McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, I also have a Super 797 "so i think" because it has
the super 797 carb assembly, And it has no numbers on
the block. If i get a chance i will pull the flywheel cover
and see if there is a boost port cover. Maybe the replacement blocks didn't have the boost port but then
matt's block is painted yellow. But who knows what went
on back then.

Lee
CM76 said:
Hi

I have finished stripping the parts saw, and after a quick dip in the degreaser - here is the cylinder. I checked the bore size again to make sure and it is a tad over 57.9mm. The cylinder has been replaced on this saw, as the condition is paint free with no ID numbers stamped into it. As can be seen, the port window does not exist, and there are no holes drilled and tapped for a rear AV mount.

I think that you are right Lee - this was a Super 797. There was no crank or piston with the saw so cannot answer whether it had thick or thin rings.

Regards,

Chris.

I have five of the 797 engines and all of mine came in any configuration you guys can think of, including all described above. I too have one block with no numbers and no boost port window or cover (smooth wall inside.) I know from talking to retired Mac technicians that worked the assembly line that there were undocumented production line changes so I think we're seeing some of them here.

Chris-

Another piece of this Mac puzzle could be that McCulloch had the habit of selling cast but unfinished cylinders for the big saws to the larger saw shops and logging companies that had in-house machinists that could finish them. This was usually for the purposes of custom port timing, extra attachment points or fasteners, and different intake or exhaust manifolds. From time to time, new "unfinished" CP and SP 125 cylinders pop-up on e-bay and my dad had actually bought two unfinished 797 cylinders for his custom saws.

About a year ago I was tearing apart one of dad's SP 125s expecting to find a stock engine. Not so- I found a 797 Super block, thin-ring 101AA piston, and a Palmini super stuffer with the oiler hole drilled in it. The old man was officially a certified nut.

About a year ago I was tearing apart one of dad's SP 125s expecting to find a stock engine. Not so- I found a 797 Super block, thin-ring 101AA piston, and a Palmini super stuffer with the oiler hole drilled in it. The old man was officially a certified nut.
Did it run? And if it did, how so? :)

Chris-

Another piece of this Mac puzzle could be that McCulloch had the habit of selling cast but unfinished cylinders for the big saws to the larger saw shops and logging companies that had in-house machinists that could finish them. This was usually for the purposes of custom port timing, extra attachment points or fasteners, and different intake or exhaust manifolds. From time to time, new "unfinished" CP and SP 125 cylinders pop-up on e-bay and my dad had actually bought two unfinished 797 cylinders for his custom saws.

Thanks JJ - your Dad must have had some nice saws: Hot runners too! I have one of those unfinished SP125 cylinders you mentioned, and I hope to have it completed one day and in a saw. I also dug out a CP125 cylinder which I forgot I had, and took some pics of the lineup, in comparison to the SP125C, CP125, 797.

Here is a pic of the unfinished SP125 cylinder:

attachment.php

SP125C (front) and CP125

attachment.php

CP125 L/H side

attachment.php

CP125 R/H side

attachment.php

CP125 (right) and 797 (left)

attachment.php

The obvious differences between the three model cylinders can be seen from the above photographs.

Regards,

Chris.

Wow, I have so much to learn.

JJ, between you and your father the entire encyclopedia of big bore McCulloch mysteries has been locked up, please continue to dole it out in portions we novices can endure.

And for all you Mac guy, a few photo's from the GTG last weekend in Iroquois, IL

The 840 in big wood
attachment.php

Mike (Super3) giving the SP125 a spin
attachment.php

The 1-85 working against a Homelite
attachment.php

And another big Homelite bites the dust
attachment.php

Ed (Arrowhead) thought the SP125 was O.K. as well
attachment.php

Mark

Last edited:

JJ, between you and your father the entire encyclopedia of big bore McCulloch mysteries has been locked up, please continue to dole it out in portions we novices can endure.

And for all you Mac guy, a few photo's from the GTG last weekend in Iroquois, IL

The 840 in big wood
attachment.php

Mike (Super3) giving the SP125 a spin
attachment.php

The 1-85 working against a Homelite
attachment.php

And another big Homelite bites the dust
attachment.php

Ed (Arrowhead) thought the SP125 was O.K. as well
attachment.php

Mark

Great pics of the old school muscle in action! - thanks Mark. That is a decent log you have the 840 buried in. What length bar were you running on the day? I am assuming it was 40" plus, and the usual 1/2" chain combo. Those are some really nice saws you have in your collection, and I always enjoy the photo's of them working.

:cheers:

Chris.

Did it run? And if it did, how so? :)

Well...like everything the old man had, his saws were flat-out runners. He had a 101b kartsaw with a humongous Mikuni carb that he actually fell timber with, using a 72" bar. He pulled the Mikuni from a 300cc snowmobile engine.

Another thing the old man had that was awesome was a '68 Shovelhead ElectraGlide. It was rodded out and sounded like thunder every time he started it up.

