McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may ask? What is POR15. Tom

Por 15 is another product on the order of Kreem, I think someone told me it stands for Paint Over Rust, must have been their 15th attempt. Like Kreem you are supposed to pour it in the tank then keep rotating to get an even coat everywhere but that does not work so well for the split tanks like the old McCulloch saws.

Mark

Por 15 is another product on the order of Kreem, I think someone told me it stands for Paint Over Rust, must have been their 15th attempt. Like Kreem you are supposed to pour it in the tank then keep rotating to get an even coat everywhere but that does not work so well for the split tanks like the old McCulloch saws.

Mark

Thanks for the reply. Tom

Mark

I've used Kreem in motorcycle tanks, and have thought about using it to seal my leaky dang C5 tanks. They're split tanks like the Macs of course, and I've come to the conclusion that the stuff won't bond well to the oily old tank gaskets...........................and therefore the tanks will keep right on leaking...

Just gotta bite the bullet and split the tanks. Homelite used the thinnest, weakest little button-head slotted screws to hold those tanks together. Just getting all the screws out without snapping one off is enough of a challenge...:censored:

Old Mac find

Yesterday, wife and I were out for a drive and stopped at a junk store. There sat a McCulloch 35. Guy didn't know anything about it, has been sitting awhile (?). Won't turn over with the starter. decent paint, clean, good bar and chain. So question, anyone know about these? 1950ish? gear drive? appears crankshaft is lenghtway instead of crossway. the oil tank is stuck out in front with the bar bolted to it. By the way, You bet I brought it home. I'm a sucker for old saws of any kind.

If it's one of those lunchbox Macs, they can cut anything.

003.jpg

004.jpg

If it's one of those lunchbox Macs, they can cut anything.

003.jpg

004.jpg

if It is a lunch box 35 you're rite it does cut anything. I was riping a large mulberry stump locked the dogs in and picket it up off the ground the saw just kept cutting and didn't even feel a thing no slow down or bogging just cut it was awesome

if It is a lunch box 35 you're rite it does cut anything. I was riping a large mulberry stump locked the dogs in and picket it up off the ground the saw just kept cutting and didn't even feel a thing no slow down or bogging just cut it was awesome

Randy Mac can I have yore full rap handle on that 35 LOL.

Mark

Mark, I believe you have something with that JB Weld. I never knew it worked so well on sealing tank leaks. I poured some fuel in the 1-42 today and left it in awhile and it didn't leak anymore. That was a huge hole too! I'm glad I gave it a few days to cure but don't know if it would have made any difference.

Mark, Lee, Randy, Jacob... I am going bat#### crazy tryin' to figger out why my 795 and my 640 constantly fill the air filter/carb box up with fuel. Bigtime leaks... both saws have rebuilt HL's and new fuel lines... The 640 just now had dang near an inch of premix in there... :censored:

Gary

Only time I've had major leakage on an HL it was because I over tightented the float needle seat. I had to just barely bottom it to get it to stop. Hope that helps???

Mark, Lee, Randy, Jacob... I am going bat#### crazy tryin' to figger out why my 795 and my 640 constantly fill the air filter/carb box up with fuel. Bigtime leaks... both saws have rebuilt HL's and new fuel lines... The 640 just now had dang near an inch of premix in there... :censored:

Gary

Hi,

I can only assume, and ask the obvious question that there are no external leaks on the carb itself ? I would then point the finger at fuel passing the needle: diaphragm lever height (possible issue). Has the needle seat been changed out with a new style ?

Regards,

Chris.

Hi,

I can only assume, and ask the obvious question that there are no external leaks on the carb itself ? I would then point the finger at fuel passing the needle: diaphragm lever height (possible issue). Has the needle seat been changed out with a new style ?

Regards,

Chris.

No external leaks that I can see... but I just don't know where the hell it's coming from?

Ya know... I rebuilt them with the RK-88 kits... set the lever height to where it was level with the metering body... Like always.

These are the first 2 to do this... :dizzy:

Gary

Gary, a while back there was a pretty good thread on the Tillotson HL, perhap you saw it and forgot it was out there?

Seems to me the guy putting it together was content to switch out the metering levers rather than adjusting the height. You might have some success controlling the leakers with the metering lever set correctly. I haven't had to mess with an HL lately but I suspect they should be level with the carburetor body like the McCulloch carburetor. One thing I try to do when adjusting the lever is avoid prying it up against the needle in the seat, pry both sides to prevent jamming the needle into the seat and damaging the seat. The seat in the HL is replaceable.

I have a couple of HL leakers as well, both the needle and seats are available individually and I seem to have the best luck changing one or the other, rarely have to replace both to fix the leak.

By the way, the HL leakers are on Homelite saws, I don't seem to have many problems with the HL equipped McCullochs.

Mark

Gary, Are the fuel tank caps venting ok.
You don't want to much pressure in the tank.
The carb needle and seat might be leaking.
Wipe the entire air box and carb clean and
watch it to see where the gas is coming from.
Throat or between the body housing and plates.
I personally don't like the newer fuel pump diaphrams.
I have had them leak. I prefer the older black rubber
ones.

Lee

Back