McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Paxton was an outgrowth of the McCulloch blower and Paxton Products was bought by Studebaker in 1962. At that time STP operated as a division of Paxton Products and is what brought Andy Granatelli to Studebaker.

I have a supercharged 1964 Studebaker Avanti (R-2) with a 4 speed transmission if your dad still wants one.....

I'll let my Dad know about your Avanti. I'd be surprised if he's interested at this point though..............as he's going on 69 years of age, and his priorities have changed a tad. I believe the Avanti he looked at way back when was a '63 with an auto. I'd prefer a 4-speed like yours...:givebeer:

Paxton was indeed Robert McCulloch's middle name. Also, his father in law was Stephen Briggs of Briggs and Stratton fame. Paxton was actually a separate company that was later sold to Studebaker.

Six degrees of sepperation...:cheers:

The Super 550, the 790/890, and 795/895 are all 103 CC, 2.217 bore x 1.635 stroke. I always assumed the Super saws had a bit more aggressive porting, why else call them Super? I don't have anything to prove it but that was the way I understood it. May be just another good example of McCulloch marketing genius.

Mark

My understanding is the 550 is 99cc, the S550 is 103cc, and 890 is a slightly detuned 103cc. FWIW, I love the 550. Aside from the reputation the S250 has, it seems to me to be a near ideal saw.

I don't intend to ditch the 890 engine. I'm sure I can find a frame to fit it in.

Chris B.

I want to put a gearbox off a 660, on a Super 550.

Ok I am dead ass broke, and can no longer afford to fix any of my projects. A 797 just came up on ebay with a buy it now and it is mine!!!! I feel bad that I just spent every spare penny to my name, but boy am I happy to be getting a 797!:clap::cheers:

Ok I am dead ass broke, and can no longer afford to fix any of my projects. A 797 just came up on ebay with a buy it now and it is mine!!!! I feel bad that I just spent every spare penny to my name, but boy am I happy to be getting a 797!:clap::cheers:

Yeah.......that's what buying that Mac77 did to me. I recently got outbid on a couple of nice Super 250's with full wraps. Oh well...:givebeer:

Congratulations on the Mac 797 score. Hope it works out for you. Yer gonna need to start a new thread for the 797...............................you realize that right?:cheers:

Last edited:
I will start a new thread for it. Shouldnt take alot to get it running. Says it has some gummed gas in tank and missing compression release. Also has a 28" roller nose bar on it.:clap:

I will start a new thread for it. Shouldnt take alot to get it running. Says it has some gummed gas in tank and missing compression release. Also has a 28" roller nose bar on it.:clap:

Brian nice score getting a 797...I got one of a few on my list.

Has anyone ever thought about taking your precious 250 and making it a gear drive???

I'm just sayin'... don't bring your personal garbage into the thread Calvin.

Sell your parts... no need to let everyone know your personal BS.

If you haven't gathered... no one is talkin' about the NEW POS McCullochs... all old school iron.

Gary

That's it in a nutshell. The sob story is tiring. Change your business model if that's what it takes. I'll buy parts from you if I see what I need. I shop like a Navy SEAL, get in, get out, get what I need. If I see the parts at the right price, I'll buy, if not I keep moving. I don't want to call a guy who knows a guy who might have what I need...

Sorry I came off as a I did, I suppose I should have said what I meant in the first place.

Randy mentioned just a little while ago about mating a Super 250 and a 660. I think I will keep mine as is.:) I cant wait to get the 797 in my hands. I am going to have to find those cylinder numbers so I can double check when it gets here.:clap:

Randy mentioned just a little while ago about mating a Super 250 and a 660. I think I will keep mine as is.:) I cant wait to get the 797 in my hands. I am going to have to find those cylinder numbers so I can double check when it gets here.:clap:

A Super 250 with a gearbox is also known as a 660, I want the 103cc Super 550 with a gearbox, call it a 680.

Bri, the magic number is 66251, both of mine have that #.

A Super 250 with a gearbox is also known as a 660, I want the 103cc Super 550 with a gearbox, call it a 680.

Bri, the magic number is 66251, both of mine have that #.

I was just on acres looking at the 660. in the pic the looks to be auto oil but he says it is not. Can you make it auto oil if it is not? how hard are they to find?

Back