McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 600 Series McCullochs are rather heavy, somewhat boxy in shape, loud (they are McCullochs after all), but they are very durable saws. I have a goal to collect the full set, so far I have the 605, 610, Eager Beaver 3.7, and Timber Bear versions. Oh yeah, I did pick up a running 650 today, now I just need the 655 and Silver Eagle edition.

Mark

I don't think their is no reason not to run 2 cycle if you get the mix correct except it is more costly I do prefer to use sae oil cause it does seam to run a hair cooler and use less fuel (better mileage)but it does smoke a little more and smells worse---To fix it I would try to get another not working and use the gear assembly sorie it is brok

If I can find another cover I might go that route, if I can't I was thinking of just machining the broken area flat and square and adding in another piece of metal and attaching it to the casting with a few recessed socket head cap screws.

I only had a few minutes to mess with it but, it did have ~145psi compression so, she should be a runner. :clap:

If I can find another cover I might go that route, if I can't I was thinking of just machining the broken area flat and square and adding in another piece of metal and attaching it to the casting with a few recessed socket head cap screws.

I only had a few minutes to mess with it but, it did have ~145psi compression so, she should be a runner. :clap:

good comp---have you talked to urbcide yet---the ipl is real cool

Just got a mac 110 very nice shape runs exellent all except for the oiler . It looks as if it is automatic and manual . It wont pump oil at all .The saw has sat for about 10 years could somthing have dried up in the oil pump or could it be plugged.? Has anyone else ran into this problem before? Any advice would be apreciated thanks in advance.

Just got a 7-10 yesterday and it seems to have weak spark, kind of yellowish instead of blue.

Removed the flywheel to check the points and it appears someone has put an electronic module in place of the points/condenser.

Found a conversion on the bag, it read "not for use with multiple magnet flywheels" my saw has 3 magnets.

Think this could be my weak spark issue?

The old girl will pop a couple of times, but she won't fire up, even with a squirt in the carb.

125 psi compression, not ideal, but it should run.

Last edited:
Working on a saw with no spark. Everything is gapped right, plug is new. Thinking condensor might be bad. I have some for the tractor, will they work or do I need a certain one?

Randy, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I think, yes. Whatever it is, though, it has a ton of compression and a very tight engine, probably as tight as I've ever held.

Chris B.

Last edited:
Just got a MAC 15 that I want to play with. What chain do I need for it? Does baileys have one? Pretty sure i read somewhere it's a .404, but wanted to check here first.

I think all of the 33 and 35 model saws would have had 1/2" pitch chain originally. It is possible to get .404 sprockets for McCulloch gear drive saws from Discount Marine in MI, but you will then have to figure out the DL count needed. Baileys could make up a .404 chain if you knew the gauge and DL count but they may have trouble figuring out what you need.

Mark

Working on a saw with no spark. Everything is gapped right, plug is new. Thinking condensor might be bad. I have some for the tractor, will they work or do I need a certain one?

The chances are that any condensor will work, for a while at least. The capacitance needs to be matched to the coil to minimize arcing at the points.

Mark

Checked over the Super 550 some more. I'm 99.9% sure that's what I have. Model#600110, serial prefix 13-. Has a Mac flatback choke carby, my standard 550 has a primer carb. The fullwrap on the S550 is slightly narrower than the standard, more like the Super 250 wrap. And the muffler is the round kart-style, but with a band clamp holding the cover one like a Super 250, versus the 2 bolt type on my standard 550.

I'm pretty much convinced I have a Super 550!!

Chris B.

I think all of the 33 and 35 model saws would have had 1/2" pitch chain originally. It is possible to get .404 sprockets for McCulloch gear drive saws from Discount Marine in MI, but you will then have to figure out the DL count needed. Baileys could make up a .404 chain if you knew the gauge and DL count but they may have trouble figuring out what you need.

Mark

Mark, I'm not sure I follow with the "33 and 35" reference, those are older and smaller saws. I'm getting the .404 pitch information from http://www.acresinternet.com/

I do have the chain here, it's just bum. it has some busted teeth on it. Only thing I can fine on it is a "5M" or a "M" for (I'm assuming) McCulloch.

I can count the DLs, so I guess I just need to know if the .063 will work, cause that's the only gauge they carry.

Sorry, I was thinking one thing while looking at something else.

The Mac 15 would have come with .404 chain but you still need to know the gauge (may be either .058 or .063). If you can tell me your bar length I can let you know how many drive links needed.

I have purchased both .058 and .063 gauge .404 pitch chain from Baileys in the past, to bad to see they only have .063 now. There are other places to buy chain out there.

Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back