McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad also gave me this saw as well neither of the 2 run. Believe that the carb would need to be cleaned on both due to stale gas was left in both of them.

Nobody in this area wants to work on them. So I figure that I would try to get them running.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

I've had days like that...

Couldn't win today. Hotter than, well you know. D44 is done, won't run. Has spark and fuel, not even a pop. The 1-82 was silent, the 797 barked until I got the decomp down, then fell silent, and the 011avt popped exactly once. I'm dripping in sweat and give up.

Not all bad news, I have a lead on what might turn out to be a 73...

Anyone know how to check ignition timing on a D44?

Sometimes you get the bear.................and sometimes the bear get's you...:censored:

Dad also gave me this saw as well neither of the 2 run. Believe that the carb would need to be cleaned on both due to stale gas was left in both of them.

Nobody in this area wants to work on them. So I figure that I would try to get them running.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

it isn't yellow welcome to AS.

Hi Josh,

Welcome! You certainly have come up with some really nice Macs today! That PM 850 is a great saw, and even has a bow bar attachment. There are a couple of guys on here who love the bow saws - they are a unique machine.

Good luck with getting them up and running - if you need any help, just post your questions on here, as there are alot of good guys willing to pass on top notch advice.

Well done on a couple of nice saws.

Regards,

Chris.

Wow, first a G70 bow, then a PM850 bow... Was your dad in to sports cars? If so your garage must be something else.

Sometimes you get the bear.................and sometimes the bear get's you...:censored:

Sure enough! I don't know what other's experience is, but Macs seem to be very atmospheric sensitive. I can get them going when it is 15 degrees out up to the mid 70s, but on a night like tonight where it's in the high 80's and humidity is at 100% (air so thick you can chew it), they will not run for anything. All you'll get is sweaty, p!$$ed, and a sore shoulder...

Hi Josh,

Welcome! You certainly have come up with some really nice Macs today! That PM 850 is a great saw, and even has a bow bar attachment. There are a couple of guys on here who love the bow saws - they are a unique machine.

Good luck with getting them up and running - if you need any help, just post your questions on here, as there are alot of good guys willing to pass on top notch advice.

Well done on a couple of nice saws.

Regards,

Chris.

I agree, You certainly found a couple nice
Mac's from your dad. A 10 series geardrive
is not that common and the bow on the 850
is a nice combo.
Good luck with them both.

Lee

Wow, first a G70 bow, then a PM850 bow... Was your dad in to sports cars? If so your garage must be something else.

Yeah, he was. He's has slowed way down now than what he was. He dosen't cut that much firewood anymore so he gave them to me.

I got the carb off the G-70 and man!!! Does anybody need some wood varnished. I was able to get all the passages open up. But the Diaphrams are wasted. They are falling apart and pretty much have turned to a goo like substance.

The model carb is a Tillotson HS 127B 4

Is there a place to order a repair kit??

Thanks for the compliments. I have been around this saw (G-70) since I was old enough to start carrying firewood (about 4 yrs). He has never had any work done to it that I know of. It has been an extremely reliable saw. The PM850 he got when I was about 10 and has had a little work but nothing major.

Sure enough! I don't know what other's experience is, but Macs seem to be very atmospheric sensitive. I can get them going when it is 15 degrees out up to the mid 70s, but on a night like tonight where it's in the high 80's and humidity is at 100% (air so thick you can chew it), they will not run for anything. All you'll get is sweaty, p!$$ed, and a sore shoulder...

I thought I was the only one couldn't get saw going hear it is 98 degrees and about the same percent humidity heat index 109 today 111 tomorrow and to make it worse I work on the river air so thick today I had to be pulled threw so I could get threw 6 saws 0 ran today most wont run past 85-90 degrees

I got the carb off the G-70 and man!!! Does anybody need some wood varnished. I was able to get all the passages open up. But the Diaphrams are wasted. They are falling apart and pretty much have turned to a goo like substance.

The model carb is a Tillotson HS 127B 4

Is there a place to order a repair kit??

Thanks for the compliments. I have been around this saw (G-70) since I was old enough to start carrying firewood (about 4 yrs). He has never had any work done to it that I know of. It has been an extremely reliable saw. The PM850 he got when I was about 10 and has had a little work but nothing major.