When fire season winds down I'm going to finish buttoning up some of the old man's saws and I'll post some pics of the real monsters in his collection.

Thanks JJ - your Dad must have had some nice saws: Hot runners too! I have one of those unfinished SP125 cylinders you mentioned, and I hope to have it completed one day and in a saw. I also dug out a CP125 cylinder which I forgot I had, and took some pics of the lineup, in comparison to the SP125C, CP125, 797.

The obvious differences between the three model cylinders can be seen from the above photographs.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris- great pics of the cylinders. They show the differences in coil mounts, exhaust ports, and cooling fins. I notice the area behind the coil mounts on your CP cylinder is blank? Is there no boost ports in the cylinder? All my CP cylinders have the cast-in boost ports and the non-recessed exhaust. It looks like yours is a very early cylinder just after the transition from the 797.

And for all you Mac guy, a few photo's from the GTG last weekend in Iroquois, IL.

Mark

Mark- great pics. That looks like a real good time. Hopefully I can make one of the fall GTGs and meet some of the hardcore gear heads from here.

Great pics of the old school muscle in action! - thanks Mark. That is a decent log you have the 840 buried in. What length bar were you running on the day? I am assuming it was 40" plus, and the usual 1/2" chain combo. Those are some really nice saws you have in your collection, and I always enjoy the photo's of them working.

Chris.

I have a 48" bar on that one and yes it is 1/2" pitch chain.

attachment.php

Chris B had several bit Homelites there as well and just kept working on the big stick, one of the saws with 9/16" pitch chain was really digging out some huge chips.

attachment.php

Mark

I have a 48" bar on that one and yes it is 1/2" pitch chain.

attachment.php

Chris B had several bit Homelites there as well and just kept working on the big stick, one of the saws with 9/16" pitch chain was really digging out some huge chips.

attachment.php

Mark
Forgive me, but I have another stupid question...What do you do with all those "cookies" when you get done with your GTG?

I have five of the 797 engines and all of mine came in any configuration you guys can think of, including all described above. I too have one block with no numbers and no boost port window or cover (smooth wall inside.) I know from talking to retired Mac technicians that worked the assembly line that there were undocumented production line changes so I think we're seeing some of them here.

International Harvester Corp used to do the same thing with their "Light Line" (meaning not the MD and HD trucks) pickups and Scouts. Makes things 'interesting' for us IHC enthusiasts...

I blame Randy for my mac "yellow fever"... It is a fun, but costly thing to have! :cheers:

Mike

Yeah...............I blame Randy as well. The pics of his Super250 are burned into my head....:help:

To a.palmer jr. - in this case the neighbor came over and picked most of them up for his campfire.

In other instances they get thrown into a fire during the event (weather permitting) or burned as firewood.

I think it was Grampatractor that first said "Cookies burn too..."

Mark

Last edited:
I have two 610's and a 650 and on all of them the auto oiler doesnt work.. Which ive read is a common problem, but can i fix this and would it be worth taking the time to or just use the manual oiler? This site is awesome by the way just by reading this particular post Ive learned a lot about the Macs.

To a.palmer jr. - in this case the neighbor came over and picked most of them up for his campfire.

In other instances they get thrown into a fire during the event (weather permitting) or burned as firewood.

I think it was Grampatractor that first said "Cookies but too..."

Mark
I just wondered...seems an odd size piece of wood to do much with. As mentioned before the "cookies" I cut are usually about 18" thick (then I have to split them). I suppose a guy could bust those pieces up and put in the stove as well.
I got the patch put on my 1-42 today. I rolled up a little piece of fiberglass cloth saturated with JB Weld and stuck it in the hole in the tank. It dried harder than I expected it to and should make a pretty good fix. That was the worst spot on the saw. If it turns out to be a good running saw I may spend a little money on it and get it in better condition. The clutch cover bottom has been eaten away some and I'll probably buy a rear handle bottom for the saw..it just doesn't look right without it.

Last edited:
Well..
.like everything the old man had
, his saws were flat-out runners. He had a 101b kartsaw with a humongous Mikuni carb that he actually fell timber with, using a 72" bar. He pulled the Mikuni from a 300cc snowmobile engine.

Another thing the old man had that was awesome was a '68 Shovelhead ElectraGlide. It was rodded out and sounded like thunder every time he started it up.

When fire season winds down I'm going to finish buttoning up some of the old man's saws and I'll post some pics of the real monsters in his collection.

Chris- great pics of the cylinders. They show the differences in coil mounts, exhaust ports, and cooling fins. I notice the area behind the coil mounts on your CP cylinder is blank? Is there no boost ports in the cylinder? All my CP cylinders have the cast-in boost ports and the non-recessed exhaust. It looks like yours is a very early cylinder just after the transition from the 797.

Mark- great pics. That looks like a real good time. Hopefully I can make one of the fall GTGs and meet some of the hardcore gear heads from here.
Whose old ?

Latest posts

Back