McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1-42 & 1-43 originally didn't come with a handlebar brace. They had a yellow plastic bumper covering the hole in the lower end of the rear handle. You could put a handle brace on one easily enough since all of the necessary mounting holes are there. I guess that was some marketing genius's idea at Mac HQ, of making another cosmetic alteration besides the normal switching of color combinations on the air filter & clutch covers, half wrap or full wrap handlebars, & stack pipe or round mufflers. Makes it a bit more difficult to put your foot in the "stirrup" while starting the saw on the ground, when there's no stirrup there to speak of. That brace also takes some of the wear & tear that the crankcase, crankcase cover, & fan housing would otherwise be subject to. It also makes it a bit easier to maintain your grip, & offers some protection to your hand. The brace would also helps prevent accidental throttle activation. in a time when grip safeties had yet to be developed.
:greenchainsaw:

You got it right, mine came without the brace and I bought one for it. It kinda felt awkward without the brace and the saw didn't look right.

Congratulations! I bet you feel like the kid in school who just got a really cool lunchbox.;) The construction of the early McCullochs is remarkable. They were engineered & built to last with some proper care. Back in their day, the owner's manuals contained instructions on how to do minor adjustments & repairs. (Today, it is all about the legal disclaimers.)

Send me your e mail address in a PM if you would like a copy of the IPL.:chainsaw:

These saws are not for the mechanically challenged! :dizzy:

:cheers:

mechanically challenged-you got that rite---pm you

3me3oc3l25Y05Z65S2a97d06720c2862d1d81.jpg

Can any of you gurus ID that saw?
Looks big?

My first Mac wase a 35a great powerful fun saws have you used yours yet

Haven't got use it yet. It was put away empty but dirty and the gearbox casting is broken at the front bolt for the bar mount, I found that when I pulled the bar off. The PO had just put a coarse thread bolt thru to hold the plate to the outside of the bar. I haven't decided how I want to go about fixing that yet.

Any reason not run modern 2 cycle oil in lieu of SAE 30?

Haven't got use it yet. It was put away empty but dirty and the gearbox casting is broken at the front bolt for the bar mount, I found that when I pulled the bar off. The PO had just put a coarse thread bolt thru to hold the plate to the outside of the bar. I haven't decided how I want to go about fixing that yet.

Any reason not run modern 2 cycle oil in lieu of SAE 30?

I don't think their is no reason not to run 2 cycle if you get the mix correct except it is more costly I do prefer to use sae oil cause it does seam to run a hair cooler and use less fuel (better mileage)but it does smoke a little more and smells worse---To fix it I would try to get another not working and use the gear assembly sorie it is brok

I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.

I have a few..here's one I picked up this weekend for very cheap. I've since done a little painting on it and probably do some more when I get time. It's a Pro Mac 55 with 24" bar. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but it's a runner!
attachment.php

I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.

I only have 2 so-far plenty other saws tho but only 2 Mac---A little beaver fore climbing and a 35A fore bucking up big logs also to rip fire logs with big knots in them---I don't have a splitter so I use an ax to split wood

SP125C - oiler

Are parts readily available to repair the oiler of an SP125C "that works some but not like it is supposed to". Sorry to be so vague but that is all I could get out of the seller. Thanks, Ron

CPR is right!

The Mcculloch are near impossible sometimes to give a 100% ID until the are in front of you and then, you still may need calipers!!!But when you have to pull out the calipers it is a good thing!!

Are parts readily available to repair the oiler of an SP125C "that works some but not like it is supposed to". Sorry to be so vague but that is all I could get out of the seller. Thanks, Ron

Parts should not be difficult to find as that same system was used on all of the saws from the 700 Series (740, 790, 795, 797) as well as the large frame CP and SP models.

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark. I assume saw value is like beauty, but what is a fair price for a running SP125C? The muffler appears to be a round directional type and the DSP appears to be in the SP105 position (there is a respected member who says in a tread that SP125 sometimes came with a DSP in that position notwithstanding the MacBob id site). Other than these two things the saw looks correct and complete. I have watched a video of the saw and it appears to run well. Thanks again, Ron

Below is a photo of an SP125 showing the original type muffler and the location of the compression release.

attachment.php

And here is a photo of the SP105, the compression release is in the same spot as the SP125.

attachment.php

The CP125 has the round muffler and the compression release more on the side of the cylinder, with the spring loaded lever/latch like the 795 and 797 models.

attachment.php

Sorry, I can't find a better photo of the 700 Series saws showing the muffler or the compression release (DSP or De-Stroking Port) more clearly right now.

Mark

A friend of mine might be bringing me a Mac 6-05 or 6-10 on Monday for around $25, if he can't sell it auction Saturday. I told him $25 was fine if it had all its parts and would fire.

Any advice, ideas, etc.? If I get one, I plan to just clean it up, give it the minimum repairs & maintenance (carb kit, fuel lines, etc.) and keep it around for a spare.

BTW, running low on REP !!! Yeah, I'm shameless.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back