You are once again lucky my friend. The carb kit you need is RK23HS. Available from just about any saw/garden equipment parts house (Bailey's is a site sponsor here............get it from them). The Tillotson HS is extremely common, and parts are easy to find. Now the McCulloch 'bullfrog' carb with seperate primer pump is another story. There are a few blokes making diaphragms for them now (thank God), but things like check valves can be dicey. IIRC, some folks have used Homelite gas cap check valves in the 'bullfrog' carb primers with success. I don't have personal experience there though. In any case, be thankful you have the Tilly...

Eccentric, where'd you find that quote of Randy's?!?! Absolutely hilarious and spot-on!

Mine'd mention Booker's or Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, a Macanudo Maduro, Hornady TAP's in an Armalite, and NO HIPPIES!

Last edited:
it isn't yellow welcome to AS.

I wouldn't know why anybody in your area wouldn't want to work on these saws..they're not that difficult to work on and parts are available for those carburetors. If I might suggest..since they've been out of action for awhile you might check the fuel lines while you're doing the carburetor, they sometimes turn to mush, especially if gas was left in them.

I thought I was the only one couldn't get saw going hear it is 98 degrees and about the same percent humidity heat index 109 today 111 tomorrow and to make it worse I work on the river air so thick today I had to be pulled threw so I could get threw 6 saws 0 ran today most wont run past 85-90 degrees

Just for the heck of it I went out to the garage and fired up the Homie XL I've been working on. Started on second pull..I cut one sliver off a piece of 12" oak and put the saw back up. It was in the mid to high 90s here today. I didn't try to start anything else, too hot to stay out there!

I wouldn't know why anybody in your area wouldn't want to work on these saws..they're not that difficult to work on and parts are available for those carburetors. If I might suggest..since they've been out of action for awhile you might check the fuel lines while you're doing the carburetor, they sometimes turn to mush, especially if gas was left in them.

not too many people know what they're doing or just afraid Ive bean in the stihl shop (their friends of mine)and have Sean saws brought in they say it doesn't work rite its only 3years old you no how it goes but never put bare oil in or sharpened the chain things like that is 40 percent of the things they do also the JD.dealer is to hi and stupid last year my boss took his stihl weedeater in even after I told him I could fix it they sent it bake said nothing wrong with it $75.00 still wasn't working I pulled out the spark screen told him the cost is listen to me next time and walked away its still running great but I only work on saws for people that don't have the money or women that lost their husband people like that last year I gave away 8 saws to people that couldn't pay for heat but had a wood burner also I gave away 3 wood stoves this is a small town I got some saws donated from my brothers x boss 3x bypass this spring he sold his company now don't have any coming in and I cant afford them the echo and mac I just got will probably go this year I'm a very poor person but there are worse than me out their fixing Thea's saws and stuff is what I can do to help

Thanks I always try to remember to do that but its usually the thing I forget and you just reminded me I need fuel line I'm out in this town I have some of the biggest saws I guess cause even my comango scares them and a 1/2in chain will almost make them poo their shorts they just don't no saws

Just for the heck of it I went out to the garage and fired up the Homie XL I've been working on. Started on second pull..I cut one sliver off a piece of 12" oak and put the saw back up. It was in the mid to high 90s here today. I didn't try to start anything else, too hot to stay out there!

show off even my 35A didn't want to run today

Eccentric, where'd you find that quote of Randy's?!?! Absolutely hilarious and spot-on!

Mine'd mention Booker's or Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, a Macanudo Maduro, Hornady TAP's in an Armalite, and NO HIPPIES!

It was from this post of Randy's:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2294549&postcount=19

In this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=140270

How'd I find it?

Well................Metals406 has (in his siggy) another quote of Randy's from a post earlier in the same thread that I quoted from:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2294521&postcount=15

I clicked the little blue arrow dealie to the right of "Originaly posted by RandyMac" and I was taken to the post it was quoted from. Read through the whole thread.............................and grabbed that other little pearl of Randy's wisdom for my siggy...:cheers:

My version would have Knob Creek (or Glenlivet) on the rocks, a Macanudo Maduro (good choice), Hornady 300gr XTP's in my Redhawk, and a street free of running hybrids........
Ya see..............neither Randy or I feel the urge to actualy kill them skanky hippies and Pius, self-important leftist liberal enviro-whacko's (well maybe just a little)...............that's why he's only "shooting at" them (while drinkin' and smokin') in the quote (and with a rimfire)....:givebeer::agree2:

Last edited:
Just remember, what you say can/will be used against you.....not that I personally give a ####.

I figured you didn't care...........since you posted it first! I'm no stranger to the "can/will be used against you" deal. Getting to where I don't give a #### either. I'll just have to not actualy shoot any Prius', as they'll use this thread against me in court.........:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back