McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember who did the SP125 in the
800 series but never did see a video of it.
Lee

That was me who built that saw. Remember, I hijacked your first 797G thread. I should have brought that saw to the GTG, but I thought it had carb issues. Turns out, I had brain issues. Anyway, it's still kicking. I couldn't put the gearcase on an SP125 frame due to fuel tank clearance.

If I had something worth cutting, I might get a video.

Chris B.

So I wuz at the saw shop last week... gettin' a loop of 1/2" chain spun up... yakkin' with my buds in there about big chain and one cat says... "Hang on, I got somethin' for ya."

4 loops of unused Oregon 1/2" chain... all very long loops. Kicker is... one of them (the longest loop) is square ground chisel... YES!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Price? $25 bucks for all 4... :laugh:

Gary

So I wuz at the saw shop last week... gettin' a loop of 1/2" chain spun up... yakkin' with my buds in there about big chain and one cat says... "Hang on, I got somethin' for ya."

4 loops of unused Oregon 1/2" chain... all very long loops. Kicker is... one of them (the longest loop) is square ground chisel... YES!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

You lucky dog.
I wish i could find a good
loop of some 1/2 chisel.

Lee

That was me who built that saw. Remember, I hijacked your first 797G thread. I should have brought that saw to the GTG, but I thought it had carb issues. Turns out, I had brain issues. Anyway, it's still kicking. I couldn't put the gearcase on an SP125 frame due to fuel tank clearance.

If I had something worth cutting, I might get a video.

Chris B.

My memory is coming back.
I never did see the finished product.
Were you able to put the gearcase on
a 123cc saw.

Lee

Different Gary, but having been involved with Studebakers for over 35 years they are both overpriced. The VS-57 was used on the '57 & '58 Studebaker Golden Hawks as well as the '57 Packards. The '63 and '64 Studebakers used Paxton blowers.

The supercharger units are not that rare, it is the associated parts to convert an engine to a supercharger (i.e. water manifold, brackets, etc.) that will run you big bucks.

By the way, there was even a kit for installing a Paxton blower on a 4 cylinder IH Scout!

As an aside, I do not know Calvin, but I do tire of the constant "woe is me" threads that are posted. I have not worked since April 15, 2009, but that is not something that I share on this forum.... Lets keep responses saw related and on topic.

Yep. I agree. Crazy fleabay pricing in action. There were also at least two more AV57's on fleabay for a lot less moolah. Isn't the Paxton an evolution of the McCulloch (I've seen the term Paxton-McCulloch used before)? My Dad almost bought a used supercharded Avante when he got out of the Navy in '68. Test drove it, and was in negotiations with the seller......but a deal never panned out. He still wishes he'd gotten it. He had a Hawk and a Lark before that. He's a big fan of Lowrey's designs, and was surprised when I told him that the Letter Series Farmalls had sheet metal designed by Lowrey. Now his son is an IHC nut. Six degrees of sepperation...:agree2:

There was a fellow on one of the International Harvester boards that I belong to that said he had a non-functional Paxton SC on one of his I4 Scouts. Bought it that way. Never got pics from him, and he disappeared from the board years ago. I'd love to have an SC for my 67 Scout 800 with its 196 I4! Those IHC fours are neat engines. Basicaly 1/2 of their 304 (152) and 392 (196) V8's. They use just about all of the V8 parts except the cranks, blocks, carbs, intake manifolds, and distributors. Pistons, heads, and most of the rest of the parts interchange. The IHC I4/V8 valve covers have both firing orders stamped into them.:cheers:

Didja know that there was a turbocharged version of the 152 I4 available in the Scouts for a few years? I believe it was the same turbocharger (but with different details of course) that was used on the turbocharged Corvairs. IHC dropped it once they brought out the 'bigger' I4 (the 196) as it performed as well or better than the smaller turbo four without the complications and expense of the turbo setup. I believe a couple of enterprising fellows have adapted the turbo setup to the 196. Gotta do some digging in the archives to find the threads...:givebeer:

Absolutely the 125 motor fit into the 890 frame. Only 2 issues--I had to cut a hole in the cylinder shroud for the decomp and due to spark plug sticking further out on the 125 motor than the 890 motor, the hinged cylinder shroud doesn't close very well, but it does close. I also had to use the 890 carb (Mac flatback for 103cc) as I didn't have anything else to fit--not much clearance in that airbox. Maybe someone has a 797 carb I can use....

Anyway, like any Mcculloch this one will bite if you don't pay attention.

I probably should have spent some time cleaning the bar.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Wow Gary. Great score! That's like winning the lotto and catching a live unicorn, all in the same afternoon...:cheers:

I know it's just an optical illusion..............but the SG chain on the top looks bigger than the other loops.......like it's 9/16" instead of 1/2".:givebeer:

Oh, and that frankengeardrive Mac you built looks awesome Chris. Your collection of Internationals and big-inch chainsaws makes me green with envy!

