McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super 250's here

Finally able to pick up the Super 250 at the post office today. Quite surprised at the packaging job. As well packed as the Super 55A was, this was terrible. I was astounded to find nothing broken or damaged. The wrap handle is slightly bent, but that could have happened at any time in the last 35 years.

It has 150psi compression and will fire, but the fuel line, air filter, and clutch drum are shot. May need to get into it with the dreaded flatback, too. Otherwise, I'm tickled. I've had a NOS 28" Oregon roller here on the shelf just waiting to go on it. Few parts and it'll be ready.

Making some progress with the D44, too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Meh... gascaps... schmashcaps... stupid gascaps... with the cap loose... no leaky... 795 is the same way...

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxT-J1W5LDs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxT-J1W5LDs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Gary

Well Gary, Glad you got it figured out and
she sounds damn good.
Can i send you a bill for my advise.:cheers:

Lee

Finally able to pick up the Super 250 at the post office today. Quite surprised at the packaging job. As well packed as the Super 55A was, this was terrible. I was astounded to find nothing broken or damaged. The wrap handle is slightly bent, but that could have happened at any time in the last 35 years.

It has 150psi compression and will fire, but the fuel line, air filter, and clutch drum are shot. May need to get into it with the dreaded flatback, too. Otherwise, I'm tickled. I've had a NOS 28" Oregon roller here on the shelf just waiting to go on it. Few parts and it'll be ready.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
That top picture looks like something in my deep freeze!

CPR, You have got to be kidding me.
I can't believe someone would ship a
saw that way. Well anyway you got a
nice looking saw. Congrats and hope
your able to find the parts.

Lee

Thats a nice looking Super 250 you got there. But a real crappy packing job. Those flatback carbs seam to be a PIA to me, still having trouble with mine. :clap:

CPR, You have got to be kidding me.
I can't believe someone would ship a
saw that way. Well anyway you got a
nice looking saw. Congrats and hope
your able to find the parts.

Lee

It certainly is hard to believe - but it happens. I have had several saws arrive in this same packaging config, and have been very lucky that nothing was broken or damaged. My Super 797 arrived in this way. Some guys have no idea about how rough transport companies can be with parcels.

Well done on that Super 250 CPR. You are now a proud member of the Super 250 Club that is so highly revered by its members and hopefuls. I am yet to become a member but have some feelers out there looking for a Super 250 orphan!

Good luck with getting her firing again.

Regards,

Chris.

I love how the dog's totally unfazed. Critters and neigbors ordinarily scatter on the wind when I start a saw.

That old fart is damn near deaf... prolly from all the saws and shotguns hes been around all his life. :laugh: He is a great duck dog... but alas... he's retired now. Almost 13 years old.

Well Gary, Glad you got it figured out and
she sounds damn good.
Can i send you a bill for my advise.:cheers:

Lee

Will this cover it Lee?

front.jpg

:laugh:

Gary

Thats a nice looking Super 250 you got there. But a real crappy packing job.

I don't know. I bet the guy packing it worked his butt off and thought he was doing great. Wonder what the PO thought of it. No mistaking what was being shipped.

The wrap handle is slightly bent, but that could have happened at any time in the last 35 years.

Those Mac wraps are TUFF. I doubt anything the PO could do would bend it.

Chris B.

It is possible to replace the fuel line without taking anything off, you just have to work at it a bit. Probably easier to remove the carburetor and install the tank end first then the carburetor end as you replace the carburetor.

On the older saws the fuel line had quite a large OD that helped seal it through the air box, later lines had a sort of molded grommet that would seal where the fuel line passes through the air box. Though the "clamp" was just a simple circle of wire (50742) , it really does help to seal the fuel line on both ends.

If you have to go the route of modern fuel line, you will need to install a grommet where the line goes through the air box to insure a good seal, or expect to get a lot of sawdust in there if you cut with the saw.

Mark

I decided to do the old fashioned fuel line deal, not because I'm a purist but because my modern line was all the wrong size and I did have a new piece of the correct size. It wasn't hard to do after I took the clutch cover off and got the bar and chain out of the way. I used the squeeze apart flat clamps on the line. I was correct about the old fuel line, someone had put that automotive clamp over a very leaky fuel line end. Why they didn't just replace the line then I'm not sure but it sure needed changing! It's still wet under the saw when I set it down for awhile but the air box isn't wet and the fuel tank where I repaired is dry so just may be some gas left in the saw from when the airbox was full of gas. I'll see in a few days if the saw runs any better, probably not tomorrow because it supposed to be 100 degrees and I probably won't be out much more than I have to.

Fuel line and air filter are ordered. As for the clutch drum, I'd like to find a rim and drum setup for it. It may also need new bearings in there.

Not off topic here but I just picked up a 1954 Mcculloch 4-30A for $15 yesterday. The guy said the last time it ran was the 1960's when his dad used it. I messed with it for 20 minutes and it fired up and sat at an idle. I was amazed. My question is what the cc displacement is on this saw? It seems to be bigger and more power than my 1958 Homelite Zip. Anyone know? Also, is there a compression switch or something on this...pull start is incredibly hard. The guy installed a 3-16 wire cable for pull string with big wooden handle to pull with 2 hands, one foot on handle and other foot on top of saw. :cry: Thanks

Not off topic here but I just picked up a 1954 Mcculloch 4-30A for $15 yesterday. The guy said the last time it ran was the 1960's when his dad used it. I messed with it for 20 minutes and it fired up and sat at an idle. I was amazed. My question is what the cc displacement is on this saw? It seems to be bigger and more power than my 1958 Homelite Zip. Anyone know? Also, is there a compression switch or something on this...pull start is incredibly hard. The guy installed a 3-16 wire cable for pull string with big wooden handle to pull with 2 hands, one foot on handle and other foot on top of saw. :cry: Thanks

Looks like it is an 87cc and a steel cable starter is the way it came from the factory! By the way, the Homelite Zip is just slightly smaller, around 80cc.

Last edited:
Fuel line and air filter are ordered. As for the clutch drum, I'd like to find a rim and drum setup for it. It may also need new bearings in there.

Little Red Barn in Virginia sell the rim drum set ups, check to make sure they are in stock though as the last two I ordered took around 6 months to arrive. These were the most reasonably priced new ones I found anywhere.

Cheapchainsawparts (Bryce Stott) normally as a used one or two in his e-bay store as well.

If you get in a real bind, I know a guy that has a few just setting...

Mark

Thanks Palmer.......I thought it was close to 90cc.

Also, do you know the fuel mix on the 4-30A ? The Homelite Zip uses 30W with a 4:1 ratio. I know there is a gear oil reservoir but I'm assuming it also runs a gas/oil mix ????? Thanks for any info. Mcculloch newbie

Thanks Mark........

2 billion posts is an error by the way. Although I like to think I know everything my wife reminds me otherwise.

Now it's time to put this saw on some wood !

Latest posts

Back