McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would ad this here too.

Might as well post a video too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jwoi2u0aOkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jwoi2u0aOkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The chain on the 5-10g looks like the chain in your sig; that log looked to be about the minimum to "work" the saw. That was a setup back in the day. Engine just purrs, chips don't really fly, but they hardly ever stop coming

Very neat information on the General bar Chris. I have three NOS hard nose General bars (all 18") for my old McCulloch saws. I will have to choose carefully which ones get to sport "The General".

Mark

thats the problem with NOS stuff, you hate to use it.

here are my 8 NOS Generals and one slightly used 60" homey General.

CIMG1236.jpg

CIMG1239.jpg

What is the Prelude Block?

I mentioned a while back porting a 1-72 for fun, but before I do, I want to try out some ideas on what I've taken to calling the Prelude Block ($10 on ebay woo hoo!). When I get heavy into this project, I'll start a new thread, but for now, I'm trying to figure out just what the Prelude Block is. It is a 2.125 bore with, as near as I can tell (the p/n is shrouded by the crank bearing) a 50659A crank (Mac 15/250). It has limited porting and no stuffer plate. The reed block is in the bottom and where the reed port would be on a horizontal block, there is merely a plate like a Mac 15. The third port passage goes nowhere. The problem I have is that my Mac 15 is stamped Mc15. This one shows 52886A. Plus the serial prefix code C11 doesn't match Mac 15s according to Acres' site (though 11 does show up for a late model 250). What is this thing and what chassis can I get it into given the correct reed blocks and stuffer plates? That way when I butcher this thing, I can at least mount it up and verify the damage!!!!

attachment.php

Exhaust ports to the right, transfers up and down, small port that goes nowhere???
attachment.php

attachment.php

Got these snap gages from a local tool and die supply place recently for $15. They have an anaglog bore gage on sale right now for under $50... Not pro quality, but it'll suit my needs so I think I'm going to tag one anyway tomorrow after work.
attachment.php

2-10 carb

I need some help in figuring out this McCulloch carb off my 2-10. I think there where several varants of the McCulloch carbs on this saw, my question is do the rebuild kits interchange? And how easy (or hard) is it to find one? This one has a primer and hi mix, low speed, low mix adjustments and a letter "C" in the upper RH corner (by my finger). Thanks for your help.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tim, that is the McCulloch "bullfrog" single needle carburetor. If the duckbill valve is O.K. you can get the diaphragms easily enough, o-rings for the primer are no problem either. If the duck bill is shot, your best bet would be to plug the port and just prime it manually to get it started.

I have some information on the operation of that carburetor in a .pdf file but it is too large to attach here. If you'd like a copy please send me a PM and remind me of your e-mail address.

Basically you adjust the idle mix with the long needle, then adjust the high speed mix by adjusting the position of the throttle plate at WOT, you can go about 7° either way of horizontal to regulate the fuel flow at wide open throttle. There is an idle speed governer so you can adjust idle speed by repositioning the small spring on the throttle shaft.

Mark

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like a Mac 15 with the reed plate on the bottom. Only two holes open in the exhaust like many of the lower output McCullochs would also seem to indicate the Mac 15.

Mark

Most likely it is. My goals are to move the reed block back to the side, open the 3rd exhaust port then hand widen and raise them. Add the 3rd transfers front and rear and get 2 boost ports in the side to activate the third port casting pocket. Lots of other "opportunities for casting modifications to come. Perhaps I can find an 87cc crank and rod to add to it later. A firend of mine has a lathe and a Bridgeport in his shop to assist me when I get to it. I'm in the very preliminary stages of this and really won't have the time to attack this project until fall or winter I expect, but I can horde parts now. The stuff it in a 250 carcass (they're easier to find than a Mac15 and accomodate the reed setup I want) and try it. Then, the 1-72 will get the MC10 treatment...

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here might have a spare points cover and cover retainer for a Mac 650 geardrive. I got one and have it running good, but these parts are missing. Any help would be great. Thanks

Grizz, you have the idle governer version. There are at least 2 variations: one has a high speed mix screw, and another without the idle governor. Like Mark said, if the primer duckbill is a puddle of goo, you will have to plug it up and manual prime. I also have the Mac 10 carb manual on .pdf if you want it.

mcculloch model 99

Hi I'm new to this website and for that matter the chainsaw collecting world. I just aquired a mcculloch model 99 chainsaw and was wondering where can I find parts. Its mostly complete but I believe I'm missing the cover that the chain oil line hooks up to.

Hi I'm new to this website and for that matter the chainsaw collecting world. I just aquired a mcculloch model 99 chainsaw and was wondering where can I find parts. Its mostly complete but I believe I'm missing the cover that the chain oil line hooks up to.

I usually get parts from ebay and sometimes chainsawr.com has them. A lot of people buy a parts saw to get parts off of. Sometimes you can get a parts saw for the price of 1 part and then you'll have lots of spares.

Latest posts

Back