Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to go chainsaw hunting last week, a new trip since a very long time, and ended up with several goodies, including some nice jonny's.
Besides a 630V and a 90, I found another 'jonny queen' XF in superb shape.
tell me she looks good...LOL

Yes, it looks very good! :msp_drool::drool::angel:

i have a question on the 910e, if anyone is willing to look at theirs. when looking through the intake port, how far does the piston go down at BDC? It looks like mine just has a hair, like 1mm, below the top of the intake port at BDC... that seems weird. No outside evidence of a changed head or piston that would goof up the stroke. I'm stumped at the moment.

I did get the warped bar straight enough to be used. so some success.

Alright guys i'm sittin here doin the pee-pee shuffle cuz I just got the tracking number for my J-Red XF today. Best part is I didn't have to pay for it (couldn't right now anyway) as it was what I thought was a very fair trade.It is complete and about 86-90% on paint pics of top end look new and the fella says that compression is excellent. It will need to have spark restored. Anyway I am very exited as I have been looking for one of these for a couple of years now. These babies are 110cc's like the 111 series but with a lot better style and a big cast muffler. It turns out I collect J-Reds after all as this will catch me up on all the models I wanted. Once it is here and I finish it I will post a vid of the collection and the XF running and cutting. Alright i'm done gushing. Just thought i'd add this link in case anyone did not know what they look like http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/9e96d43eba5422d288256

Last edited:
Alright guys i'm sittin here doin the pee-pee shuffle cuz I just got the tracking number for my J-Red XF today. Best part is I didn't have to pay for it (couldn't right now anyway) as it was what I thought was a very fair trade.It is complete and about 86-90% on paint pics of top end look new and the fella says that compression is excellent. It will need to have spark restored. Anyway I am very exited as I have been looking for one of these for a couple of years now. These babies are 110cc's like the 111 series but with a lot better style and a big cast muffler. It turns out I collect J-Reds after all as this will catch me up on all the models I wanted. Once it is here and I finish it I will post a vid of the collection and the XF running and cutting. Alright i'm done gushing.

Nice! I hate you by the way. ;)

Someday, I will have one. Someday.

i have a question on the 910e, if anyone is willing to look at theirs. when looking through the intake port, how far does the piston go down at BDC? It looks like mine just has a hair, like 1mm, below the top of the intake port at BDC... that seems weird. No outside evidence of a changed head or piston that would goof up the stroke. I'm stumped at the moment.

I did get the warped bar straight enough to be used. so some success.

Why does that sound weird? I would take a look but I don't want to tear it apart tonight. I do need to replace the intake boot at some time though.

the piston will not ness go down far enuf to open straight into the cyl ,all gas /air mix goes into the crankcase under the piston when the piston is at top dead center then as the piston goes down it is forced up thru the transfers to the top of the piston to be compressed for ignition . i hope this isnt the first time this has been explained to you . the intake port will always be lower than the exhaust port or the piston skirts will be cutaway at diff heights . i hope this helps . cheers jk

okay - I'm trying to figure out why the engine is fighting me when attempting to start. when spark-plug is out, easy pull. spark plug is in, i can't really even pull the thing over. fells like crazy-high compression. I was wondering if it was fully cycling through the proper stroke. I'm not babying it - got the foot on the back, right hand on the top, left hand pulling like hell. The plug doesn't seem to be mechanically interfering. is there something else I should know?

are you sure u have the right spark plug in there ,should be a short reach style ,with plug out how close to the top of the cyl does the piston come ??i know those things were known for hi compression

are you sure u have the right spark plug in there ,should be a short reach style ,with plug out how close to the top of the cyl does the piston come ??i know those things were known for hi compression

not sure if plug is correct or not, but was suspecting interference, so I threaded it in a couple of turns, just enough to sort of seal the cylinder. still can't pull it fast enough to come close to starting it. once per rev, it stops hard, then I can keep pulling it through that until the next rev where it stops again. I'm pulling it hard enough to where I feel I might actually break something.

not sure if plug is correct or not, but was suspecting interference, so I threaded it in a couple of turns, just enough to sort of seal the cylinder. still can't pull it fast enough to come close to starting it. once per rev, it stops hard, then I can keep pulling it through that until the next rev where it stops again. I'm pulling it hard enough to where I feel I might actually break something.

Are you sure its not hydrolocking? Flooded, oiler problem?

Are you talking about the 910? Are you using the decomp? If so and it won't turn over I'd say something is binding. Have you had the cylinder off?

Are you talking about the 910? Are you using the decomp? If so and it won't turn over I'd say something is binding. Have you had the cylinder off?

... not seeing a decomp on it. where is it located - it may be plugged or I'm just blind. or perhaps is that one remaining mystery hole on the top of the saw. not obviously a release valve though.

no I didn't tear into the cylinder - the P&C looked clean through the ports. I didn't even have the FW off. I just cleaned it up, replaced the plug wires, and redid some of the AV cushions. pored some oil in the top end while I was working on it, so it isn't going to be an easy start at first until I burn some of that off... if and when I get it started.

removed the plug, put the piston back on the bottom, flipped the saw over - no fluids dripped or poured out.

I have no idea if the oiler is working or not. I don't know how to test it without firing it up - auto oiler only. I don't know how that would cause this problem either, since no oil is seeping into the chamber somewhere.

without the plug, it turns over fine. with the plug in at all it stops hard coming into TDC.

I still don't see a decomp if there is one.

I'm a bit boggled. I may have to box this one up for a while unless one of you has an idea to help me diagnose; I've got a mcculloch someone gave me that needs to be looked at - I promised them I would get her going some months ago.

I went back and looked at the pics you posted when you got the saw. It doesn't look like there is a decomp sticking up through the top cover. It looks like there is a hole for one though. Is it plugged off? It sounds like you have too much oil in the cylinder. If it were mine, I'd pour some mix in the plug hole and turn the saw over a few times and drain it out. Then maybe you can get it to pull over.

I went back and looked at the pics you posted when you got the saw. It doesn't look like there is a decomp sticking up through the top cover. It looks like there is a hole for one though. Is it plugged off? It sounds like you have too much oil in the cylinder. If it were mine, I'd pour some mix in the plug hole and turn the saw over a few times and drain it out. Then maybe you can get it to pull over.

Yea, that would be the final 'mystery hole' that could be for a decomp or, I thought, maybe a full-wrap handle.

I've had it draining for the last couple of days, but putting some mix in would thin it a lot quicker. thx for the advice.

(tried to rep ya - gotta spread it around...)

Last edited:
As long as your boxing it up, you might as well put my address on the box and drop it in the mail.;)

that's always tempting given my desire for instant gratification in my hobbies, as opposed to my job where I rarely get to see things make it to completion.

it seems like a proper OEM plug is in the hole... it's not a SHCS or the like. I've got a few 77cc dolkita cutoff saws that are still in the back of my vehicle. I'm going to see if they have a decomp I can swap.

Back