McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Red Barn in Virginia sell the rim drum set ups, check to make sure they are in stock though as the last two I ordered took around 6 months to arrive. These were the most reasonably priced new ones I found anywhere.

Cheapchainsawparts (Bryce Stott) normally as a used one or two in his e-bay store as well.

If you get in a real bind, I know a guy that has a few just setting...

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I'll check with Bryce, I've gotten a fair bit of stuff from him before and I may give Discount Marine a shout as well since I've had such good luck with them.

EDIT: Bryce had one, on the way here!

Last edited:
Major advances on the D44 this evening. The carb had been in a coffee can for weeks waiting to be rebuilt and installed. Down to 12 minutes for an HL not counting the welch plugs which I've only had to do once before. Anyway, when I reinstalled the carb, I noticed that the air vane governor has been overridden with a different throttle linkage plate. My other D44 has a non-working governor lever, so it is overridden, too.

attachment.php

I just got an Eager Beaver never seen one other than pictures cute little things anyway are they worth a :censored:eek:r should I get rid of it its clean -working and all their except I don't think the oil cap is original

I just got an Eager Beaver never seen one other than pictures cute little things anyway are they worth a :censored:eek:r should I get rid of it its clean -working and all their except I don't think the oil cap is original

If it's running and all there, why not keep it. They're good for cutting limbs with, besides they don't bring too much money. The oil cap is up to you. If it oils and doesn't leak or look too shabby keep it too.

If it's running and all there, why not keep it. They're good for cutting limbs with, besides they don't bring too much money. The oil cap is up to you. If it oils and doesn't leak or look too shabby keep it too.

thank you it was free all I had to do is get 3 saws cleaned up and running and I got the choice of 2 saws to keep I gave him bake the homelite xl I kept the beaver and the echo 260?

Not off topic here but I just picked up a 1954 Mcculloch 4-30A for $15 yesterday. The guy said the last time it ran was the 1960's when his dad used it. I messed with it for 20 minutes and it fired up and sat at an idle. I was amazed. My question is what the cc displacement is on this saw? It seems to be bigger and more power than my 1958 Homelite Zip. Anyone know? Also, is there a compression switch or something on this...pull start is incredibly hard. The guy installed a 3-16 wire cable for pull string with big wooden handle to pull with 2 hands, one foot on handle and other foot on top of saw. :cry: Thanks

4 HP-30#. Tom

the echo isn't working yet and I thought he should get the better of the 3 and 2 free saws cant complain

Then again it depends on which XL we're talking about. They made a little one and a big one. I have both..the little one is lightweight and good for limbing but the big one is better if you're cutting bigger wood.

I can pick up the little XLs pretty cheap..we even had some members wanting to give them away so you did well to keep the Mac and echo.

thank you the homelite doesn't look as nice as the Mac anyway but I realy give him the best runner it was the rite thing to do.Fannie never thought I would see being told to keep a home over a Mac on a Mac thread L0OL..IF you still no of any of these guys that have any of these saws to give away I could use the parts or fix up for other people that realy need them mostly the parts for some reason it seams I'm the only saw repair in 30 miles and I cant find many parts for the saws I'm asked to repair I just do it to be nice most people around hear are poor and cant afford or get to the shop so I fix it for them at no cost unless I gotta pay for a part then they pay only for that but if it is an old part siting around I don't charge them not even for my work and I only charge $2.00-$5.00 for a sharpening so I realy could use free saws and parts

Hi everybody, new to the site. Got a few questions about a Mcculloch Chainsaw. My dad has given me his old saw that he has had since before I was born. He told me that it is a G70. My questions.

Model# 60011602
Serial# 11-060816

What type of duty is this saw, Homeowner, professional?
Was this a popular saw in its time?
Can you tell about what year or vintage it is from the pictures?
Can you still purchase parts for this saw and if so where at?
Thanks in advance.

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

You have a rare one. So far as I know, engine parts should readily interchange with 10 series saws. That's a keeper for sure, rep on the way.

Couldn't win today. Hotter than, well you know. D44 is done, won't run. Has spark and fuel, not even a pop. The 1-82 was silent, the 797 barked until I got the decomp down, then fell silent, and the 011avt popped exactly once. I'm dripping in sweat and give up.

Not all bad news, I have a lead on what might turn out to be a 73...

Anyone know how to check ignition timing on a D44?

Thanks for the link.

So only 2 years of production.

What about parts, are they available?
This saw has been used extensively. I couldn't began to tell you how many truck loads of firewood this saw has cut over the last 30 years.

The automactic oiler doesnt work.
The Bow is wore out, would like to get another if not a bar will do.
Don't know about compression haven't check.
Trying to see if this is worth repairing or not.

Anyone know how to check ignition timing on a D44?

Hi,

To check the timing on the D44, you insert a 1/4" 'timing pin' through the crankcase cover and rotate the flywheel until the pin enters the timing hole in the flywheel. At this point the breaker points should be just starting to open, and adjust accordingly. After making this adjustment, remove the timing pin and rotate the flywheel until the points are at their maximum gap. check that the gap is approx 0.018".

Good luck with that 73.

Regards,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back