McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a McCulloch Power Mac 310, for the price I paid for it it was probably worth it, the chainbrake and oil mechanism needs a bit of work but that's about it. Perhaps repaint it and clean it all out.

Thanks Lee,

I will try to get some photo's tonight of the saws I picked up last week. The 1-70, 250, and D-36 are all pretty well worn, the Super 797 is in very nice shape and has been repainted, I also found a LeSabre, 640 Bow, and Titan 57 at Baraboo that came home with me.

Mark

Teddy - Last weekend at the Baraboo, WI show Kevin Krotenko from Pelly, SK brought a Jonsered XA. When the saw was running, it was hard to distinquish from any of the other old saws. I heard second hand that it required a mixture of diesel and kerosene to run properly. The exhaust did not smell particularly of diesel.

attachment.php

Now, let's get back to McCullochs. The 640 with bow bar somehow managed to get home with me.

attachment.php

Mark

Now understand that only the 640 with the bow came home with in from that lot, oh yeah and the Titan 57 that was connected to the 18" McCulloch bar you see sticking out in the lower right hand corner.

Here it last weeks hauls spread out on my floor, minus the Titan 57 which is already in storage in the "ready to use" saw barn.

R-L; Super 797 (I added the bar & chain), 640 Bow, LeSabre, Late 250, 1-70, D-36 hybrid, some odd ball 300 series saw.

attachment.php

The Super 797, this saw has been repainted, but the color looks pretty good in the photo's. 640 Bow in the background

attachment.php

The 640 Bow

attachment.php

Mark

The LeSabre; I take it these were primarily found in Canada. If you look closely you will see that the power head starts out as a 33/35 type and gets a handle and bar mounted to make a direct drive saw. Very few saws out there with a left handed bar mount.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am torn on what to do with this one, obviously it needs to have a serious cleaning but anything at all will take most of the paint off. Maybe I will just leave it as is for a while and see if another more rebuildable once comes my way. This one even had the "Thrifty Mac" logo on top. I have a 1-43 with a painted front handle (1/2 wrap bar) also sporting the "Thrifty Mac" logo.

Quite a week, actually. The 640 is a handsome set up and should clean up quite nicely. Someone had converted it to a Tillotson carburetor, I will see if I have the necessary linkages to switch it back to the original McCulloch flat back.

I am most intrigued by the LeSabre, but in many ways I am afraid to touch it and lose that ambiance.

The Super 797 was a nice find, now I just need to get it into some suitable wood and see what it has.

Mark

I like the 640, with the bow set up on the gear drive it just looks like it means business. I would like to see a video of it. I had never seen or even heard of the LeSabre. It definitely has a weird look to it with the bar on the left. Would you even be able to get parts for that? The Super 797 looks very healthy as well. As far as finding wood goes, I went to apply for a part time job at a Tree Service and wasnt able to get a job but they said when I get my 797 running I could cut on the wood they have in there back lot. Still havnt got to test that carb yet, had to iron out a couple of kinks. I am hopping to try it out this weekend.

I like the 640, with the bow set up on the gear drive it just looks like it means business. I would like to see a video of it. I had never seen or even heard of the LeSabre. It definitely has a weird look to it with the bar on the left. Would you even be able to get parts for that? The Super 797 looks very healthy as well. As far as finding wood goes, I went to apply for a part time job at a Tree Service and wasnt able to get a job but they said when I get my 797 running I could cut on the wood they have in there back lot. Still havnt got to test that carb yet, had to iron out a couple of kinks. I am hopping to try it out this weekend.

Brain, I would replace the broken left case behind
the flywheel or you will risk over heating that 797.
I remember seeing it on ebay and there was a big
chunk missing and you could see the flywheel.

Lee

Now understand that only the 640 with the bow came home with in from that lot, oh yeah and the Titan 57 that was connected to the 18" McCulloch bar you see sticking out in the lower right hand corner.

Here it last weeks hauls spread out on my floor, minus the Titan 57 which is already in storage in the "ready to use" saw barn.

R-L; Super 797 (I added the bar & chain), 640 Bow, LeSabre, Late 250, 1-70, D-36 hybrid, some odd ball 300 series saw.

attachment.php

Mark

Looks like you got some nice Mac saws there Mark.:cheers:
I like the 797 and the 640 Bow saw, The bracket mount on 640
looks like the bar bolts to it then the bracket bolts to the saw,
So the bar would look like some of the Poulans do or sorta like a
U shape?

Brain, I would replace the broken left case behind
the flywheel or you will risk over heating that 797.
I remember seeing it on ebay and there was a big
chunk missing and you could see the flywheel.

Lee

I saw that too. As soon as I have it(should be tomorrow or Thursday) I will confirm it is a 797, I am going to try and track that down as well as a decomp valve. Other than that I think it looked relatively clean, and shouldnt take too much to get it to run, I hope.

I saw that too. As soon as I have it(should be tomorrow or Thursday) I will confirm it is a 797, I am going to try and track that down as well as a decomp valve. Other than that I think it looked relatively clean, and shouldnt take too much to get it to run, I hope.

It's a 797, I had emailed the seller the first
time it was on the bay and they confirmed
the number on the bottom of the block was
66251 which is a 797. So start tracking them
parts down and git er in some wood.

Lee

Back