ignition coil is built into the boot. kinda unique... unfortunately. i would be willing to give that one you referenced a shot if I knew the pickup timing was the same.

mis-read your problem. I though you meant the pump, not the drive gear. I can't answer how the gear is fitted to the crank, sure looks pressed on to me (no sign of threads exiting between the parts).

Last edited:

Its just pressed on. You can pull the bearing and gear at on time or pull them individually. If your replacing the bearing which I assume you are, put a litle heat on the brass gear if needed. Once you break it free it will pull right off.

Back