McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's not turn this into a "buckin'" thread... it's all about McCullochs mang...

Gary

Gary's the voice of reason. Hope to get into the Mac77 carb a bit this weekend. Wish me luck on that one fellas. Gotta get a bar stud somewhere too. Probably will get a Mac 4-30 bar clamp/adjuster assembly for it from Randy or somebody else here.

Once I get it squared away, I'll be looking to trade it for a nice Super250 or big-inch direct drive saw such as a 790, 795, or 797 (my 'wish saw' would be a 797L). The 77 is a magnificent old piece of Mac history, but not quite what I'm looking for...:givebeer:

Don. http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

APJr
Not much in normal wood.
However, in the big stuff, OG Redwoods in particular, the wedges can be pressed into the wood, rendering them useless and possibly losing them.
Bucking without wedges is a usefull thing to know, regardless of size or type of wood.
I'll go soak my fingers in asprin, and maybe got a start on it later tonight.

cottonwood will do that also

Gary's the voice of reason. Hope to get into the Mac77 carb a bit this weekend. Wish me luck on that one fellas. Gotta get a bar stud somewhere too. Probably will get a Mac 4-30 bar clamp/adjuster assembly for it from Randy or somebody else here.

Once I get it squared away, I'll be looking to trade it for a nice Super250 or big-inch direct drive saw such as a 790, 795, or 797 (my 'wish saw' would be a 797L). The 77 is a magnificent old piece of Mac history, but not quite what I'm looking for...:givebeer:
Good luck with that 77. Hope you get it running. There is a Super 250 on ebay right now. Still has a couple of days to go.

Speaking of Ebay...

I hope Gary doesn't beat me for cross-posting this (also in the CL/ebay thread).....but I had to share this with you MacHeads. No relation to the seller, etc etc etc...

I know it's not a saw (and is painted RED)...........but it is still a fine example of the brilliant mind of Mr. McCulloch. Check out the Flying Goose cast into the housing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McCU...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's another one that's not so pretty.............but nowhere near as spendy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
So what did I find here?

Dropped by the scrapyard today and came home with a little Eager Beaver and this pile o' parts for $10:

attachment.php

Not a Mac, but in front is a smaller J-red. Not sure what model since I'm not really familiar with them, but maybe a 520 or something?

The starter is hooped on the little guy, so I don't know if it's locked up or not yet. Its only physical issue is the severely bent handle, but I'm pretty sure I have a couple others that would fit. The two big oldies turn over but not really smooth; the piston looks OK thru the exhaust on the one that's missing the muffler though.

At first I thought the two bigguns were identical, but the gear drive covers are different, and one has a straight rear handle while the other has a curved profile to it. I have no idea what model either are though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't even know if this is from a saw, but it was painted Mac yellow (give or take) and was sitting in the same bin, so I nabbed it. It does have a glass sediment bowl at the bottom-right corner, which you can barely see in the photo.

attachment.php

That's a BIG sprocket. I'm not familiar with anything over .404 really, but this looks like it might even be bigger than 1/2"; perhaps 9/16"? The other saw didn't have a sprocket on it.

Last edited:
Look in the 'webbed' section of the left side of the rear handle brace on those saws. There is a long, thin flat 'pad' where the serial # should be. Should see "77-1234" or something like that. The "77" in my example would mean it the saw is Mac 77. My Mac77 looks similar to the saw with the "X" shaped sight glass on its gearcase. I think that saw may be a 49 or a 77. I think the other saw is a 4-30, or something similar. The Homelite experts here will know for sure.

I could sure use the front bar stud and the bumper spike from the saw with the "X" sight glass. Let me know if you wanna part it out. The stud is held on by one nut (backside of the bumper spike). I believe it either pulls out or threads out after the nut is removed.:cheers:

The mystery part is some sort of auger or brushcutter gearbox attachment I believe. Made to fit one of the Mac saws such as a 33/35/39. I could easily be wrong however...:givebeer:

Its a carb off McCulloch two man saw, models 1225A,5-49,7-55,99

attachment.php

Man.............I dig old Macs..
But they took their carburetors WAY to seriously. They all seem to be designed by comittee. Not looking forward to getting into the carb on my 77. I'll breath a sigh of relief once I'm done with that one...:censored:

I don't have any photo's to prove it yet, but this week I finished up the first saw from the big box I received earlier this year. I started with one of the McCulloch SP105's. Saw would start and run but it needed a really good cleaning so I stripped it down, cleaned it up in the parts washer, then ran a bunch of the parts through the dishwasher in my shop. Seems there was a lot of magnesium exposed and heat and moisture in the diswasher raised a lot of oxidation. Finally I had to sand blast the fuel tank and a few other bits then give them a coat of black paint.

I am amazed at how easily this saw starts and with 150 PSI compression it should still pull pretty well too. I didn't want to put one of the old style wide/heavy bars on this saw so I found a nice 26" sprocket nose bar left over from one of the 10 Series saw and modified the slot to fit the 3/8" studs on the 105.

I have a whole load a saw stashed away now getting ready for Baraboo next weekend so I won't be able to post any photo's for a while.

Sorry,

Mark

I'm just sayin'... don't bring your personal garbage into the thread Calvin.

Sell your parts... no need to let everyone know your personal BS.

If you haven't gathered... no one is talkin' about the NEW POS McCullochs... all old school iron.

Gary

I'm just sayin'... don't bring your personal garbage into the thread Calvin.

Sell your parts.
.. no need to let everyone know your personal BS.

If you haven't gathered... no one is talkin' about the NEW POS McCullochs... all old school iron.

Gary

I would if people knew they existed yes i have sources that have the old school stuff but i wont use them sources unless i get requests for it

I hope Gary doesn't beat me for cross-posting this (also in the CL/ebay thread).....but I had to share this with you MacHeads. No relation to the seller, etc etc etc...

I know it's not a saw (and is painted RED)...........but it is still a fine example of the brilliant mind of Mr. McCulloch. Check out the Flying Goose cast into the housing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McCU...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's another one that's not so pretty.............but nowhere near as spendy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Different Gary, but having been involved with Studebakers for over 35 years they are both overpriced. The VS-57 was used on the '57 & '58 Studebaker Golden Hawks as well as the '57 Packards. The '63 and '64 Studebakers used Paxton blowers.

The supercharger units are not that rare, it is the associated parts to convert an engine to a supercharger (i.e. water manifold, brackets, etc.) that will run you big bucks.

By the way, there was even a kit for installing a Paxton blower on a 4 cylinder IH Scout!

As an aside, I do not know Calvin, but I do tire of the constant "woe is me" threads that are posted. I have not worked since April 15, 2009, but that is not something that I share on this forum.... Lets keep responses saw related and on topic.

Back