McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I dont have a lot of experience in the world of Mcculloch, and my first saw was not most peoples first choice in projects. But does it seem like these old saws are like being married, they piss you off as much as they make you happy.

Btw thanks cpr or out bidding me on that Supper 55 you got. I would not have been able to get the 797 if I would have won that one:).

No saws are better---If they are nagging you you can get away from them and they don't bring bad things up from 5 years ago---A wife will follow you and bring things up from 5 years ago like it was yesterday

I know I dont have a lot of experience in the world of Mcculloch, and my first saw was not most peoples first choice in projects. But does it seem like these old saws are like being married, they piss you off as much as they make you happy.

Btw thanks cpr or out bidding me on that Supper 55 you got. I would not have been able to get the 797 if I would have won that one:).

what was youre first saw project?

McCulloch event this week

On Tuesday evening this week I stopped by to visit with AS member Ike Holtz and in the course of the evening I traded him an SP105 with 26" bar and 3/8 chain for a Super 797 power head. Both saws run very well, I hope to find a bar and chain to install on the 797 and play with it a bit tomorrow at the Baraboo event.

On Wednesday morning I was able to meet Boda65 on the road and transfer the NIB PM800 and a well used Super 250 I had for him. Jim tempted me with a NIB 610 in return, but somehow I managed to resist the temptation.

Jim and two of his youngsters with the 800 and S250 - you know we never even opened the PM800 box to have a look...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went through Madison, WI this afternoon on my way to Baraboo and stopped by to see AS member mowisme. He had several old well used McCulloch saws and was willing to trade them straight up for spike bar to install on his PM700.

In the lot are a 1-70 with very low compression, a late model 250 with some compression, a saw that likely started life as a D36 but has been refit with a left hand starter, and some strange 300 Series small saw with the largest black plastic rear handle I have ever seen on a small saw. In addition he had a box with several loops of .404 and .375 chain to add just for good measure.

Sorry, darkness on Monday night and rain tonight precluded any photo's. I will make sure to acquire the proper documentation tomorrow to verify that I am telling the truth.

Mark

what was youre first saw project?

My first Mac project was/is a Super 250 that had seen better days.

Wow Mark that sounds like a very productive trip. You ever come to Florida? I have been reading the recent posts here about the flatback carbs and going over your thread and I am learning a lot of what I have learned about carbs working on modern saws do not apply. I am still a little foggy with the idle governor. Next I get to figure out the whole primer thing.

That sounds like fun Brian---My first was a 53 D-65 Clinton my first Mac is a 35-A having troubles with it---I cant get it to full throttle it will idle all day go to half throttle just fine but wont go to full throttle---Any ideas anyone

What kind of carburetor is on your 35? If it is a flatback is it possible you could have some crap in the check valve behind the welch plug?

the 35-A doesn't have a carb its more like a fuel pump inside the fuel tank---Tell me more about the flat backs Iv bean trying to understand but you guys use too many abbreviations for me to understand cause I have 4 saws with those

the 35-A doesn't have a carb its more like a fuel pump inside the fuel tank---Tell me more about the flat backs Iv bean trying to understand but you guys use too many abbreviations for me to understand cause I have 4 saws with those

I wish I could help you out with those, but I am still learning myself. A lot of people do Tilly swaps to get rid of those Mac carbs. But if you havnt already, read Marks thread on them. Each time I read it and go work on mine I learn something else. I think if I read it about 100 times more I will have those carbs down:).

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=122113

maybe their not flat backs they look almost the same---Does it mater how old it is or if its off a Mac or not---They are tallies however

That means you guys let saw-kings 895 open to others!!! LOL

Not a bad looking Super 44 Buddy,
I see yours has the optional wood
pull start handle. I have a few saws
with the same type handle. There kinda
rare you know.
I like the wrench but not sure if it's the
original, It very well could be.

Lee
Thanks Lee, I like the custom handle too. :)
Im not sure about the wrench, but thats just what my Great Uncle told me about saw and wrench, I am hoping the owners manual shows up too.

But I do know without the wrench, taking off the b/c are a task:dizzy:

Should have took some pictures after I wiped it down again, doesnt look to bad, and I know it wasnt ever abused

Thanks Lee, I like the custom handle too. :)
Im not sure about the wrench, but thats just what my Great Uncle told me about saw and wrench, I am hoping the owners manual shows up too.

But I do know without the wrench, taking off the b/c are a task:dizzy:

Should have took some pictures after I wiped it down again, doesnt look to bad, and I know it wasnt ever abused

That saw looks in good shape LP, I like the rigid recoil housing!
Seems everyone got a little mac in there stash this week!:clap::clap::clap:

bar problem

the bar needing a fix
attachment.php
the brace, cleaned up with new ss screws
attachment.php
set 'em up joe... i wish, problems is i can't get to a bar. this mac 795 handlebar is broken and i'm having trouble finding a relacement. even thought of splicing a corner on if i can find a wrecked bar with the corner i need, hell any corner(bar) will do.
the one i have meas. 9" wide X 11" high on the inside. that's what the strut/mount meas. across the front where the bar fits.
are there many different sizes on these? seems like it's pretty much written in metal.
the tubing is 7/8"o.d.

the bar needing a fix
attachment.php
the brace, cleaned up with new ss screws
attachment.php
set 'em up joe... i wish, problems is i can't get to a bar. this mac 795 handlebar is broken and i'm having trouble finding a relacement. even thought of splicing a corner on if i can find a wrecked bar with the corner i need, hell any corner(bar) will do.
the one i have meas. 9" wide X 11" high on the inside. that's what the strut/mount meas. across the front where the bar fits.
are there many different sizes on these? seems like it's pretty much written in metal.
the tubing is 7/8"o.d.

Hmmm

My Mac 77 IPL lists 1/4", 5/16", and 9/32" files. That's fer some big chains! Also lists Oregon 'Gaugit' tools for .020/.030" through .060/.065" raker depths. .065" is really diggin' deep!:givebeer:

I'm talkin' with Joe of Sugar Creek Saws about him making gasket/diaphragm kits for Mac 77 and Mac 33/35/39 series saw carbs. Hope he can make it happen!:givebeer:

Back