Last edited:
I need help with my 35A it starts and runs great but stalls out wen I get to 1/2 throttle cant figure it out.--Help pleas

890SP video

Just loafing on the grass....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrRzbc_nnnU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrRzbc_nnnU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Holy crap! that saw revving is like a lions roar and that idling is like the rumble of thunder.

I need a big mac. (a saw, not mcdonalds)

Gary
Wow that was a deal. I looked on ebay just for the hell of it to see what 1\2" chain went for and it was 50$ for about 50 link loops or about 2$ a link from a guy in the UK. That was a steal!
Just loafing on the grass....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrRzbc_nnnU&hl=en&fs=1"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrRzbc_nnnU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is a mean sounding saw, and I bet the video does not do it justice. Sounds like it should have two wheels attached!

Absolutely the 125 motor fit into the 890 frame. Only 2 issues--I had to cut a hole in the cylinder shroud for the decomp and due to spark plug sticking further out on the 125 motor than the 890 motor, the hinged cylinder shroud doesn't close very well, but it does close. I also had to use the 890 carb (Mac flatback for 103cc) as I didn't have anything else to fit--not much clearance in that airbox. Maybe someone has a 797 carb I can use....

Anyway, like any Mcculloch this one will bite if you don't pay attention.

I probably should have spent some time cleaning the bar.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As Gary Said, Suh-Weet
Glad you have it done. I don't think
you would notice a change with the
797 carb as it shares the same bore
as the 103cc saws. I like to use the
small kart carbs with the .940 bore.
There a tab bigger than the 797 carb.
What spark plug are you using. I use
the champion DJ8 with the tapered seat,
I believe thats what the 125 calls for.

Lee

Yep. I agree. Crazy fleabay pricing in action. There were also at least two more AV57's on fleabay for a lot less moolah. Isn't the Paxton an evolution of the McCulloch (I've seen the term Paxton-McCulloch used before)? My Dad almost bought a used supercharded Avante when he got out of the Navy in '68. Test drove it, and was in negotiations with the seller......but a deal never panned out. He still wishes he'd gotten it. He had a Hawk and a Lark before that.

The Paxton was an outgrowth of the McCulloch blower and Paxton Products was bought by Studebaker in 1962. At that time STP operated as a division of Paxton Products and is what brought Andy Granatelli to Studebaker.

I have a supercharged 1964 Studebaker Avanti (R-2) with a 4 speed transmission if your dad still wants one.....

What spark plug are you using. I use
the champion DJ8 with the tapered seat,
I believe thats what the 125 calls for.
Lee

I haven't the foggiest idea what is in there. I guess it is worth checking. Where does one find the small kart carbs and how do you know what the bore size is?

Now, my next dilemma is what to do with the 890 motor I took out. I recall that it was in good shape and had great compression. Mark H. tells me it does not have the same porting as S550's 103cc motor, that it is somewhat detuned. Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, I'll be a member of the Super 250 club soon. Do I owe dues, or can I be a scab?

Chris B.

The Paxton was an outgrowth of the McCulloch blower and Paxton Products was bought by Studebaker in 1962. At that time STP operated as a division of Paxton Products and is what brought Andy Granatelli to Studebaker.

I have a supercharged 1964 Studebaker Avanti (R-2) with a 4 speed transmission if your dad still wants one.....

I believe I read somewhere that Paxton was Robert McCulloch's middle name and the Paxton blower was just a mareting scheme

I haven't the foggiest idea what is in there. I guess it is worth checking. Where does one find the small kart carbs and how do you know what the bore size is?

Now, my next dilemma is what to do with the 890 motor I took out. I recall that it was in good shape and had great compression. Mark H. tells me it does not have the same porting as S550's 103cc motor, that it is somewhat detuned. Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, I'll be a member of the Super 250 club soon. Do I owe dues, or can I be a scab?

Chris B.

Well, I think you need to check the plug.
If you have a J8 it will be to long.
As far as the Kart carb's, I find them on ebay
and always ask questions as for bore size
and numbers. 48890 is one good number.

Not sure on the porting, but i thought the 550
was a 99cc saw. Not sure on the S550. The 890
is a good motor and i'm sure you could sell it
with out much trouble.

Congrats on the Super 250 club, I joined a couple
months ago. I found a pretty clean one and runs
sweet.

Lee

Not sure on the porting, but i thought the 550
was a 99cc saw. Not sure on the S550. The 890
is a good motor and i'm sure you could sell it
with out much trouble.

Congrats on the Super 250 club, I joined a couple
months ago. I found a pretty clean one and runs
sweet.

Lee

My understanding is the 550 is 99cc, the S550 is 103cc, and 890 is a slightly detuned 103cc. FWIW, I love the 550. Aside from the reputation the S250 has, it seems to me to be a near ideal saw.

I don't intend to ditch the 890 engine. I'm sure I can find a frame to fit it in.

Chris B.

I believe I read somewhere that Paxton was Robert McCulloch's middle name and the Paxton blower was just a mareting scheme

Paxton was indeed Robert McCulloch's middle name. Also, his father in law was Stephen Briggs of Briggs and Stratton fame. Paxton was actually a separate company that was later sold to Studebaker.

Back